Synthetic Oil smell?

bertypower_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just finished replacing my crankcase cover seals, and noticed a faint smell of maybe varnish or whatever when I was doing the left side. Didn't think much of it (oil looked normal just like it does outa the bottle not milky or mixed).

Since I had some time on my hands today I thought I would just open the oil filler cap and get a sniff. At first I thought it was gas, but its more of a varnish type smell than a fuel smell.

I don't notice a smell at all in my garage or anything, only when putting the cap up to my nose or right at the filler hole.
So I do not think its an issue. Just more of a curiosity really.

I also own another bike (W800) that is run on conventional oil and noticed a smell as well, altho not as "potent" I guess. but I haven't ridden that bike in a few days.

So the question is: For those of you guys that run synthetic Honda oil, what does your filler cap smell like after you've ridden a few hundred miles...

I've never really run a motorcycle on synthetic. I bought mine used and the previous owner used the Honda Synthetic. So I guess I'll keep it at that.

Thx!
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
I never smelled my oil , I just sniff glue...
Lol. Yeah, I’m just a little OCD at times. Just looked up on the Kawi forum and there’s a post. they say it’s a pretty normal smell.
 
Back
Top