Symmetry

I think the true "symmetry" in the cb1100 is we have two different models, one for each of their individual target buyer. Having two models on the Dragon in May is real symmetry!
 
Since the stock pipe on most bikes are polished steel or chromed, most manufacturers put it on the right so you see it when the bike is on the side stand and leaning to the left.
 
Once on the bike I am much more concerned about the symmetry of the front office. My Griso instrument panel is way off symmetry, I'm not fond of it. The CB on the other hand, has this wonderful panel of two large analog gauges - a proper motorcycle dash. It really helps to have two master cylinders; one for the clutch and a matching unit for the brake. Nice!

I would prefer a four into four to look at, but a four into one to keep clean. :)
 
Quote:It really helps to have two master cylinders; one for the clutch and a matching unit for the brake.
I know that's right. This is the first hydraulic clutch I've ever used. I love it. I was surprised by it. I actually bought the bike before I realized the clutch was hydraulic. Seriously. I just thought it was amazingly easy and smooth but never noticed why because I never had a bike with a hydraulic clutch before. Then I was looking over the bike after it was delivered and noticed the extra master cylinder...:excited::celebrate:
 
NightRider_imp said:
I think the true "symmetry" in the cb1100 is we have two different models, one for each of their individual target buyer. Having two models on the Dragon in May is real symmetry!
Might even be 3 models if we're lucky.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the things that makes a motorcycle beautiful to me is the symmetry, the balance if you will. Each side looks very much like the other side..whether from the side, or head on, or from the rear, you see the same thing. It's one of the things that appeals to me most about the CB Deluxe, and what bothered me the most about the 2013 model I had. I know a 4 into 1 was one of the most popular mods on multi cylinder bikes from the 70s and 80s. I even put one on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki, although immediately I knew the " look" bothered me. There was a big gaping hole on the left side where a muffler should be. The feng shui was off. It was out of balance ( visually).

This photo shows why I made the move to the 2014. A muffler on each side. The feng shui will be in order and life will be good again. Ahhhhhhhhhh



Have I mentioned yet, this 4 in 2 always reminds me of a wheelbarrow? :P

Can't help, I like the 4 in 1 on the right side much more: less weight, less cleaning, free access to the chain, less risk to get burned and easy climbing from left on the bike.

For me it also looks better, not so baroque. I like form follows function, no useless material. This is Feng Shui to me. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Yep, there's a reason why they don't put just one handle on a wheel barrow...BALANCE! Things are better when they are balanced :D
 
Thread starter
the_undecider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yep, there's a reason why they don't put just one handle on a wheel barrow...BALANCE! Things are better when they are balanced :D
Never tried to steer a motorcycle by the exhaust pipes, either :P
Never tried to steer a motorcycle by the exhaust pipes, either :P

Why would one ? It comes with handlebars.... with grips on BOTH sides of the bike, (not just one) Balance..symmetry.. Ahhhhhhhh. ;)
 
I figure that if I remove the RLET from my right lever, it will compensate for the single exhaust on that side, thus making my 2013 symmetrically asymmetrical. It will also have the added benefit of giving The Ferret a headache every time he sees my bike. :D
 
Django_imp said:
@The ferret: Good parry :thumbsup:

:beerchug:
Let them keep believing what they want. It is important for them to be able to sleep at night knowing that they have those 2014's out in the garage carrying around the extra weight of a pipe they don't need, the ungainly huge gas tank, more weight in the transmission, unnecessary electronics, etc. Everyone loves to complain about the CB1100 being heavy, and then folks make the mistake of buying the even wider, heavier, more portly version before they have a grasp for the svelte 2013. Once it is too late, then they have to imagine stories about why their decision was better, so don't pop their bubble! :P
 
You forgot the extra bulk of that heavy 6th gear all the junk that goes along with it. Sheesh! All that hidden weight that know one complains about because you can't see it. :angel:
 
Thread starter
pffft weight

Let me quote Peter Egan from his new book Leanings 3 which I am also reading

"I suppose you can carry this weight reduction thing a little too far, however, I recently showed my wife, Barbara, the very trick and lightweight LED tail light I'd bought for the Suzuki, at no small expense.

She hefted it in her hand for a moment and said " so why didn't you just skip lunch?"

So now I don't know whether to go jogging this evening or get out that soldering iron. My bike lost 7 pounds last fall, and I gained 10 this winter, so maybe I should do both. Spring is always a good time to lose a little sprung weight. "
 
In defense of the DLX's extra weight, it is evenly distributed on both sides which makes it just as slow through both right and left turns.

:thanks:
 
Ahhh, that classic component of any good auto/moto forum: generational divide!

In my S2000 forum it was the AP1 (99-03, 2.0L 9k RPM) vs AP2 (04-09, 2.2L 8k RPM).

SV650 forum it was gen 1 (curvy) vs. gen 2 (pointy)...

Battle lines have been drawn, gentlemen.

Brothers of the original design, unite!!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It's good to have a light bike; less weight to push up the ramp when you have to tow to the shop....... :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
pffft weight

Let me quote Peter Egan from his new book Leanings 3 which I am also reading

"I suppose you can carry this weight reduction thing a little too far, however, I recently showed my wife, Barbara, the very trick and lightweight LED tail light I'd bought for the Suzuki, at no small expense.

She hefted it in her hand for a moment and said " so why didn't you just skip lunch?"

So now I don't know whether to go jogging this evening or get out that soldering iron. My bike lost 7 pounds last fall, and I gained 10 this winter, so maybe I should do both. Spring is always a good time to lose a little sprung weight. "
Next time you go for a ride, don't start the engine :D
 
Back
Top