Symmetry

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
One of the things that makes a motorcycle beautiful to me is the symmetry, the balance if you will. Each side looks very much like the other side..whether from the side, or head on, or from the rear, you see the same thing. It's one of the things that appeals to me most about the CB Deluxe, and what bothered me the most about the 2013 model I had. I know a 4 into 1 was one of the most popular mods on multi cylinder bikes from the 70s and 80s. I even put one on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki, although immediately I knew the " look" bothered me. There was a big gaping hole on the left side where a muffler should be. The feng shui was off. It was out of balance ( visually).

This photo shows why I made the move to the 2014. A muffler on each side. The feng shui will be in order and life will be good again. Ahhhhhhhhhh

 
I tend to agree on this. Single mufflers make sense in some cases (e.g. my XR650L, a one lunger but oddly enough has two exhaust pipes into one and I digress again).

One of the reasons I could not warm to the DL650 from Suzuki was because of the single exhaust while the DL1000 had two (I hear it's down to one now).

On the flip side, I really like those mufflers that are on the bottom of the bike with a very short pipe exiting the side. Not as classic as the CB; but it's not intended to be.
 
My old 900 Ninja had 4into2, never thought much about it, but kept it stock for over 25 years, so must have liked it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh no, just got back from my 1st little trip and took some photos only of the r/h side, now just switched on and you have started this thread, will I ever love the L/H side.
 
Thread starter
I always thought the Kawasaki triple 2 stroke triples looked weird with one pipe on 1 side and 2 on the other, while the Suzuki two stroke triples looked balanced with 2 pipes on each side. My BSA Rocket 3 750 triple had a pipe on each side ( as did the triumph triples). All my twins had a pipe on each side ( but the CJ 360 which I never owned only had a pipe on the right and it looked weird) . The 77 Yamaha XS 750 triple had a pipe on one side for 1 year then went to a pipe on each side the next year.

The weirdest exhaust I can recall was the 3 pipes on the right side of the Vetter designed Triumph Hurricane.

Ever notice when they take side pictures of bikes with a muffler on 1 side, it's almost always from the muffler side?
 
Hey Ferret,

I could not agree with you more on the whole symmetry thing. :thumbsup:

I've never cared for bikes quite as much that didn't have nicely balanced features either... the exhaust being the big one. And here I was thinking that I've always been overly anal about such things. It's good to know I'm........

Hey, wait a second. It looks like the exhaust on that bike is a little uneven. Nope, I'm sure of it... left muffler is definitely higher than the right. :rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the things that makes a motorcycle beautiful to me is the symmetry, the balance if you will. Each side looks very much like the other side..whether from the side, or head on, or from the rear, you see the same thing. It's one of the things that appeals to me most about the CB Deluxe, and what bothered me the most about the 2013 model I had. I know a 4 into 1 was one of the most popular mods on multi cylinder bikes from the 70s and 80s. I even put one on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki, although immediately I knew the " look" bothered me. There was a big gaping hole on the left side where a muffler should be. The feng shui was off. It was out of balance ( visually).

This photo shows why I made the move to the 2014. A muffler on each side. The feng shui will be in order and life will be good again. Ahhhhhhhhhh



I couldn't agree more. In my case, a 4 into 1 would have been OK if it was on the left side because of the sidecar. But, I hate it when the only pipe is between the bike and the sidecar. The 4 into 2 will look great. Of course, if I lived in Australia like Carmanus, it would be no problem because the sidecar would be on the left side.
 
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
 
Guth_imp said:
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
It needed to be like that because my 1150rt used to eat rear tyres and it was an easy job to take of the rear wheel.
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
It needed to be like that because my 1150rt used to eat rear tyres and it was an easy job to take of the rear wheel.
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
I rode BMW's for eons. The late model bikes have no swing-arm on the left because the shaft-drive/swing-arm on the right side is the whole shabang (it's opposite on some models). The rear wheel bolts on like a car wheel with no symmetry. It's works good but I always thought it looked weird.
It needed to be like that because my 1150rt used to eat rear tyres and it was an easy job to take of the rear wheel.
 
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.
 
The bike is not symmetrical as Guth reports.

Symmetry is style. Those who favor style over performance like symmetry, everything neatly ordered and squared away, in its place.

High performance motorcycles are highly unsymmetrical, particularly with respect to the drivetrain and powerplant. I wonder how much weight the twin-pipe setup adds to the bike, for example, when the 4-into-1 gets the job done nicely?

A short list of asymmetrical things on the typical superbike:

-cable type clutch, hydraulic brake master cylinder, usually transparent plastic and raised well above the handlebar (the Honda has nice symmetrical hydraulic reservoirs for both clutch and front brakes).
-swingarm; all modern superbikes have a grossly asymmetrical swingarm configuration
-exhaust; all have a 4-into-1

However, the opposite is true for aircraft where perfect symmetry is highly desirable. Something tells me the average CB1100 aficionado likes the look of a B-17 or other WWII multi-engine bomber.
 
The VStrom 650 always had a single muffler vs. the dual on the 1000, and it did look like there was a gaping hole.

BMW seems to be into asymmetric design; the S1000RR is quite different from one side to the other. Even the other bikes like the GS have asymmetrical headlights.

It's been said that the most attractive people are that way because they have symmetrical, balanced features, especially the face. Tragically most women have one boob that's larger than the other, completely ruining their appeal.
 
That Hurricane was one eye-catching bike.

I think moving away from the 4 into 1 system for the CB1100 Deluxe was pretty much mandatory given the design objective. And while a 4 into 4 system might have looked a bit more "period correct", I honestly prefer the 4 into 2 exhaust over a 4 into 4 system which would have added more expense and weight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.

Then there would be no place for the rear disc and caliper..which balances out the chain and sprocket on the left side.

Bikes look better with 2 rear view mirrors instead of just one on the left ( which is legal in the U.S.)

They look better with dual discs on the front instead of just on 1 side of the wheel.

They look better with either a single headlight in the center or two equal size headlights side by side, than with 2 different shaped / sized headlights side by side.

Symmetry... It calms me :D
 
I'd also add that the CB1100 isn't really about performance and the Deluxe model embraces that fact by adding a dual exhaust and the visual symmetry that comes along with it. In real world use, I'm guessing that any difference in performance will be negligible.

I think the most notable thing about the new design is how many more "what year is it?" conversations it will start. Honda really hit the bullseye on the retro front with this one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top