Symmetry

Thread starter
It's funny, when you mentioned the symmetry in that seat time thread, it just reminded me of this whole rambling conversation we had that went on about symmetry, or lack thereof, and yes the conversation went down some very strange paths in the course of the discussion. Fun read though. Glad you enjoyed it.
 
Taken from an article written by Andrea Kuszewski entitled, The Science of Pleasure: Part One - The Allure of Asymmetry:

"From an evolutionary standpoint, symmetry implies fitness to reproduce. Animals and organic objects with a great deal of symmetry are generally without genetic flaws, and thus more likely to reproduce and have viable offspring. It would make sense that these are preferred for purely mating purposes.

However, when it comes to what we are drawn to for the sake of pleasure or romance, we tend to prefer complex, interesting, not-always-perfectly-symmetrical patterns. Several studies have been done on facial symmetry (here's a summary)- babies prefer looking at symmetrical faces, and adults rate symmetrical faces as more attractive. Interestingly, while we may judge symmetrical faces as more attractive, those aren't always the ones we are most drawn to sexually or romantically. How many times have you felt mesmerized by someone's looks, and you can't quite explain why? We tend to go for the people with more interesting or exotic features, slightly asymmetrical- still beautiful, but not too perfect."

So, sure, your perfect DLXs with their perfect 4-into-2 pipes and perfect balance may be pleasing to look at but it's our standard 4-into-1s that evoke passion and yearning!

And consider these excerpts from an article by Stephanie Shapiro of the Baltimore Sun:
"Increasingly, asymmetry is the objective of designers who are guided, as industrial designer Muren is, by the ethos of sustainable living. Also influential are the principles of imperfection revered in Japanese culture and the rededication to modern form found in contemporary architecture and industrial design."

"Tony Kawanari, a professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Design, teaches a furniture class according to the Japanese principles of resourcefulness, compactness, simplicity and asymmetry. Symmetry, he says, is "boring as hell.""

Hmmm, Japanese principle of asymmetry...you don't say. Haha.

So, yes, your DLXs are attractive, well-balanced, even beautiful machines. But our standards evoke an almost indescribable passion and emotion and adhere to a traditional Japanese aesthetic in keeping with a culture that finds beauty in the imperfections that make up our natural world and translate perfectly into motorcycle design.

How's that for trying to convince myself that it's okay that my bike is lopsided?
 
Rboe_imp said:
Did we mention left hand symmetry and right hand symmetry? :angel:
Well an earlier post did suggest running a fake chain and sprocket on the right side of the hub. Pretty funny stuff...
 
Thread starter
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Taken from an article written by Andrea Kuszewski entitled, The Science of Pleasure: Part One - The Allure of Asymmetry:

"From an evolutionary standpoint, symmetry implies fitness to reproduce. Animals and organic objects with a great deal of symmetry are generally without genetic flaws, and thus more likely to reproduce and have viable offspring. It would make sense that these are preferred for purely mating purposes.

However, when it comes to what we are drawn to for the sake of pleasure or romance, we tend to prefer complex, interesting, not-always-perfectly-symmetrical patterns. Several studies have been done on facial symmetry (here's a summary)- babies prefer looking at symmetrical faces, and adults rate symmetrical faces as more attractive. Interestingly, while we may judge symmetrical faces as more attractive, those aren't always the ones we are most drawn to sexually or romantically. How many times have you felt mesmerized by someone's looks, and you can't quite explain why? We tend to go for the people with more interesting or exotic features, slightly asymmetrical- still beautiful, but not too perfect."

So, sure, your perfect DLXs with their perfect 4-into-2 pipes and perfect balance may be pleasing to look at but it's our standard 4-into-1s that evoke passion and yearning!

And consider these excerpts from an article by Stephanie Shapiro of the Baltimore Sun:
"Increasingly, asymmetry is the objective of designers who are guided, as industrial designer Muren is, by the ethos of sustainable living. Also influential are the principles of imperfection revered in Japanese culture and the rededication to modern form found in contemporary architecture and industrial design."

"Tony Kawanari, a professor at the University of Cincinnati College of Design, teaches a furniture class according to the Japanese principles of resourcefulness, compactness, simplicity and asymmetry. Symmetry, he says, is "boring as hell.""

Hmmm, Japanese principle of asymmetry...you don't say. Haha.

So, yes, your DLXs are attractive, well-balanced, even beautiful machines. But our standards evoke an almost indescribable passion and emotion and adhere to a traditional Japanese aesthetic in keeping with a culture that finds beauty in the imperfections that make up our natural world and translate perfectly into motorcycle design.

How's that for trying to convince myself that it's okay that my bike is lopsided?
:rofl:
 
A slightly different perspective for sure.

And I could live with that Bike!

Dart Fly Screen?? Looks like just enough.
Nice seat, and mirrors,

Even the bag looks good,

Man, I am starting to really hate winter.
 
LostViking_imp said:
A slightly different perspective for sure.

And I could live with that Bike!

Dart Fly Screen?? Looks like just enough.
Nice seat, and mirrors,

Even the bag looks good,

Man, I am starting to really hate winter.
Thank you, the bike is shaping up nicely. Just a few more mods and I think I'm finished.

That's the Dart screen. Since this photo, I have added some Chic Design hand guards which seem to supplement the screen in blocking wind from my chest.
 
Winter is the time to repair and farkle. Son and I were in the garage working on my BMW and missed the mailman with two package from Samurider! Tomorrow to the post office at 9am to get those packages.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
And there was I thinking US winters were a time for forum members to ponder symmetry and other wonders.

Can't wait to hear what's in the packages, Elipten. :)
 
The Comet 1 for the DLX, Over crash bars and the Stainless instrument cover. Forgot to order the red headlight bucket! But still waiting for the Force Design carbon fiber tank protector for the DLX.

About to pull trigger an aluminum panniers for the 1990 BMW now that I got the rack mounted over the holiday. Thinking the same for one of my CBs.

When bonus comes blue tank and side covers are on my dream list with re flash. For the CB 2013 std.

Oh how I dream of spoked wheels.

Decisions, decisions


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Or asymmetrically ironic? I wish I could decide.
 
When the ferret gets a set of chrome meter covers and the red headlight bucket on his DLX....that will be symmetry "First Class". I enjoy looking at both the 13's & 14's. They are both unique and beautiful motorcycles to me.
 
I always thought God meant for motorcycles to have two pipes, one on each side. So, I went looking for a 2014 Deeelux, of course. But as fate would have it, I walked into the local Honda dealer and he had a 14 Black Edition sitting on the floor and so I decided to sit on her and naturally I mounted it on the left hand side, the normal side you mount bikes and horses and the like. I noticed there was no potentially hot pipe on that side and the light bulb went on.

I then realized this was the way God meant things to be, surely it is in Revelation cause that's what it was, there is no hot pipe on the side you and your girl get on and off the bike. The salesman also mentioned it was lighter with the one pipe and also pointed out how beautiful the black metallic paint was in the sunlight and so I kept some money and bought the Black Edition with her lighter pipe on the right, the correct side!

Sorry guys, symmetry might seem nice but having the hot pipe on the right side is just Right! You know, I'm sure I'm not the only one with the money to buy a delux but instead bought the same model that got all that attention carving up that New York road on youtube.
So, all I can say friends with red bikes, you guys can either spend your time polishing that extra set of chrome pipes ... or you can ride the night.:beerchug:
 
If I had to pick one thing on my 13 I dislike the most its the exhaust. The muffler is too big and the header pipes discolor. 4 into 1 was popular back in the 70s I guess with headers but I like a 4 into 4 or 4 into 2 much better. I have often wondered what a 14dlx exhaust system would cost but was afraid to ask because I know it would be high. I like the silver engine on the 14 with the lighter colored mag wheels along with all the other goodies like 6 gears and ABS. I think the 14dlx is the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen. WE all have different tastes but the 14dlx checks all of the boxes for me. Maybe some day.

All of that said I love my 13. Its a fantastic ride for the money and has not disappointed me in the least.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
If I had to pick one thing on my 13 I dislike the most its the exhaust. The muffler is too big and the header pipes discolor. 4 into 1 was popular back in the 70s I guess with headers but I like a 4 into 4 or 4 into 2 much better. I have often wondered what a 14dlx exhaust system would cost but was afraid to ask because I know it would be high. I like the silver engine on the 14 with the lighter colored mag wheels along with all the other goodies like 6 gears and ABS. I think the 14dlx is the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen. WE all have different tastes but the 14dlx checks all of the boxes for me. Maybe some day.

All of that said I love my 13. Its a fantastic ride for the money and has not disappointed me in the least.
It seems most bikes in the last 10 years suffer from BHMF (Big Honkin' Muffler Syndrome). Some have the catalytic converter housed in the silencer adding to the size. On the CB, it's in the header collector, so I question why the CB has such a big can. I like the Look of a lower profile aftermarket muffler such as the Staintune or Arrow. Also, Samurider carries a 4-2 system that retains the center stand. It's called the Tadao Power Box Two Tails.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Hmmm, two sidecars with a bike in the middle. Symmetrical maybe, but I think it would resemble giant training wheels. ;)
It would still look less ridiculous than those Sahara Snowmobiles I'm seeing more of...



All of the disadvantages of a car, with none of a annoying performance, efficiency, or fun of a motorcycle.
It would still look less ridiculous than those Sahara Snowmobiles I'm seeing more of...



All of the disadvantages of a car, with none of a annoying performance, efficiency, or fun of a motorcycle.
I love the Can Am, personally think it's a beautiful ride and I would love to have one for touring, my Contessa would ride on it.

I like the looks of dual pipes out the back and they do provide protection for the turn signals though the Honda has rubber mounted ones so it's not much of an issue. What I like about one pipe is no hot pipe in the way when cleaning and lubing the chain. It's all about what makes us happy, much like the 5 v 6 gear preference. Honda has provided us some good choices concerning this boutique motorcycle.
 
Back
Top