Symmetry

DSD_imp said:
Your point is well taken on symmetry. I remember
Peter Egan talking about going out to his garage
with a beer and just setting down and and looking
at a bike. I can relate to that.
Once my doctor said my feng shui was off, I think
he gave medicine for it.
Hell I am in the minority again.

I never warmed to Peter Egan, nor could I connect with Gordon Jennings.:-/

My impression from their work, which continues to this day, was always that it was a good idea to get old and know everything as soon as possible...and then write about it with a studied, boilerplate approach.

Ari Henning and Bradley Cooper are more to my taste. They are young, fresh, full of new ideas, and can ride like the wind...just like their fathers.

It's hard to grow old in the motorcycle journalism niche; it really is mostly a youthful sport with change coming fast and furious. MotoGP does not resemble the Formula 1 GP racing I grew up with but I got my mind around it quite rapidly. It is all about crossing the finish line first, asymmetric or not. Mike Hailwood has not raced for some time, nor has Freddie Spencer.:worship:

Why the hell do I own a CB1100? Oh yeah, 'cause it's a great motorcycle and not just for old farts. I have the asymmetrical one and am damn proud of it.:rofl:
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the things that makes a motorcycle beautiful to me is the symmetry, the balance if you will. Each side looks very much like the other side..whether from the side, or head on, or from the rear, you see the same thing. It's one of the things that appeals to me most about the CB Deluxe, and what bothered me the most about the 2013 model I had. I know a 4 into 1 was one of the most popular mods on multi cylinder bikes from the 70s and 80s. I even put one on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki, although immediately I knew the " look" bothered me. There was a big gaping hole on the left side where a muffler should be. The feng shui was off. It was out of balance ( visually).

This photo shows why I made the move to the 2014. A muffler on each side. The feng shui will be in order and life will be good again. Ahhhhhhhhhh



I'm sure it's a personal taste thing. But I being OCD usually like symmetry. But in my mid years I'm coming to appreciate things off balance or out of order. Even hanging pictures in a bit of whimsy.
With that said I saw a scrambler in person. Not this one. That I loved the off balance look. Would like to mimic with my cb.
To me. Looks sweeeeet


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Interesting discussion. I am glad, Ferret, that you finally found the CB that makes your Feng Shui balanced again.
I know that many people prefer symmetric mufflers, while other do not care about that at all. And thinking about this, I guess that this is not only a visual question. It's also about what people personally interpret into the look.

An example: As kid I was impressed by the power and beauty of a Star Destroyer. But I really wanted to join the party in the Millennium Falcon. Because whereas the former expressed conformity and structure, the latter had character, and this was expressed visually by the asymmetrical form.
Today for me still the HD Super Glide is one of the most beautiful bikes one can buy. And it has character. Symmetric mufflers would probably spoil that impression, and look boring.

But back to the CB. I like the 4-1 very much, because the look of the Header is a special kind of art for me. It is something only a 4-cyclinder can offer. And I urgently wanted to have 4 cylinders this time (My first bike was a 2 cyclinder GSX400E with symmetric mufflers). Whereas the exhaust of the new DLX now looks similar to the Thruxton of my brother - symmetric, but nothing special, a little bit old-fashioned, not as excitig as the 4-1 (IMHO). But for people that aim for the real Retro-look (like my Brother with his Thruxton), symmetric mufflers is exactly the look they are looking for.
For me, getting on my CB is a little bit like entering the Falcon: It's not symmetric, but it makes me feel: the adventure now starts. Death Star – where are you. And I get my Feng Shui balanced again after the ride – with a good glass of wine. :D
Hope I could express what I wanted to say with my lousy English. And please excuse if I offended anybody - this was not my intention.
 
The ferret_imp said:
One of the things that makes a motorcycle beautiful to me is the symmetry, the balance if you will. Each side looks very much like the other side..whether from the side, or head on, or from the rear, you see the same thing. It's one of the things that appeals to me most about the CB Deluxe, and what bothered me the most about the 2013 model I had. I know a 4 into 1 was one of the most popular mods on multi cylinder bikes from the 70s and 80s. I even put one on my 83 GS 1100E Suzuki, although immediately I knew the " look" bothered me. There was a big gaping hole on the left side where a muffler should be. The feng shui was off. It was out of balance ( visually).

This photo shows why I made the move to the 2014. A muffler on each side. The feng shui will be in order and life will be good again. Ahhhhhhhhhh




Couldn't agree more, 4 into 2, make the bike look so much better. Any idea on how much a 4 into 2 ( factory Honda exaust system would be? I'm thinking in the $1500 range. If under a $1,000 I would go for it. I might work on buying some factory Honda hubs, Buchannan spokes and stock factory Honda rims and lace up a set of spoke wheels.
 
biker_imp said:
Interesting discussion. I am glad, Ferret, that you finally found the CB that makes your Feng Shui balanced again.
I know that many people prefer symmetric mufflers, while other do not care about that at all. And thinking about this, I guess that this is not only a visual question. It's also about what people personally interpret into the look.

An example: As kid I was impressed by the power and beauty of a Star Destroyer. But I really wanted to join the party in the Millennium Falcon. Because whereas the former expressed conformity and structure, the latter had character, and this was expressed visually by the asymmetrical form.
Today for me still the HD Super Glide is one of the most beautiful bikes one can buy. And it has character. Symmetric mufflers would probably spoil that impression, and look boring.

But back to the CB. I like the 4-1 very much, because the look of the Header is a special kind of art for me. It is something only a 4-cyclinder can offer. And I urgently wanted to have 4 cylinders this time (My first bike was a 2 cyclinder GSX400E with symmetric mufflers). Whereas the exhaust of the new DLX now looks similar to the Thruxton of my brother - symmetric, but nothing special, a little bit old-fashioned, not as excitig as the 4-1 (IMHO). But for people that aim for the real Retro-look (like my Brother with his Thruxton), symmetric mufflers is exactly the look they are looking for.
For me, getting on my CB is a little bit like entering the Falcon: It's not symmetric, but it makes me feel: the adventure now starts. Death Star – where are you. And I get my Feng Shui balanced again after the ride – with a good glass of wine. :D
Hope I could express what I wanted to say with my lousy English. And please excuse if I offended anybody - this was not my intention.
Perfectly stated. :beerchug:
 
biker_imp said:
Interesting discussion. I am glad, Ferret, that you finally found the CB that makes your Feng Shui balanced again.
I know that many people prefer symmetric mufflers, while other do not care about that at all. And thinking about this, I guess that this is not only a visual question. It's also about what people personally interpret into the look.

An example: As kid I was impressed by the power and beauty of a Star Destroyer. But I really wanted to join the party in the Millennium Falcon. Because whereas the former expressed conformity and structure, the latter had character, and this was expressed visually by the asymmetrical form.
Today for me still the HD Super Glide is one of the most beautiful bikes one can buy. And it has character. Symmetric mufflers would probably spoil that impression, and look boring.

But back to the CB. I like the 4-1 very much, because the look of the Header is a special kind of art for me. It is something only a 4-cyclinder can offer. And I urgently wanted to have 4 cylinders this time (My first bike was a 2 cyclinder GSX400E with symmetric mufflers). Whereas the exhaust of the new DLX now looks similar to the Thruxton of my brother - symmetric, but nothing special, a little bit old-fashioned, not as excitig as the 4-1 (IMHO). But for people that aim for the real Retro-look (like my Brother with his Thruxton), symmetric mufflers is exactly the look they are looking for.
For me, getting on my CB is a little bit like entering the Falcon: It's not symmetric, but it makes me feel: the adventure now starts. Death Star – where are you. And I get my Feng Shui balanced again after the ride – with a good glass of wine. :D
Hope I could express what I wanted to say with my lousy English. And please excuse if I offended anybody - this was not my intention.
There is no problem at all with your English; it is excellent. Nicely said.
 
biker_imp said:
Interesting discussion. I am glad, Ferret, that you finally found the CB that makes your Feng Shui balanced again.
I know that many people prefer symmetric mufflers, while other do not care about that at all. And thinking about this, I guess that this is not only a visual question. It's also about what people personally interpret into the look.

An example: As kid I was impressed by the power and beauty of a Star Destroyer. But I really wanted to join the party in the Millennium Falcon. Because whereas the former expressed conformity and structure, the latter had character, and this was expressed visually by the asymmetrical form.
Today for me still the HD Super Glide is one of the most beautiful bikes one can buy. And it has character. Symmetric mufflers would probably spoil that impression, and look boring.

But back to the CB. I like the 4-1 very much, because the look of the Header is a special kind of art for me. It is something only a 4-cyclinder can offer. And I urgently wanted to have 4 cylinders this time (My first bike was a 2 cyclinder GSX400E with symmetric mufflers). Whereas the exhaust of the new DLX now looks similar to the Thruxton of my brother - symmetric, but nothing special, a little bit old-fashioned, not as excitig as the 4-1 (IMHO). But for people that aim for the real Retro-look (like my Brother with his Thruxton), symmetric mufflers is exactly the look they are looking for.
For me, getting on my CB is a little bit like entering the Falcon: It's not symmetric, but it makes me feel: the adventure now starts. Death Star – where are you. And I get my Feng Shui balanced again after the ride – with a good glass of wine. :D
Hope I could express what I wanted to say with my lousy English. And please excuse if I offended anybody - this was not my intention.
Perfect front to back on this topic. I could not agree more. Love the Star Wars reference. Surely our demographic appreciates this analogy. 4-1 is sexy. And heck when I out pics of the custom single side gentleman's retro bag on the left side I think many will appreciate the asymmetry.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, 4 into 2, make the bike look so much better. Any idea on how much a 4 into 2 ( factory Honda exaust system would be? I'm thinking in the $1500 range. If under a $1,000 I would go for it. I might work on buying some factory Honda hubs, Buchannan spokes and stock factory Honda rims and lace up a set of spoke wheels.
A user from a German CB 1100 forum had the same idea and contacted Honda for a quote. A spare for the CB1100 EX (2014) exhaust costs in Germany aprox. €4800 / $ 3600....crazy
 
Thread starter
The really nice thing is...Honda is giving us this choice

Thank you Honda :worship:
 
2015. Closely followed by a thread on 4 into 4 owners looking to lighten their bikes and improve performance by installing a 4 into 1 system!
 
Thread starter
Capo_imp said:
2015. Closely followed by a thread on 4 into 4 owners looking to lighten their bikes and improve performance by installing a 4 into 1 system!
:rofl:
 
itsme67_imp said:
Quote:
Couldn't agree more, 4 into 2, make the bike look so much better. Any idea on how much a 4 into 2 ( factory Honda exaust system would be? I'm thinking in the $1500 range. If under a $1,000 I would go for it. I might work on buying some factory Honda hubs, Buchannan spokes and stock factory Honda rims and lace up a set of spoke wheels.
A user from a German CB 1100 forum had the same idea and contacted Honda for a quote. A spare for the CB1100 EX (2014) exhaust costs in Germany aprox. €4800 / $ 3600....crazy
It's even crazier. Euro 4800 (including 19% VAT) are almost 6600 USD!! These Honda spare part prices are completely ridiculous. Really thinking about buying a BMW next time (if there only was one I liked...)
 
Thread starter
Buffalohead..I am not an engineer, but as I understand it, a 4 into 1 exhaust designed for performance (not appearance) has something to do with the length of the head tubes, or how far the exhaust pulses must travel, whereas each exhaust firing is timed so that it pulls the next exhaust firing along with it, I assume like 4 motorcycles drafting each other down the back straight thereby making the exhaust more efficient.

Don't know if that qualifies as an exhaust extractor or not? Or if I even explained it correctly.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Buffalohead..I am not an engineer, but as I understand it, a 4 into 1 exhaust designed for performance (not appearance) has something to do with the length of the head tubes, or how far the exhaust pulses must travel, whereas each exhaust firing is timed so that it pulls the next exhaust firing along with it, I assume like 4 motorcycles drafting each other down the back straight thereby making the exhaust more efficient.

Don't know if that qualifies as an exhaust extractor or not? Or if I even explained it correctly.
Yes, that is what an extractor does. I guess a better question would be "are all 4 pipes the same length?" If so, that would make it an extractor (for the reasons you described). But I wasn't sure if there was enough room for same length pipes or if it would look right.
 
Capo_imp said:
I don't fully agree....
[/php]
[/QUOTE] [/php]
[/QUOTE]

The most beautiful motorcycle EVER built, IMAO.
One of my biggest regrets is passing on one that was available from my local Triumph dealer back then because I was spending the cash on a car and already had two bikes.:s
 
What a hoot of a thread to read.

As a New Guy here I mentioned in a Seat Time thread about liking the symmetric
look of the Deluxe. Ferret suggested I search for and check out this thread.

I'm here to tell folks, there is some great stuff here. I don't think in my entire internet career, which admittedly isn't as long as many others. I don't beleive I have ever seen a thread that incorporated so many different subjects and wove them so seamlessly into the original topic.

Aviation History,
Feng Shui,
Dragsters,
Side Cars,
Double Sided Side Cars,
Breasts,
Freddie Spencer,
Star wars,
Snowmobiles,
And my personal favorite, Colonel Klink! (RIP Werner)

I chukled from start to finish. There is some great information and some really funny stuff in here. But what struck me the most was, that even though everyone had their own opinion. You all still got along extremely well. To me that was the best part.

That in itself speaks volumes to me.

I will probably go back and read it again at some point. I am sure there are many subtle nuances in there that I missed. Great thread. I'm glad I was directed to it. I hope I'm not in trouble for dredging it back up after so long.
 
Back
Top