Symmetry

Headbanger02_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
If I am going to have three wheels, I much prefer the traditional look of a sidecar. At least they have a history behind them.
I never felt that way with side cars, just front or rear wheels....
I never felt that way with side cars, just front or rear wheels....
That's what trikes are for. But, when I see a guy (or woman) with a sidecar, I think, "There's a guy who likes sidecars". When I see a guy on a trike, I think, "There's a guy who needs a trike". From what I've discovered, it's a very common view.
 
I prefer the curvaceous four header pipes , reminiscent of the CB400f, weaving their way into one silencer. The Deluxe is beautiful, too, but I've not for one moment lusted after it. I also prefer the stacked exhaust of the Ducati Monster, and the early Triumph Thunderbird Sport, but I thinking has a lot to do with the twisting headers on multi- cylinder bikes.

I do like symmetrical breasts, however.
 
An obvious example where asymmetry = ugly. A German WWII era BV141. It wasn't enough to have oddball fuselage sections, they had to make the tail cockeyed as well. Truly one of the ugliest planes I've ever seen.

07278daef1cdbd185c9d7ccdd2c9a6cb.jpg
 
Thread starter
That IS ugly! Did it fly?
 
The ferret_imp said:
That IS ugly! Did it fly?
It did. It was actually a pretty good performer as a recon platform. They only made about 30 of them.
 
Have to give those Nazis credit; I'd be laughing too hard to shoot at it, and once I got done laughing, I'd have no idea where to aim. And then the pity factor would kick in... there's no playground honor in beating up on the lopsided wheelchair kid.

Kudos, Nazis. It's not too hard to figure out where to shoot a symmetric aircraft to bring it down.
Asymmetrie uber alles...



2c8d3e7362f65016887592cb371f0e6c.jpg

e74d8b86c69cdae2c185a2a4b7bd6f7e.jpg

1877c7b991dfc1759da696aa7975dba8.jpeg
 
Good grief. Five pages? It must not be riding season in most of the country.

That's the Luftwaffe to y'all, BTW. Krauts, maybe. But those guys were way, way ahead of the rest of us for a while. Some brilliant engineering and let us not forget they were first with operational jets and rocketry. Good thing they did not figure out The Bomb in time for complete world domination.
Guth_imp said:
My Hawk GT would qualify as intentionally anti-symmetrical with its exhaust on the right side and the single sided swingarm on the left. Back in '88 I thought it was one of the coolest bikes I had ever laid eyes on. I might be in need of counseling. :D

In all honesty, I can very much understand the desire for visual symmetry and the sense of calm it brings. Ironically, the rear view of the bike is the one that highlights best the most non-symmetrical things about any bike: the offset required on the drive system side.
Your Hawk GT is a high-performance motorcycle.
Guth_imp said:
I'd also add that the CB1100 isn't really about performance and the Deluxe model embraces that fact by adding a dual exhaust and the visual symmetry that comes along with it. In real world use, I'm guessing that any difference in performance will be negligible.

I think the most notable thing about the new design is how many more "what year is it?" conversations it will start. Honda really hit the bullseye on the retro front with this one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Went through that a few times today. Two bicycle cops were on the sidewalk as I waited for a light to change. "What year is that?"

Got to the motorcycle accessory store...an older guy asked, "What year is that?"

What a fun bike to ride.
The Luftwaffe had a whole slew of airplanes we'd call ugly; they were throwing all kinds of stuff at the wall to see what would stick, which is how you do it when you want to get ahead of everyone else. The aircraft pictured could be considered one of them but there are lots of others. They also had the best aircraft of the War and the first operational helicopter; it was a very good thing most of their pilots and aircraft were either dead or disabled by late 1944. The late model Fw 190's with methanol/water injection and twin cannons were blazing fast, handled like a dream, and lethal as hell. Few were made. Also late model Bf 109 and the Ta 152 series were stunning airplanes.

That said, the P-51D Mustang was the most effective fighter to come out of that era, all things considered.
 
I'm with Ferret... compare the look of this...
49732bec4df12b2b76c505f6fe44723c.jpg


With this...
f642cd9d5fa8a35dd3b6c24e128e7774.jpg


Symmetry is important in design... Think Apple vs. HP. Or
Cadillac vs. Lincoln. Or a Nest thermostat vs. a Standard.
Is one inherently better than the other? Personal opinion....

But you can't deny how this bike looks....

b43dfd67ac0d317e7587a29ca50141ad.jpg

514cbc5a0027c69fd3a3d70ddf3a7f8e.jpg

d7b18f0685e1ae94b4d40d4cf43042db.jpg

dc71501e60549817a3bcaed52cbd7e2f.jpg

146bdac3a086a13784905bab3151aa5f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
ride4now_imp said:
I'm with Ferret... compare the look of this...
49732bec4df12b2b76c505f6fe44723c.jpg


With this...
f642cd9d5fa8a35dd3b6c24e128e7774.jpg


Symmetry is important in design... Think Apple vs. HP. Or
Cadillac vs. Lincoln. Or a Nest thermostat vs. a Standard.
Is one inherently better than the other? Personal opinion....

But you can't deny how this bike looks....

b43dfd67ac0d317e7587a29ca50141ad.jpg

514cbc5a0027c69fd3a3d70ddf3a7f8e.jpg

d7b18f0685e1ae94b4d40d4cf43042db.jpg

dc71501e60549817a3bcaed52cbd7e2f.jpg

146bdac3a086a13784905bab3151aa5f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Personal indeed.

While some folks like The ferret will be comforted by the symmetry and stronger nod to the past offered by the Deluxe version, and others like myself are more turned on by the contrast offered by the original design, I'm guessing that most here will agree that either option looks better than a bike covered almost entirely in plastic.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The VStrom 650 always had a single muffler vs. the dual on the 1000, and it did look like there was a gaping hole.

BMW seems to be into asymmetric design; the S1000RR is quite different from one side to the other. Even the other bikes like the GS have asymmetrical headlights.

It's been said that the most attractive people are that way because they have symmetrical, balanced features, especially the face. Tragically most women have one boob that's larger than the other, completely ruining their appeal.
Papabear_imp said:
I'm still thinking about those breasts!
Capo_imp said:
I prefer the curvaceous four header pipes , reminiscent of the CB400f, weaving their way into one silencer. The Deluxe is beautiful, too, but I've not for one moment lusted after it. I also prefer the stacked exhaust of the Ducati Monster, and the early Triumph Thunderbird Sport, but I thinking has a lot to do with the twisting headers on multi- cylinder bikes.

I do like symmetrical breasts, however.
A young lady biker out west
Whose large asymmetrical breasts
Unbalanced her ride:
It leaned to one side
Bought a sidecar to carry her chest.

Enough already?
 
I like the 4-1 exhaust because of, not in spite of, its lack of symmetry. I think there's a certain elegance in the way the pipes are bent. That said, the 4-2 is definately a more balanced look hitch has its own appeal.
 
Ladies and Gentlemen you are missing the point completely. The reason there are numerous types of music, art, cars and dare I say motorcycles IS BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES. Spice is the variety of life, and almost all motorcycles have some beauty some where, some more than others. I'm just grateful I can ride and the government has not made them illegal.

ENJOY THEM ALL, AND RIDE, RIDE AND RIDE.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
The VStrom 650 always had a single muffler vs. the dual on the 1000, and it did look like there was a gaping hole.

BMW seems to be into asymmetric design; the S1000RR is quite different from one side to the other. Even the other bikes like the GS have asymmetrical headlights.

It's been said that the most attractive people are that way because they have symmetrical, balanced features, especially the face. Tragically most women have one boob that's larger than the other, completely ruining their appeal.
Papabear_imp said:
I'm still thinking about those breasts!
Capo_imp said:
I prefer the curvaceous four header pipes , reminiscent of the CB400f, weaving their way into one silencer. The Deluxe is beautiful, too, but I've not for one moment lusted after it. I also prefer the stacked exhaust of the Ducati Monster, and the early Triumph Thunderbird Sport, but I thinking has a lot to do with the twisting headers on multi- cylinder bikes.

I do like symmetrical breasts, however.
A young lady biker out west
Whose large asymmetrical breasts
Unbalanced her ride:
It leaned to one side
Bought a sidecar to carry her chest.

Enough already?
Yes.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that our membership is made up of men and women from around the globe. Try and do your best to remain respectful of others and keep the discussion focused around bikes.
 
One thing is for certain....
We all are passionate about what we like... and what we all
like 'alot' are motorcycles... and in particular, this motorcycle.
Be it the 2013, 2014, Standard, EX, Deluxe, Red, Black, White,
(Blue for the guy out west...), or any other color or variance offered
around the world. It's a beautiful machine indeed! :heart:
Guth_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
I'm with Ferret... compare the look of this...
49732bec4df12b2b76c505f6fe44723c.jpg


With this...
f642cd9d5fa8a35dd3b6c24e128e7774.jpg


Symmetry is important in design... Think Apple vs. HP. Or
Cadillac vs. Lincoln. Or a Nest thermostat vs. a Standard.
Is one inherently better than the other? Personal opinion....

But you can't deny how this bike looks....

b43dfd67ac0d317e7587a29ca50141ad.jpg

514cbc5a0027c69fd3a3d70ddf3a7f8e.jpg

d7b18f0685e1ae94b4d40d4cf43042db.jpg

dc71501e60549817a3bcaed52cbd7e2f.jpg

146bdac3a086a13784905bab3151aa5f.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Personal indeed.

While some folks like The ferret will be comforted by the symmetry and stronger nod to the past offered by the Deluxe version, and others like myself are more turned on by the contrast offered by the original design, I'm guessing that most here will agree that either option looks better than a bike covered almost entirely in plastic.
Personal indeed.

While some folks like The ferret will be comforted by the symmetry and stronger nod to the past offered by the Deluxe version, and others like myself are more turned on by the contrast offered by the original design, I'm guessing that most here will agree that either option looks better than a bike covered almost entirely in plastic.
Guth, now that's something we can all agree on...nothing covered in plastic. It's interesting though. Back in the day I replaced my 2 into 2 exhaust system on a KZ400 to a 2 into 1 unit and I don't remember being bothered by it. I'm also with Ferret thinking my H1's 2 pipes on one side and 1 pipe on the other was odd...but again, was never bothered by it. My Superglide has two pipes on one side and nothing on the other and I think it looks fine. My KLR only has the one pipe on the one side...and again, it's fine. Maybe it's the size of the one pipe, and the way it angles up that causes the problem. I don't like that look on some sport bikes too. Oh well...to each his own. Maybe that why they now offer TWO models to choose from??
 
Thread starter
gheil..where did you find those pics of the deluxe? The one from 3/4 rear down low looking up is unusual and stunning. Love it.
 
To me, the dual exhaust seems kind of fake: 4 into 1 into 2. If it isn't true dual exhaust, why have the extra mess and weight?
 
Back
Top