Symmetry

Sure, symmetry is prettier to our eyes, but a 4-into-1 is more efficient. Those higher-frequency exhaust pulses help pull each other out the muffler faster. You might not want the added smoothness & power, but that extra efficiency will also result in better mileage.
 
Thread starter
Its all relative Chris...who is going to get better performance and mileage..a guy 6'4 250 on a standard with a 4 into 1 .... or a guy 5'7" 170 on a Deluxe with a 4 into 2?

If I wanted fuel mileage I'd buy an NC 700, if I wanted performance I'd buy a Aprilia RSV4

Like Guth said a CB 1100 isn't about performance. ;)
 
I'm with the symmetry guys. The Deluxe is certainly a lovely creature to behold.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Its all relative Chris...who is going to get better performance and mileage..a guy 6'4 250 on a standard with a 4 into 1 .... or a guy 5'7" 170 on a Deluxe with a 4 into 2?

If I wanted fuel mileage I'd buy an NC 700, if I wanted performance I'd buy a Aprilia RSV4

Like Guth said a CB 1100 isn't about performance. ;)
FIFY. ;)

Haha--I kid because I love. (And sometimes I love a little too much.)
 
Thread starter
calamarichris_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Its all relative Chris...who is going to get better performance and mileage..a guy 6'4 250 on a standard with a 4 into 1 .... or a guy 5'7" 170 on a Deluxe with a 4 into 2?

If I wanted fuel mileage I'd buy an NC 700, if I wanted performance I'd buy a Aprilia RSV4

Like Guth said a CB 1100 isn't about performance. ;)
FIFY. ;)

Haha--I kid because I love. (And sometimes I love a little too much.)
FIFY. ;)

Haha--I kid because I love. (And sometimes I love a little too much.)

:rofl:
 
Guth_imp said:
That Hurricane was one eye-catching bike.

I think moving away from the 4 into 1 system for the CB1100 Deluxe was pretty much mandatory given the design objective. And while a 4 into 4 system might have looked a bit more "period correct", I honestly prefer the 4 into 2 exhaust over a 4 into 4 system which would have added more expense and weight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. 4 into 2 looks best. I always wondered why they didn't make it that way back in the day.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
That Hurricane was one eye-catching bike.

I think moving away from the 4 into 1 system for the CB1100 Deluxe was pretty much mandatory given the design objective. And while a 4 into 4 system might have looked a bit more "period correct", I honestly prefer the 4 into 2 exhaust over a 4 into 4 system which would have added more expense and weight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. 4 into 2 looks best. I always wondered why they didn't make it that way back in the day.

I agree. 4 into 2 looks best. I always wondered why they didn't make it that way back in the day.
Guess I'm the odd man here, I much prefer the 4 into 1 and the non-pleated seat.
 
The ferret_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.

Then there would be no place for the rear disc and caliper..which balances out the chain and sprocket on the left side.

Bikes look better with 2 rear view mirrors instead of just one on the left ( which is legal in the U.S.)

They look better with dual discs on the front instead of just on 1 side of the wheel.

They look better with either a single headlight in the center or two equal size headlights side by side, than with 2 different shaped / sized headlights side by side.

Symmetry... It calms me :D
Symmetry. It makes you wonder how many females the male lion would get if you shaved off one side of his mane! :D
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.

Then there would be no place for the rear disc and caliper..which balances out the chain and sprocket on the left side.

Bikes look better with 2 rear view mirrors instead of just one on the left ( which is legal in the U.S.)

They look better with dual discs on the front instead of just on 1 side of the wheel.

They look better with either a single headlight in the center or two equal size headlights side by side, than with 2 different shaped / sized headlights side by side.

Symmetry... It calms me :D
Symmetry. It makes you wonder how many females the male lion would get if you shaved off one side of his mane! :D
Symmetry. It makes you wonder how many females the male lion would get if you shaved off one side of his mane! :D
if symmetry was so essential you'd have to have a sidecar on both sides.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
That Hurricane was one eye-catching bike.

I think moving away from the 4 into 1 system for the CB1100 Deluxe was pretty much mandatory given the design objective. And while a 4 into 4 system might have looked a bit more "period correct", I honestly prefer the 4 into 2 exhaust over a 4 into 4 system which would have added more expense and weight.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. 4 into 2 looks best. I always wondered why they didn't make it that way back in the day.

Cause 4 into 4 was symmetrical and looked pretty good too. Particularly whey wanted to make the point that this bike had 4 cylinders.
 
I parted my hair down the middle for over 40 years, does that count? Just recently went to a shorter crewish style cut


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Ferret, as others have eluded too, maybe you can put a fake chain and sprocket on the right side also, will make it look even more even.

Then there would be no place for the rear disc and caliper..which balances out the chain and sprocket on the left side.

Bikes look better with 2 rear view mirrors instead of just one on the left ( which is legal in the U.S.)

They look better with dual discs on the front instead of just on 1 side of the wheel.

They look better with either a single headlight in the center or two equal size headlights side by side, than with 2 different shaped / sized headlights side by side.

Symmetry... It calms me :D
Symmetry. It makes you wonder how many females the male lion would get if you shaved off one side of his mane! :D
Symmetry. It makes you wonder how many females the male lion would get if you shaved off one side of his mane! :D
if symmetry was so essential you'd have to have a sidecar on both sides.
I've thought about that. It's quite weird and takes some getting used to! :s
 
Hmmm, two sidecars with a bike in the middle. Symmetrical maybe, but I think it would resemble giant training wheels. ;)
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Hmmm, two sidecars with a bike in the middle. Symmetrical maybe, but I think it would resemble giant training wheels. ;)
Well, considering that's one of the main reasons many old geezers have sidecars, maybe that's not such a bad idea! :celebrate:
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Hmmm, two sidecars with a bike in the middle. Symmetrical maybe, but I think it would resemble giant training wheels. ;)
It would still look less ridiculous than those Sahara Snowmobiles I'm seeing more of...



All of the disadvantages of a car, with none of a annoying performance, efficiency, or fun of a motorcycle.
 
calamarichris_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Hmmm, two sidecars with a bike in the middle. Symmetrical maybe, but I think it would resemble giant training wheels. ;)
It would still look less ridiculous than those Sahara Snowmobiles I'm seeing more of...



All of the disadvantages of a car, with none of a annoying performance, efficiency, or fun of a motorcycle.
It would still look less ridiculous than those Sahara Snowmobiles I'm seeing more of...



All of the disadvantages of a car, with none of a annoying performance, efficiency, or fun of a motorcycle.
I always said that three wheelers was one wheel short of a convertible...;)
 
Back
Top