Switching switches?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Over 1000 miles now on my 14. Lovin it! Well, love everything but that stupid left handlebar switch, which I just can't get used to. Switching between 3 bikes has all of them messed up. Someone started to pull out on me yesterday and I stabbed the turn signal cancel button instead of the horn. Really frustrating. Thinking of buying a left switch off a 2013 and installing it. Then the bike would be near perfection for me then.

For those possibly a bit more mechanical than myself, I'm thinking it would be a plug and play, don't you? Surely they wouldn't change the wiring harness on the bike for a switch change, or the color coding on the t/s wires, the horn wire, the hi/lo beam wire...But.. the order of the plugs into the snap connector might be different on the 13's?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?


BTW Gas mileage was up to 53 mpg on my fill up yesterday.
 
Ferret, ridem might consult his trusty manual and wiring diagram for you. :)
 
Yes I will check soon as I get my manual back. Hope by the weekend! I would think plug. & play but not sure! Ferret you had the 13 did it have the button for the headlight passing/flashing?
Ferret I just took a good look at partsfish and both the 13&14 wire connectors look the same in the pics. I will check the wiring diagram when I get manual back. But so far I think it will exchange. Both have 3 connectors and the 2 small wires for the clutch switch cost around $85 (new)
Michael
 
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
 
My last bike, a Guzzi 1100 Breva, had this switch arrangement and even after two years I would sometimes try to "cancel" with the horn button. Changing the '14 CB switch with an '13 type should be easy and a worthwhile mod.
 
My Griso had that switch set up and I felt like a circus clown tooting my horn at every turn. The NC700x I rented in LA last month had the new Honda set up and it was the same...really sucked. I can't fathom the ergonomic engineering that went into that.
 
Capo_imp said:
My Griso had that switch set up and I felt like a circus clown tooting my horn at every turn. The NC700x I rented in LA last month had the new Honda set up and it was the same...really sucked. I can't fathom the ergonomic engineering that went into that.
:rofl::rofl:
 
Ridem,

The '13 does have the passing switch. Its on the left side. A little lever type switch that you can flick on and off with your finger.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
Yea, if you own multiple bikes it really stinks.. Sunday I rode the ST, Monday I rode both the Majesty and the CB, Tuesday I rode the CB, Wednesday I rode the Majesty, today is Thursday I am riding the CB up to Jeffersonville to meet a buddy for lunch (only motorcyclists would think nothing of driving 100 miles each way for cheeseburger lol ). It's driving me nuts hitting horns when I want to change lanes or turn, hitting the cancel t/s button when I want to beep a warning. And now, because they are not the same, it's happening on all 3 bikes. Don't know whose brilliant idea this was but it wasn't so brilliant if you ask me.
 
I'm checking to see if its the same part ###

2013
SWITCH ASSY., TURN SIGNAL
35200-MGC-003 $91.13

Mickey,
Can't find a part listing for the 2014 yet, call your dealer for the part # for the 2014
 
Thread starter
CIP it wouldn't be.

VFRPaul sent me some excellent diagrams and a picture of his 13 connection. Problem for me is I can't read wiring schematics. Have to wait until Saturday when my brother comes over and show him to see if he can figure this out.
 
The ferret_imp said:
CIP it wouldn't be.

VFRPaul sent me some excellent diagrams and a picture of his 13 connection. Problem for me is I can't read wiring schematics. Have to wait until Saturday when my brother comes over and show him to see if he can figure this out.
Your right, different unit. If you can get one from a company that excepts returns without re-stocking fees, buy one and try it, you don't even have to mount it since there is no ground to the bars.
 
Ferret if my manual comes back Friday I will check it out and let you know I can trace it wire to wire switch to switch and let you know. I'm pretty sure it's going to work :)
 
Thread starter
$76.38. I just said $85 due to guessing on shipping cost
Opps the 2014 switch is $76.38. 2013 switch is $85
 
This was the first thing I noticed that bugged me too on the ride home from the dealer - tooting the horn like the proverbial circus clown - instead of turning the signals on :huh:
From riding my other honda for the last 12 years, and the Bonneville for the last 6 years too, my thumb movements are automatic and require no thinking. The switch gear is the same on both.
Until I get used to the change or develop automatic movements with the CB, I have to think ahead and often glance down to where my thumb should be. I don't like doing that so I'm being very careful in traffic - not that I'm not careful anyway - just moreso.
But the CB is such a joy to ride I can't complain too much.
I'll be interested in seeing how this mod may turn out.
 
I have this problem with the Griso and Honda; their horn and signal switches are reversed from each other. If you hear me beep just assume I'm turning. :)
 
Back
Top