Switching switches?

Thread starter
Well I rode 172 miles today with no beep or signal errors but like Rocky I had to keep looking down to see if my thumb was on the right button. Would be bad in a panic situation. If it looks like a simple switch change will alleviate this, I'm doing it. Will be the best farkle for the DLX besides the rlets
 
I really think it will be plug & play! I talked to Don the ECM guy and he said he might ship my ECM & manual back today if so will get it tomorrow if not will be sat
 
Give it some time, ferret. You'll get used to it. Things always seem a lot harder at first than after you've had a chance to adapt.

I'll bet you don't even think about it within a couple weeks if you ride regularly.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
Yea, if you own multiple bikes it really stinks.. Sunday I rode the ST, Monday I rode both the Majesty and the CB, Tuesday I rode the CB, Wednesday I rode the Majesty, today is Thursday I am riding the CB up to Jeffersonville to meet a buddy for lunch (only motorcyclists would think nothing of driving 100 miles each way for cheeseburger lol ). It's driving me nuts hitting horns when I want to change lanes or turn, hitting the cancel t/s button when I want to beep a warning. And now, because they are not the same, it's happening on all 3 bikes. Don't know whose brilliant idea this was but it wasn't so brilliant if you ask me.
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
Yea, if you own multiple bikes it really stinks.. Sunday I rode the ST, Monday I rode both the Majesty and the CB, Tuesday I rode the CB, Wednesday I rode the Majesty, today is Thursday I am riding the CB up to Jeffersonville to meet a buddy for lunch (only motorcyclists would think nothing of driving 100 miles each way for cheeseburger lol ). It's driving me nuts hitting horns when I want to change lanes or turn, hitting the cancel t/s button when I want to beep a warning. And now, because they are not the same, it's happening on all 3 bikes. Don't know whose brilliant idea this was but it wasn't so brilliant if you ask me.
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
:rofl:
 
Just honk the horn every time you turn the bike on or off so that in an emergency you will remember where it is. If its good enough for the emergency kill switch, it should be good enough for the horn.
 
Thread starter
Trouble is Spaceman and Deanohh..I own and ride multiple bikes ..sometimes 2 in a day some times all 3 in 2 days. Only this one has this particular switch layout. The rest are typical Japanese layout of turn signal in the middle, horn at the bottom.
Much of what we do on a motorcycle we have to do instinctually literally for our survival. They made all bikes shift on the left because it was confusing and dangerous for riders with some on the left and some on the right. I've had both at the same time and there's nothing like needing brakes, stomping on the pedal and finding out you just downshifted a gear.

No, I need them all alike so if it can be done, I will do it.

And I believe the emergency kill switch is always throttle side on top.

High beam always left side on top.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Over 1000 miles now on my 14. Lovin it! Well, love everything but that stupid left handlebar switch, which I just can't get used to. Switching between 3 bikes has all of them messed up. Someone started to pull out on me yesterday and I stabbed the turn signal cancel button instead of the horn. Really frustrating. Thinking of buying a left switch off a 2013 and installing it. Then the bike would be near perfection for me then.

For those possibly a bit more mechanical than myself, I'm thinking it would be a plug and play, don't you? Surely they wouldn't change the wiring harness on the bike for a switch change, or the color coding on the t/s wires, the horn wire, the hi/lo beam wire...But.. the order of the plugs into the snap connector might be different on the 13's?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?


BTW Gas mileage was up to 53 mpg on my fill up yesterday.
Hi Mr Ferret - I agree with you 100%! I am so glad you brought this up because I was thinking that I was the only one who would care about this. I switch rides between my 1998 VFR800 and CB1100, and I just can't get the hang of the CB1100 LH switch. If the switches between the 2013 and 2014 CB1100 are interchangeable then I will probably change mine too. Not to change the subject, but does the "N" (for neutral) light on the 2013 model appear on the LH meter while the gear shift indicator for every other gear is in the middle? I find this very annoying that every single gear position is in one location, except for neutral.
 
Thread starter
Dave the 13s didn't have a gear position indicator, that's new for 2014.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Trouble is Spaceman and Deanohh..I own and ride multiple bikes ..sometimes 2 in a day some times all 3 in 2 days. Only this one has this particular switch layout. The rest are typical Japanese layout of turn signal in the middle, horn at the bottom.
Much of what we do on a motorcycle we have to do instinctually literally for our survival. They made all bikes shift on the left because it was confusing and dangerous for riders with some on the left and some on the right. I've had both at the same time and there's nothing like needing brakes, stomping on the pedal and finding out you just downshifted a gear.

No, I need them all alike so if it can be done, I will do it.

And I believe the emergency kill switch is always throttle side on top.

High beam always left side on top.
Sounds like you thought I was serious. And now a complaint about the n light in an inconvenient place. Some guys would complain about getting hanged with a golden rope. Your lucky your other bikes dont have the brake left and shifter right.
 
Thread starter
Oh you weren't serious? Nuts, sometimes I'm so bad at this. 8 for 24 this month. Lol
 
To top all this off, I have two British vintage bikes that I ride a lot and they have the shifter on the right side. More than once I've stomped the shifter for the brake :D
But it doesn't take too long before my mind switches over and I don't have any problem. I expect that in time that may be the case with the CB.
 
Rocky_imp said:
To top all this off, I have two British vintage bikes that I ride a lot and they have the shifter on the right side. More than once I've stomped the shifter for the brake :D
But it doesn't take too long before my mind switches over and I don't have any problem. I expect that in time that may be the case with the CB.
I share this challenge, and it becomes especially troubling when I ride a left and a right shift bike on the same day. My Moto Morini 175 has experienced some pain due to this.

But the point that Ferret makes about looking down at the switch and taking your eyes off the road is very real. It's a reflexive thing and I think Honda has really gotten it wrong with the new switch, which seems to be spreading across their model line.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
Yea, if you own multiple bikes it really stinks.. Sunday I rode the ST, Monday I rode both the Majesty and the CB, Tuesday I rode the CB, Wednesday I rode the Majesty, today is Thursday I am riding the CB up to Jeffersonville to meet a buddy for lunch (only motorcyclists would think nothing of driving 100 miles each way for cheeseburger lol ). It's driving me nuts hitting horns when I want to change lanes or turn, hitting the cancel t/s button when I want to beep a warning. And now, because they are not the same, it's happening on all 3 bikes. Don't know whose brilliant idea this was but it wasn't so brilliant if you ask me.
Fear not ferret for help is on it's way. I have deployed a rather large and empty van to your residence 'Chez Ferret' (which I found through your I.P address :D ).

I will relieve you of your surplus motorbikes and hey presto: no more confusing switchgear to worry about!

See, I'm all heart ;)
The ferret_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
I get your frustration, Ferret. One of the things that was a pleasant surprise about the CB1100 was that it had the same control pods as my 20 yr. old CB750. I switch back and forth between the two daily and don't even have to think about it. I think if I had a '14, I switch out those pods in a heartbeat.
Yea, if you own multiple bikes it really stinks.. Sunday I rode the ST, Monday I rode both the Majesty and the CB, Tuesday I rode the CB, Wednesday I rode the Majesty, today is Thursday I am riding the CB up to Jeffersonville to meet a buddy for lunch (only motorcyclists would think nothing of driving 100 miles each way for cheeseburger lol ). It's driving me nuts hitting horns when I want to change lanes or turn, hitting the cancel t/s button when I want to beep a warning. And now, because they are not the same, it's happening on all 3 bikes. Don't know whose brilliant idea this was but it wasn't so brilliant if you ask me.
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
:rofl:
Not just motorcyclists. We flyers have a ritual callled the Hundred Dollar Hamburger. Fly to a distant airport, have lunch, fly home. Although with fuel prices these days it's more like a $200 hamburger. :(
:rofl:

Go to some of the more touristy areas of London and you pay at least that, walking in off the street!

Same goes for concerts, trains, budget airlines, sporting events... Anywhere you don't have other choices.
 
I dont know but I dont think I would like the switches on the 14 either. I am such a creature of habit and hard to change. I am curious if the other new Hondas have this same setup or is it CB1100 specific? And who was the genius that decided to set the switches up this way and why????
 
Thread starter
when I looked around my local dealers the other day it seemed a lot of the new models favored this arrangement. someday...this will be the new norm apparently. at least with Hondas
 
The ferret_imp said:
when I looked around my local dealers the other day it seemed a lot of the new models favored this arrangement. someday...this will be the new norm apparently. at least with Hondas
If so we'll all get used to it after a while. My '73 BMW had IMO, the best switch layout ever designed for a bike, intuitive and natural layout that used but two push button-lever switches. All the magazine testers of the day hated it and soon after BMW yielded and changed to a more conventional design.
 
Does that Hundred Dollar cheeseburger come with the HD Logo on it? I hear all their parts and accessories are priced in increments of HD (hundred dollars)
 
dBuster_imp said:
Does that Hundred Dollar cheeseburger come with the HD Logo on it? I hear all their parts and accessories are priced in increments of HD (hundred dollars)
LOL

Get a B.O.A.T. break out another thousand :D
 
Back
Top