Switch the switches ..14 DLX

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
vfrpaul mentioned to me about the new switches for the CB Deluxe, so I had to take a closer look

Look closely..the most easily accessible switches, the big gray ones in the middle on each side are now the horn and emergency flashers.... Whereas the two most USED switches (at least in my experience) are the starter and the turn signals are hidden below those big gray buttons. Wouldn't it make sense to have the middle switches the turn signals and starter?

Oh and as someone mentioned, also visible is the 120 mph speedometer.



I wonder if the 14 std has the same switches?
 
Uh... Mickey, am I missing something or do you say that the horn switch is one of the big gray buttons, and then further say that the horn button is hidden under one of those big gray buttons? :huh:


EDIT: Never mind, it's me. I see what you're saying now....(I think)
 
Thread starter
good catch..and corrected... thanks

The starter and turn signal switch's are hidden

what's really bad is my other bikes all have the turn signals in the middle, so now when I go to signal a turn I might actually end up blowing the horn
 
Well you know in THIS day and age the emergency type switches
(horn /emergency flashers) have to be the BIG ones and most easily accessible otherwise you'd never find them;)
 
The ferret_imp said:
good catch..and corrected... thanks

The starter and turn signal switch's are hidden

what's really bad is my other bikes all have the turn signals in the middle, so now when I go to signal a turn I might actually end up blowing the horn
Just don't blow your mind. Seriously, you are gonna love this bike.
 
I like the dash redesign. The display bike in Daytona was on the sun and powered down, so that nifty blue display wasn't visible.

I couldn't live with a 120 mph Speedo though. Thank God I got a 13 while I still could.
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I like the dash redesign. The display bike in Daytona was on the sun and powered down, so that nifty blue display wasn't visible.

I couldn't live with a 120 mph Speedo though. Thank God I got a 13 while I still could.

Lol why? your bike wont go that fast :rolleyes: (although I think it should be allowed to)
 
TBH, on the '13, I find myself accidentally tapping the horn on occasion after using the turn signal switch. You can't just quickly wrap your thumb back down around the grip. You really need to lift it to clear the horn switch. I like the 2014 configuration better.

The hazard switch is in the middle on my '13 so that hasn't relocated, it's just bigger, and uglier.
 
Thread starter
Has anyone on a modern Japanese bike used the emergency flashers? I don't recall ever using one.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Has anyone on a modern Japanese bike used the emergency flashers? I don't recall ever using one.
Where I ride I come up on groups of road cyclists and I'll turn on the flashers until I get by them, to alert anyone behind me of the situation. Only if I can reach the switch easily. On the Honda it's a trick to turn them on and not be sloppy with the throttle.
 
You may find that when you sit on the bike with your hands on the grips, that the starter and turn signal switches are actually in the natural position for your thumbs to reach them. Then again, you may not.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
You may find that when you sit on the bike with your hands on the grips, that the starter and turn signal switches are actually in the natural position for your thumbs to reach them. Then again, you may not.

I hope
 
EmptySea_imp said:
You may find that when you sit on the bike with your hands on the grips, that the starter and turn signal switches are actually in the natural position for your thumbs to reach them. Then again, you may not.
I know the lower position would feel more natural for my hands. Right now, I really have to stretch my thumb to use the turn signal. It's easier to push the signal to turn on the right indicator, more difficult to pull it to enable the left indicator.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Has anyone on a modern Japanese bike used the emergency flashers? I don't recall ever using one.
I used mine on the very first day, pulled over under an underpass on the freeway in driving rain. Many times this past year when I had to stop and put on rain gear or pulled off to the side for one reason or another. This is the first bike I have owned with them and appreciate them.
 
I'm guessing that you'll get used to the new configuration in no time at all.

You're bigger issue might just be remembering to use the darn things when you're still in that "floating on a cloud" state after the DLX has arrived.
 
Thread starter
Honda first used that left pod switchgear orientation on the 2010 VFR1200F. For the DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission) model, the "down" shift paddle is the very bottom, and rumor has it that early tests had people accidentally hitting the horn button instead of the shift button, and vice versa.
 
Thread starter
Thumper since you have or had a VFR 1200 and a ST and a CB..was it an issue for you?
 
Back
Top