Swiss Army Jacket

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just sold two mesh jackets that were sized for a heroic weight loss that didn’t last long after some friends said I went too far with it. That left me with one large hi-viz Olympia for commuting but no hot weather “walking into a restaurant” option for meet ups with my wife or mates.

Just got this Olympia Mesh Tech:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stre...e/jackets/olympia/alpha_mesh_tech_jacket.html

$150 is half of what it’s going for on most sites. Unboxed it today and it has two full liners. Stripped it down for summer riding, but with everything in place I can see this being good for cold weather as well. Plus it’s got more pockets than I have stuff to put in them.

The “Loden” color doesn’t photograph well. Looks like a chocolate brown on the actual photos on this sale site but my wife called the color “Grolive” - not quite grey. but not like olive. Very neutral.

Me thinks it’s a keeper!
 
I love that website. They have tons of stuff on clearance all the time. I've been able to find some good deals there through the years.
 
Thread starter
Nice return policy as well. They offer an $8.99 return UPS label. I'm changing sizes on mine, and even with my company's shipping deals, that's less than what I can ship a heavy jacket back to them for.

With all of the liners in, an XL felt a bit tight out of the box. I figured that was ok, even if it felt baggy with the liners removed. It's a bit too baggy after a few rides, so changing it for a large. The rain liner can be worn outside the jacket anyway, so I won't be wearing that part inside to bulk it up. It's replacing an old size medium Tourmaster, which now makes me feel like a packed sausage about to pop with liner installed.
 
I found a Honda Racing mesh jacket in red, of course, at a local used gear emporium that is no longer in biz, but the jacket is very well made, with zippered vents, large main zipper, zippered pockets, and a removable liner. It fits me perfectly, and I only paid 40 bucks for it. It is my summer go-to.
 
Thread starter
Those used gear places are cool, but they never tend to stay around very long. If you're talking about Yellow Devil in Long Beach, you may have bought one of my old jackets (LOL). Before I put my two recent jackets on the for-sale section here, I took them to a used gear guy in Corona I knew, but found his place vacant when I got there.
 
Thread starter
Ha! Had that one when I owned a red VTX. Traded that for a BMW, so I figured a Honda jacket would be bad form, and I wouldn't get the BMW salute I now deserved. However, other than a t-shirt from the dealer, I never wore a stitch of BMW branded gear, so I was deemed as "unclean."
 
Thread starter
It's the logo for Jim Goose, the motorcycle cop who gets fried in Mad Max. Not sure if the logo was actually used in the movie, however. One day, I'd like to build something that resembles his bike, or at least something in that style. The fairings as used in the movie on his bike and the bad guy bike are available. Always been a movie car and motorcycle nut.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
It's the logo for Jim Goose, the motorcycle cop who gets fried in Mad Max. Not sure if the logo was actually used in the movie, however. One day, I'd like to build something that resembles his bike, or at least something in that style. The fairings as used in the movie on his bike and the bad guy bike are available. Always been a movie car and motorcycle nut.
KITT from Knight Rider must have been a favourite? :)
 
Thread starter
Indeed, Gold. In fact, we have a KITT at the Petersen. We've always got a neat assortment of movie cars, but we have a dedicated movie car exhibit right now. One of them is the actual Luke Skywalker Land Speeder from Star Wars. That is one of the cultural icons of the 1970s, and I'm amazed that most people pass it by with a quick glance. We've also got some goofy ones, like the 6000SUX (look that one up) from Robocop. To this day, I think the most beautiful car in the world is the Toyota 2000GT that was modified into a roadster for You Only Live Twice.

I love working in a building full of movie car history. One of the biggest guilty pleasures of my life was playing the Jake character from Blues Brothers in a Blues Mobile in the Hollywood Christmas Parade. True to character, the car broke down in front of the crowd and belched oil and antifreeze on the red carpet.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Those used gear places are cool, but they never tend to stay around very long. If you're talking about Yellow Devil in Long Beach, you may have bought one of my old jackets (LOL). Before I put my two recent jackets on the for-sale section here, I took them to a used gear guy in Corona I knew, but found his place vacant when I got there.
It was Yellow Devil! What a coinky-dink.
 
Thread starter
No way! Wear it in good health, sir.

I sorta miss the girl who ran that shop...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
No way! Wear it in good health, sir.

I sorta miss the girl who ran that shop...
That babe was a sweetie! I live near there and would stop in every so often just to look around. I've chatted with her many times and was really bummed when she moved and closed the shop. I bought a black vest, some gloves, and some trinkets there, and sold some other items there, too.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Just sold two mesh jackets that were sized for a heroic weight loss that didn’t last long after some friends said I went too far with it. That left me with one large hi-viz Olympia for commuting but no hot weather “walking into a restaurant” option for meet ups with my wife or mates.

Just got this Olympia Mesh Tech:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/stre...e/jackets/olympia/alpha_mesh_tech_jacket.html

$150 is half of what it’s going for on most sites. Unboxed it today and it has two full liners. Stripped it down for summer riding, but with everything in place I can see this being good for cold weather as well. Plus it’s got more pockets than I have stuff to put in them.

The “Loden” color doesn’t photograph well. Looks like a chocolate brown on the actual photos on this sale site but my wife called the color “Grolive” - not quite grey. but not like olive. Very neutral.

Me thinks it’s a keeper!
Gone in 60

Can't thank you enough for the review/heads up! I ordered one as well and it was just delivered. VERY impressed with the features and quality out of the box. I have been looking for a leather jacket for a long time and wasn't willing to pay full price, this one was a perfect alternative!

I like the versatility of the 3 layers!
 
Back
Top