SW-Motech Legend Gear

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've been waiting for the right saddle bag to come along that suits both my desire for practicality and aesthetics. I think I found both in the SW-Motech Legend Series saddle bag(s). I ordered the 13.5L bag (just one for now) with the required harness that wraps around the seat. I plan to mount it on the left side and run a single bag. If and when I plan to make longer trips, I'll look into ordering one for the right side and maybe even a tail bag.

I received the bag and harness last night and mounted them yet. I took a few photos and read through the instructions. It seems easy enough. I'll report back after I've had a chance to ride with it and I'll include photos of the bag mounted to the CB. For now, here's what I received:


Both the saddle bag and harness came in canvas, drawstring bags. Nice touch. I'll try to find another use for the canvas bags as I imagine once the saddlebag is mounted, I won't have much use for them.

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9A97D21B-489A-49E7-9C54-8D0528B280B9.jpg.html]
Here are the bag and harness. Both seem to be high quality pieces.

Here are a few more shots of the saddlebag:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/429409F2-86C7-4497-A14B-702779AD144E.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/c00a22d8-633b-48c7-abd1-4b9bbdf46bbb.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/50D73A43-41CA-4512-BD0D-2C69ECE9A2C9.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/F2546FF6-2655-4887-8F27-289E810CAAF2.jpg.html]

Not pictured are additional straps used to secure the sides of the bag to the bike as well as a waterproof bag that can be used inside of the saddlebag. They also included a large, clear adhesive film that can be cut and used to protect the bike's paint in any areas where the straps or bag may rub. Well thought out addition.

I'm excited to try the bag out and hope it works as well as it looks!
 
I have an older set of these that I use on the Griso. Dry. Dry. Dry. :D

I used KlickFit (sp?) adaptors so they clip on the stock griso racks. I'm a bit fan of dry bags now - no matter the brand as all seem to be very good.
 
Thread starter
ingobohn_imp said:
:thumbsup:

Do you have any pics with the saddle bag mounted at your bike? :banana:
The good news is that I got the bag on the bike. The bad news is that I don't have pics yet!

Getting the harness onto the seat proved much harder than anticipated. The directions are easy enough: Take the seat off, wrap the straps under the seat and affix the buckles. Be sure not to hinder the latching mechanism. It was that last direction that gave me all the trouble.

Turns out I couldn't figure out a way to get the seat to securely connect with the buckles inside/under the seat. It didn't matter where I moved the buckles (center, left or right), it prevented the seat from latching closed. Fortunately, the straps are long enough that I was able to run just one strap under the seat and out the other side and connect the buckles on the outside of the seat. Now, it has no effect on my ability to remove and replace the seat. All is right in the world.

Pictures to follow!
 
Thread starter
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.
 
ouch! those mountain bikes don't have brakes? lol

Hey the bag kinda balances out not having a pipe on that side. Hang on symmetry.
 
@ metallyguitarded: thx
Doe the bag sit tightly just with the straps to the foot pegs and with the "adapter plate" on the rear saddle?
 
MG, you be careful, OK? That looks like it hurt more than a little. Hope it passes quickly.

Bag looks good.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
ouch! those mountain bikes don't have brakes? lol

Hey the bag kinda balances out not having a pipe on that side. Hang on symmetry.
The (not so) funny thing is, I wasn't even going that fast. I was going over a narrow, wooden-slat bridge that ran over some gross swampy water and my front tire went over the side. I remember the sensation of the front tire falling for just a split second. I hit the ground/bridge so fast, I had absolutely no time to put my hands out, cover up, anything. I have a large abrasion covering the top of my left shoulder that I have absolutely no idea how it occurred. Interestingly, that shoulder feels fine. My other shoulder that from outward appearances looks fine, is hurt pretty bad. Of course, it's the same shoulder I hurt in my college days. I'm confident it will heal but admit the continuing numbness in my thumb has me a bit worried.

I suspected you might appreciate my effort at adding visual balance to the bike! Haha. I think I just need to drop the height of the bag just a bit. Get this, SW-Motech offers a 9.5 liter bag that they show as an option to run on the side with the pipe. I can totally imagine your head exploding from the sight of all that dissymmetry going on!
EmptySea_imp said:
Those mountain bikes are dangerous.

Heal up and find a safer hobby; like motorcycling. :)
Thank you MTC! Funny, yesterday when I took the CB out, I told my wife practically the same thing.
ingobohn_imp said:
@ metallyguitarded: thx
Doe the bag sit tightly just with the straps to the foot pegs and with the "adapter plate" on the rear saddle?
The bag remained very secure with just the straps and what SW-Motech calls the "saddle strap." The saddle strap is what lies over the seat and fastens with straps that run under the seat with buckles to affix them. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to when you write "adapter plate." I know they have some systems that you snap the bag into but this is not one of them. The bag simply rests against the rear shock. The back side of the bag is stiff with some sort of permanent insert so there doesn't appear to be any risk of material gathering between the springs. I hope that helps.
Cormanus_imp said:
MG, you be careful, OK? That looks like it hurt more than a little. Hope it passes quickly.

Bag looks good.
Thank you Cormanus! Ironically, the parts that look the worst actually bother me the least. I appreciate the kind words.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.
 
Thread starter
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.
That tie down was accomplished by the use of these two pieces that came with the bag:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBF75CC5-17CF-407A-B77F-CE44892873B5.jpg.html]

The shorter one with the hole in the nylon is what is affixed between the back of the license plate and the license plate nut/cap. I then ran the longer one with the built in loop through the D-ring. The aluminum fastener slides into a loop already attached to the bag.

I may eventually get the hard bags/panniers but this will do until then. Those hard bags are quite expensive.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.
That tie down was accomplished by the use of these two pieces that came with the bag:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBF75CC5-17CF-407A-B77F-CE44892873B5.jpg.html]

The shorter one with the hole in the nylon is what is affixed between the back of the license plate and the license plate nut/cap. I then ran the longer one with the built in loop through the D-ring. The aluminum fastener slides into a loop already attached to the bag.

I may eventually get the hard bags/panniers but this will do until then. Those hard bags are quite expensive.

since i don't have that i went home last night and just looped my saddlebag ties around the plate.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084543_zpsdl7qa1s2.jpg.html]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084557_zpsonrw4l11.jpg.html]

might have to look into something similar to yours for my tailpack.
it used to attach to the plate bracket side reflector thing, but i removed that.
 
Thread starter
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.
That tie down was accomplished by the use of these two pieces that came with the bag:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBF75CC5-17CF-407A-B77F-CE44892873B5.jpg.html]

The shorter one with the hole in the nylon is what is affixed between the back of the license plate and the license plate nut/cap. I then ran the longer one with the built in loop through the D-ring. The aluminum fastener slides into a loop already attached to the bag.

I may eventually get the hard bags/panniers but this will do until then. Those hard bags are quite expensive.

since i don't have that i went home last night and just looped my saddlebag ties around the plate.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084543_zpsdl7qa1s2.jpg.html]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084557_zpsonrw4l11.jpg.html]

might have to look into something similar to yours for my tailpack.
it used to attach to the plate bracket side reflector thing, but i removed that.

Seems that you're setup will work just fine. I suppose if you wanted to affix the straps to the license plate bolts, you could punch holes in the nylon and burn the edges of the holes to prevent it from unraveling. Having it connected this way does keep the strap off of the chrome fender. I don't know how much, if any, damage would come from the strap rubbing against the chrome but as I have it now, there's no contact.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I finally had an opportunity to take a few shots of the bag on the bike. Here they are!


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/360B6B73-30A2-4054-B52F-7C6621306C9D.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/84D18B5E-502D-4964-B79F-64808ED252A8.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/841CB58D-4108-4907-AF1A-D6AA63B8B544.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9226B807-5CA4-4550-B468-642D2A1762FC.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/C658C414-1C01-43F9-A5FB-61E103970D27.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1541B867-5DD5-46BC-AF35-20A900187FC2.jpg.html]

I went for a short ride of about 30 miles just to take advantage of the nice weather. The bag stayed put nicely. The helmet in the last shot is the newest addition to my helmet collection - a Biltwell Gringo with what they call their blast shield. I took advantage of the full coverage to hide this:

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CE724970-23AA-4467-9E6D-19906CA6748D.jpg.html]

Mountain biking! Wouldn't you know it? I guess the trick is to avoid breaking your fall with your face. A skill I'm working on. Luckily, I only hurt my face, my nose, my eye, my neck, my knee and both shoulders. Oh, and my right thumb has been numb for the past three days.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.

ingobohn_imp said:
i am interested in this particular tie down.
not sure if that is what ingobohn is also referring to.
That tie down was accomplished by the use of these two pieces that came with the bag:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/CBF75CC5-17CF-407A-B77F-CE44892873B5.jpg.html]

The shorter one with the hole in the nylon is what is affixed between the back of the license plate and the license plate nut/cap. I then ran the longer one with the built in loop through the D-ring. The aluminum fastener slides into a loop already attached to the bag.

I may eventually get the hard bags/panniers but this will do until then. Those hard bags are quite expensive.

since i don't have that i went home last night and just looped my saddlebag ties around the plate.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084543_zpsdl7qa1s2.jpg.html]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/djs_151/media/cb1100/IMG_20160614_084557_zpsonrw4l11.jpg.html]

might have to look into something similar to yours for my tailpack.
it used to attach to the plate bracket side reflector thing, but i removed that.

Seems that you're setup will work just fine. I suppose if you wanted to affix the straps to the license plate bolts, you could punch holes in the nylon and burn the edges of the holes to prevent it from unraveling. Having it connected this way does keep the strap off of the chrome fender. I don't know how much, if any, damage would come from the strap rubbing against the chrome but as I have it now, there's no contact.

chrome rub was the issue that worried me. right now it is close but there doesn't seem to be any contact.
 
Back
Top