SW MOTECH crash bars & hwy pegs

jedd_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I'm thinking of buying SWM crash bars for my DLX, mainly to mount some hwy pegs.

However, I'm thinking that, in order to reach the pegs,
(a) the pegs need to protrude outboard on each side by quite a lot, especially on the left just to clear the massive engine casing.

(b) the pegs may be way too far forward for me to reach w/ short 29" inseam legs legs.


Anyone using hwy pegs on SWM crash bars?
what's your thoughts on this?
THX.
 
I have the Motech engine guard bars and Kury footpegs attached to offset arms, which can be rotated 360° offering unlimited peg positions. I had to shim the 1 1/8" Kury clamps to fit the 1 1/32" Motech bars. The Motech highway pegs which are a straight bolt-on are high dollar but they come in black to match the bars.
There are Chinese knock offs for sale on eBay, black or chrome. I believe the price is much less than Motechs but ...
 
To help answer your question on reach, I can tell you that the SWM bars end up being just slightly inward of the downtubes on the frame; maybe an inch back from parallel.

If you haven't already seen these mounts, they'll give you even more flexibility towards getting a comfortable distance (going in front of, in line with, or behind the tubes).
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/foot...h-0-85-21mm-to-1-125-28mm-diameter-pair-black

With a 29" inseam, I'm thinking it should work out. I'm a 32" and would have more than enough leg length if I were to set this up.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone for all the info provided. I'm going to buy the SWM engine guards for now. Once I mount the guards, I'll know for sure whether hwy pegs will work (or not) for me.
 
Thread starter
Follow up...I recently installed the SWM engine guards. What a beautiful design, especially how it's using all 3 available frame bolts to secure. That sucker's on there!



I've decided to not go through w/ the hwy pegs, since I'm dedicating this bike for bar-hopping, local venues, day trips. :excited:

But, now w/ the frame guards bolted to the bike, there's no question in my mind that the position/location of hwy pegs fitted to the SWM engine guards will definitely work just fine and is close enough for my short legs to rest on them.
 
Thread starter
THX For posting that pic, Rocky.... mainly b/c the fenda extenda got my attention. So I just bought one.
 
jedd_imp said:
THX For posting that pic, Rocky.... mainly b/c the fenda extenda got my attention. So I just bought one.
I think the fenda extenda is a great mod. It keeps so much crud off the engine compared to the factory fender alone.
I have one on my CB900F Honda too.
I attached them with marine grade JB weld, let them cure overnight, and they will never come off.
 
Rocky_imp said:
jedd_imp said:
THX For posting that pic, Rocky.... mainly b/c the fenda extenda got my attention. So I just bought one.
I think the fenda extenda is a great mod. It keeps so much crud off the engine compared to the factory fender alone.
I have one on my CB900F Honda too.
I attached them with marine grade JB weld, let them cure overnight, and they will never come off.
+1 :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the JB weld tip. I'll do just that.

Did you remove the front fender to apply the glue and clamp?
If so, was the fender easy to take out and put back on w/out removing the wheel, I hope?
 
jedd_imp said:
Thanks for the JB weld tip. I'll do just that.

Did you remove the front fender to apply the glue and clamp?
If so, was the fender easy to take out and put back on w/out removing the wheel, I hope?
Yes. It is very easy to dismount, basically 4 screws.
 
Jedd, it was a joke!

I have the Fenda Extenda too. I did remove the fender for Fenda installation (see what I did there? :) )

It is easy to remove and reinstall. By removing it, you will be able to properly clean the inside surface so whatever adhesive you use will bond properly. Personally, I cleaned mine and then wiped it with acetone to remove any grease. I may have roughed up the inner surface some too. I did wipe the Extenda surface with acetone to deglaze it, and then scored it some to aid in adhesion. But, I tend to be a little anal sometimes. OTOH, it's been on there 3 years and is fine.

A number of us have used different stuff, like the JB above, some epoxy,etc. I used marine 3M4200 or 5200 (can't remember) and clamped it until set. Comes in black or white. I would advise against using silicone.

Done nicely, it will look just like the above pic and will last forever.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Jedd, it was a joke!

I have the Fenda Extenda too. I did remove the fender for Fenda installation (see what I did there? :) )

It is easy to remove and reinstall. By removing it, you will be able to properly clean the inside surface so whatever adhesive you use will bond properly. Personally, I cleaned mine and then wiped it with acetone to remove any grease. I may have roughed up the inner surface some too. I did wipe the Extenda surface with acetone to deglaze it, and then scored it some to aid in adhesion. But, I tend to be a little anal sometimes. OTOH, it's been on there 3 years and is fine.

A number of us have used different stuff, like the JB above, some epoxy,etc. I used marine 3M4200 or 5200 (can't remember) and clamped it until set. Comes in black or white. I would advise against using silicone.

Done nicely, it will look just like the above pic and will last forever.
Not anal in the least. That's exactly how I did it too and used clamps while it cured overnight :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The extenda on my other Honda has been on there for 12 years and hasn't moved. As stated above, preparation of both surfaces is the key.
 
In my above post to Jedd, the joke thing was supposed to be in about using JB on an KN oil filter nut. I must have gotten confused about what thread I was in :blush:

Sorry about that. :-/
 
Ltrypsin,

I never saw that before. Good to know!

Do NOT use 5200 to mount outboards. If you do, you might have a problem dismounting them... Been there done that at my friends shop. Don't use silicone either, won't hold a bond on fiberglass for long.

I used it on the Extenda as it is a marine product and it does get wet under the fender at times :)

I also made sure to seal around the inside surface nicely so that no water could get between the Extenda and the metal to prevent corrosion.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ltrypsin,

I never saw that before. Good to know!

Do NOT use 5200 to mount outboards. If you do, you might have a problem dismounting them... Been there done that at my friends shop. Don't use silicone either, won't hold a bond on fiberglass for long.

I used it on the Extenda as it is a marine product and it does get wet under the fender at times :)

I also made sure to seal around the inside surface nicely so that no water could get between the Extenda and the metal to prevent corrosion.
Good tip :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I did that too.
 
Back
Top