Suspension, have plan but input appreciated

Thread starter
Even if they say they are filled with oil, I'm still going to check to make sure. I don't have very good luck when it comes to stuff like this so you can bet that if I were to gamble and just trust that they were filled that I would get the set where the guy who was supposed to fill them forgot because he got scared by a bee.

I don't really feel like buying or installing the forks more than once.
 
Banned_imp said:
Even if they say they are filled with oil, I'm still going to check to make sure. I don't have very good luck when it comes to stuff like this so you can bet that if I were to gamble and just trust that they were filled that I would get the set where the guy who was supposed to fill them forgot because he got scared by a bee.

I don't really feel like buying or installing the forks more than once.
:rofl:
 
If your bike was black like mine - the gold forks from the '17 might have looked pretty cool. If they would fit. Anybody know? I'm considering suspension upgrades instead of buying a third bike...
 
Thread starter
Nightengale_imp said:
If your bike was black like mine - the gold forks from the '17 might have looked pretty cool. If they would fit. Anybody know? I'm considering suspension upgrades instead of buying a third bike...
The gold forks from the RS will fit but you would have to buy new rotors, callipers and maybe wheels (the experts here will have to confirm that).
 
Ok: I'm going to ask the dumb question after reading a good portion of this thread: What's so important about suspension?

I've owned/ridden many different kinds of bikes, from cruisers to sport bikes to antiques, in a few different environments (not off-road), and i don't think i've ever noticed or thought anything good or bad about the suspension. If, hypothetically, I were to improve the suspension on my CB, what difference would I notice? I'm about the same weight as W/R, for instance, who complains of the suspension being "overwhelmed." I've never noticed anything that I would call a problem. What am I missing?
 
Improving suspension is important to me because of :

Comfort /ride quality
Confidence /road holding
Quality of shocks /how long do they last
Weight rider and luggage

There are probably other reasons people up grade : looks !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Improving suspension is important to me because of :

Comfort /ride quality
Confidence /road holding
Quality of shocks /how long do they last
Weight rider and luggage

There are probably other reasons people up grade : looks !
See, that's what i'm asking about. Either every bike i've ever ridden has bad suspension, or i'm completely numb and can't tell the difference. I'm wondering which one it is to see if there's any value at all in me improving my suspension. I guess it boils down to "are you comfortable on your bike right now?" The answer, so far as I can tell, is Yes, But i'm still paranoid that i'm missing out on something i can't fathom.
 
Thread starter
Well for me the main reason I'm upgrading is because of my back injury, quite simply without better suspension I would most likely have to sell my CB.

I probably wouldn't have realized that a better suspension would help me if I hadn't of purchased my Buell Ulysses which has a much better suspension. I have never owned a bike with performance suspension components like the Ulysses, like you I just accepted my bikes for what they were and rode on. I can't do that anymore.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
That's what I was looking for. So, I'll conclude that an improved suspension won't do jackall for me at this time. gonna have to get a few decades older.
Like you, MrP, I've arrived at the same conclusion by weighting the economic criteria very heavily in defiance of the likely facts. I had to put new shockers on a bike I once owned. The mechanic told me I wouldn't know myself. I couldn't tell the difference; but then I didn't ride it for much longer. My reasoning is that, if I don't try upgraded suspension I won't know what I'm missing and continue to be perfectly happy with what I have for the sort of riding I do.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Ok: I'm going to ask the dumb question after reading a good portion of this thread: What's so important about suspension?

I've owned/ridden many different kinds of bikes, from cruisers to sport bikes to antiques, in a few different environments (not off-road), and i don't think i've ever noticed or thought anything good or bad about the suspension. If, hypothetically, I were to improve the suspension on my CB, what difference would I notice? I'm about the same weight as W/R, for instance, who complains of the suspension being "overwhelmed." I've never noticed anything that I would call a problem. What am I missing?

Awareness on quality is double sided- you learn nuance and appreciate the difference- but you also notice when other stuff is subpar and that bar is now higher.

This is true for cars, bikes, food, tv's, stereos...

To an extent ignorance is bliss. I drive by McD's all the time and there is a full parking lot and long line at the drive through. There is a reason people still buy American cars as well.

If you don't notice yet- stop reading these type of threads and stay happy. It's cheaper and less frustrating that way. :)
 
I was happy with factory suspension/tires until I rode a bike that was absolutely horrible. When I bought my ST1100 I was afraid of the thing until I found a tire/suspension combination that worked. The most improvement was replacement of the OEM tires with wider, lower profile, better quality units. (Michelin Pilot Road 3's). Then the stock suspension began to fail so I replaced it with a substantial upgrade. (Traxxion Dynamics Cartridges and Penske rear shock).

Where do I feel the difference? Near the edge of performance.The vast majority of riding time the added expense makes little difference. It is when I want to take the ride to the edge of the performance envelope. The upgrades make the edges wider, but at the same time give less warning of approaching disaster. Which is why manufactures design the bikes the way they do; For as much safety as is possible with a motorcycle.

Ride Safe
Jim
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Biggest improvement for me- on both the front forks and rear shocks was lessening the blow felt on jarring bumps.
That's all I'm looking for, there are a lot of jarring bumps here.

A couple of years ago I was cruising one of my favorite short rides on a coastal rode and hit a huge frost heave. As is the case with frost heaves it hadn't been there before the winter and there was no warning sign out yet. I hit it doing about 80kph and launched my Night Train into the air both wheels off the ground, the landing really hurt.

That's an extreme case but if want hear about the roads here, read what Bama Rider has to say about them:

CDN02.7
 
Back
Top