Superbrace

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
This morning I ordered the Superbrace plus fork guards in anodized black. I sent an email to the company, mentioned the forum and how they had previously offered a discount and asked if one was still available. I received a quick reply with a discount code giving me 10% off which I very much appreciate. I just received another email confirming that the item shipped today. Gotta love good customer service and fast shipping!

I'll post photos once I receive and install it.
 
Nice. Would you post a picture of what it looks like with the guards? I'm contemplating going that route too.
 
Thread starter
AndyHe_imp said:
Nice. Would you post a picture of what it looks like with the guards? I'm contemplating going that route too.
I certainly will. The company is based out of Huntington Beach so I should receive the brace soon. I'll have it mounted by this weekend at the latest.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
AndyHe_imp said:
Nice. Would you post a picture of what it looks like with the guards? I'm contemplating going that route too.
I certainly will. The company is based out of Huntington Beach so I should receive the brace soon. I'll have it mounted by this weekend at the latest.
I certainly will. The company is based out of Huntington Beach so I should receive the brace soon. I'll have it mounted by this weekend at the latest.
Waiting with great anticipation at how it looks in black
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
AndyHe_imp said:
Nice. Would you post a picture of what it looks like with the guards? I'm contemplating going that route too.
I certainly will. The company is based out of Huntington Beach so I should receive the brace soon. I'll have it mounted by this weekend at the latest.
I certainly will. The company is based out of Huntington Beach so I should receive the brace soon. I'll have it mounted by this weekend at the latest.
Yep, same here, waiting for the results and pictures ... HB is just around the corner, where I live, so i could even pick it up !
 
Thread starter
I'm working from home today and who should show up at my door but the UPS man with a package all the way from Huntington Beach! Of course, I took a little break and got it installed! The instructions were simple enough and the install even easier:

1. Place motorcycle on center stand. (Already done)
2. Remove any existing fork bridge or brace. (Don't have any)
3. Remove any existing plastic fork guards. (Don't have any)
4. Disassemble SuperBrace. (5mm allen bolts x4, all of which were easy to remove)
5. Loosen axle pinch bolts (6mm allen bolts x4)
6. Assemble SuperBrace at the top of the fork sliders (Took this slow so as to not scratch my beautiful chrome fender)
7. Torque SuperBrace bolts to 10 ft. pounds (Easy with the right 5mm allen head socket and torque wrench)
8. Re-torque axle pinch bolts to factory specifications (Looked up ferret's "How-to" on installing gaiters and found the proper value - 19 ft. lbs.)

The instructions go on to state that it's important to bounce the front end before riding and cycle the suspension to insure the brake lines and horn do not contact the brace. It goes on to state that it may be necessary to move or purchase aftermarket brake lines and horn. On our CBs, the ONLY thing that could possibly get in the way are the brake lines. But they don't. The brace doesn't come close to interfering with the lines. Still, I bounced the front end a few times. All is good in the hood.

Total install time was maybe 20 minutes. I also put on the fork guards that simply screw into the top of the SuperBrace. The brace comes with bolts already in the holes for the guards and the guards, which are purchased separately, come with additional bolts. They are exactly the same. I used the ones that came with the brace. The bolts for the guards are Phillips head and you need a really small screwdriver. I used the screwdriver that came with my sunglasses repair kit. I just hand tightened the bolts and they feel secure enough. I'll check them periodically. At least I have four extra bolts if any of them should come loose and fall out.

I am very happy with how it looks! With the black lower fork legs, the black SuperBrace almost looks stock. I tried to take a decent photo but I did all this in my cramped garage. I'll take better photos after tomorrow when I'm expecting to get my engine guards back from the powder coater. For now, here's what I've got:

How the SuperBrace and Fork Guards were packaged:


Here they are removed from the packaging. You can see the bolts were the guards screw in on top of the brace. The 5mm bolts are at the rear of the brace (sorry for the blurry photo):
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1497.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1498.jpg.html]

Here it is with the guards mounted and the brace taken apart:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1499.jpg.html]

And, finally, with the brace on the bike:
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1502.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1501.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1500.jpg.html]

It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference, if any, I feel regarding front end wobble or cornering stability. Once I get the engine guards on, I'll post some more overall photos that show my latest additions - the guards, the SuperBrace and my chrome bar ends. With my wife talking about new furniture and the possibility of me selling the VFR, I better slow down on the modifications. A full Yoshi system and upgraded suspension will have to wait!
 
Nice work ! Thank you very much ! Now ! contact info ? Gotta seize the moment before my wife starts thinking about home improvements !
 
Thread starter
mjezek_imp said:
Nice work ! Thank you very much ! Now ! contact info ? Gotta seize the moment before my wife starts thinking about home improvements !
Ha! Wise man! Here's the website: SuperBrace The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

They also happen to be one of the forum sponsors. I had sent an email to SuperBrace asking a couple questions, primarily, whether they would offer me a discount like they had offered at one time to forum members. Although I was not given the 15% discount previously offered, I was given a coupon code for 10% off. I'm certain that if you email them, tell them you're also on the forum, learned what they had done for me and are also interested in buying a SuperBrace, the same will be done for you. I had used the contact fields on the website but Scott's email is scott@superbrace.com if you want to email him directly.

Now hurry!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
mjezek_imp said:
Nice work ! Thank you very much ! Now ! contact info ? Gotta seize the moment before my wife starts thinking about home improvements !
Ha! Wise man! Here's the website: SuperBrace The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

They also happen to be one of the forum sponsors. I had sent an email to SuperBrace asking a couple questions, primarily, whether they would offer me a discount like they had offered at one time to forum members. Although I was not given the 15% discount previously offered, I was given a coupon code for 10% off. I'm certain that if you email them, tell them you're also on the forum, learned what they had done for me and are also interested in buying a SuperBrace, the same will be done for you. I had used the contact fields on the website but Scott's email is scott@superbrace.com if you want to email him directly.

Now hurry!
Ha! Wise man! Here's the website: SuperBrace The Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

They also happen to be one of the forum sponsors. I had sent an email to SuperBrace asking a couple questions, primarily, whether they would offer me a discount like they had offered at one time to forum members. Although I was not given the 15% discount previously offered, I was given a coupon code for 10% off. I'm certain that if you email them, tell them you're also on the forum, learned what they had done for me and are also interested in buying a SuperBrace, the same will be done for you. I had used the contact fields on the website but Scott's email is scott@superbrace.com if you want to email him directly.

Now hurry!
Super thank you
 
Thread starter
Pauley_imp said:
I'm interested to find our your impressions on how the brace changes the bike's handling and feel.
I REALLY hope that I notice something dramatic. Heck, I'll settle for even subtle improvement. I've got a stretch of highway between the office and home where the grooves are horrendous and tend to grab my front tire and shake me around. That will be the first test. Then, I'll have to find some decent corners - most likely on one of my weekend rides in the mountains.

One thing I meant to mention - The SuperBrace comes with a white sticker underneath (just a standard product sticker). I put the brace on then noticed when up close, I could see the reflection of the sticker on the chrome bumper. It was just a sliver of the sticker that was visible in the reflection and hardly noticeable. But, once seen, I couldn't un-see it. I had to take the brace off, peel off the sticker, and reattach the brace. I say all that to suggest removing the sticker BEFORE attaching the brace!
 
Saw pics of that black motor and thought "I want that black motor!".

Then I realized I have one. :)
 
Thread starter
NightRider_imp said:
You know it's illegal to remove the sticker.
Silly me. I'm always writing half thoughts that are then easily misunderstood. What I meant to say, officer, was that I peeled off the sticker only to reapply it a fraction of an inch from its original location so that its reflection could not be seen. Sorry for the confusion.
Rboe_imp said:
Saw pics of that black motor and thought "I want that black motor!".

Then I realized I have one. :)
Ha! Now that's a good feeling.
 
Thread starter
I had a chance this weekend to ride with the SuperBrace installed. Nothing dramatic was noted in terms of improvements to handling and I suppose that's not surprising since I haven't experienced handling problems even before the brace. My ride was a relatively mellow one (as our most my rides on the CB) and maybe obvious improvements will only be felt at a more spirited pace and with more aggressive cornering. The front did feel more planted and stable in corners but I don't know if that's only in my head - the temptation to find improvement from a modification to justify an expense and affirm a decision. Time will tell with the SuperBrace. I have a favorite run along some local canyons with great turns that will, hopefully, tell me whether there are any real improvements.

Here are a few shots of the SuperBrace (posted in another thread of mine discussing the OEM engine guards):


[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMG_0361.jpg.html]
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMG_0364.jpg.html]
 
MG,

That was pretty much my experience when I added my fork brace (not a Superbrace though). We don't have any canyons here so can't report on that. OK, apparently we do have a canyon, but its under 600 feet of water I'm told. :P
 
It has to provide some rigidity to the front end, but the CB already has 4 points which tie the front tubes together..top tree, bottom tree, steel fender and front axle so I wouldn't expect a huge change in feeling. My 750 Nighthawk had a plastic front fender which added nothing to the rigidity of the front end so there was a long space between lower tree and front axle for the fork to twist. The Superbrace helped it a lot.
 
Back
Top