My 2017 Finally Arrived

Southernoregonduck_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
After a long and anxious wait, my 2017 CB1100ex finally arrived in Central Point, Oregon today. I had joined the forum in June of 2020, after viewing a 2013 CB1100 for sale in Grants Pass, Oregon. To purchase the 2013 I needed to sell a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09. By late July, the FJ was sold. After researching the Honda CB 1100 family and reading all the postings on the forum, I decided that the 2017 ex model was the bike for me. I spent most of August looking through Craig's List and Cycletrader . There were opportunities to pick up nice bikes in Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Utah. Unfortunately, a major forest fire erupted the Rogue Valley in early September. This event took my mind off of buying a bike for most of September and October. However, I continued to read the posts on this forum. Eventually my interest picked back up. In early November I found a 2017 with less than 700 miles being sold through Craig's List in Georgia. I was a little hesitant to purchase a bike 2,700 miles from home, but the seller was a nice, older gentleman who was selling due to health issues. After negotiating the price and working through a Shipping Company, I mailed the cashier's check and paid the Shipper. Then the waiting began. I used a shipping company named Haul Bikes. The price was very competitive, but the delivery date in the contract was missing. Their customer service representative had little information on a delivery date and the most of the updates were canned emails. The business website had only a 1-800 phone number and no direct headquarter contact information. The bike was picked up on time and shipping to a warehouse in Oklahoma. The bike sat in the warehouse for over a month. The bike was expected to be delivered by the middle of December. Why the delay? I never received an answer. Maybe Haul Bikes was overwhelmed with work. Whatever the reason for delay was, I finally received the bike today. Fortunately, the bike was delivered in excellent condition. I rode it briefly as it was a damp, cold day and I did not want to drop it on a wet corner. My first impressions were "Wow, what a bike!". Beautiful, easy to ride, nice sound - just a wonderful all around motorcycle. I feel very fortunate to have found such a rare and great bike. It definitely will be a keeper!
 
Congratulations on your nice find!

I bought a bike from a California dealership this past November and arranged for shipping by Haul Bikes, who I’ve used five times in the past and heartily recommend. This time, however, it took longer than expected to receive the bike — nearly five weeks. I know they had a Black Friday sales promotion and offered very low rates over Thanksgiving weekend, so I’m guessing they got slammed with more business than they could handle.
 
Glad you found a '17ex and that it finally arrived. Congratulations! I'm a bit north of you in the Gresham area. Was your area directly affected by any of the fires? We had the bad smoke for about a week, evac zones were about 15 miles away...so glad all that is over for awhile.
 
Congratulations on taking delivery, Southernoregonduck. You must be a very happy camper. I’d have thought that Coronavirus is playing havoc with everything in the USA. Even motorcycle deliveries. Look forward to a further report when you get to go for a substantial ride.
 
Southernoregonduck_imp said:
After a long and anxious wait, my 2017 CB1100ex finally arrived in Central Point, Oregon today. I had joined the forum in June of 2020, after viewing a 2013 CB1100 for sale in Grants Pass, Oregon. To purchase the 2013 I needed to sell a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09. By late July, the FJ was sold. After researching the Honda CB 1100 family and reading all the postings on the forum, I decided that the 2017 ex model was the bike for me. I spent most of August looking through Craig's List and Cycletrader . There were opportunities to pick up nice bikes in Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, and Utah. Unfortunately, a major forest fire erupted the Rogue Valley in early September. This event took my mind off of buying a bike for most of September and October. However, I continued to read the posts on this forum. Eventually my interest picked back up. In early November I found a 2017 with less than 700 miles being sold through Craig's List in Georgia. I was a little hesitant to purchase a bike 2,700 miles from home, but the seller was a nice, older gentleman who was selling due to health issues. After negotiating the price and working through a Shipping Company, I mailed the cashier's check and paid the Shipper. Then the waiting began. I used a shipping company named Haul Bikes. The price was very competitive, but the delivery date in the contract was missing. Their customer service representative had little information on a delivery date and the most of the updates were canned emails. The business website had only a 1-800 phone number and no direct headquarter contact information. The bike was picked up on time and shipping to a warehouse in Oklahoma. The bike sat in the warehouse for over a month. The bike was expected to be delivered by the middle of December. Why the delay? I never received an answer. Maybe Haul Bikes was overwhelmed with work. Whatever the reason for delay was, I finally received the bike today. Fortunately, the bike was delivered in excellent condition. I rode it briefly as it was a damp, cold day and I did not want to drop it on a wet corner. My first impressions were "Wow, what a bike!". Beautiful, easy to ride, nice sound - just a wonderful all around motorcycle. I feel very fortunate to have found such a rare and great bike. It definitely will be a keeper!
You're right. Like the bike your first impression will stay with you and will be deepend.
 
Congrats Duck!! I know you are going to love it!
 
Woooo - congratulations Southernoregonduck. Even after you are done riding motorcycles, this bike will resonate with you for many years to come.

Beautiful.
 
Very nice and it looks like you have an awesome stable of bikes there. One for touring, one for playing in the dirt and a beautiful red one for enjoying every sunny day.
 
Thread starter
Guys, thank you for the kind and encouraging words. I am looking forward to reporting many great rides. Pdedse - the Alemeda Fire started on the North 1-5 exit and roared north, destroying most of the towns of Talent and Phoenix. Over 2700 housing units were destroyed. Most of the homes burned were affordable housing, which was already in short supply. Though my home was not affected, I watched the smoke and fire traveling up the Rogue Valley. At the time of the fire, we did not know how far the fire was from our home. Very unsettling. The fire was finally contained after two days near the South Medford border, about five miles from our house. Another smaller fire broke out near the Medford airport, also off of 1-5. From my house, I watched large airplanes bomb the fire with retardent to put out the fire. If the fire was not put out quickly, all of Central Point would have burned down. The fires made me realize everything we own can be gone in a minute and some things in our life are just out of our control.
 
Nice bike, congratulations! The waiting makes it that much sweeter. I thought it was bad enough that I had to wait a week for mine, but that was nothing compared to your wait. Here's to lots of enjoyable riding ahead.
 
Congrats from a fellow Oregon EX owner! Glad you made it safely out of the fires. I bet you’ll love the CB on hwy 199!
 
I would not have been able to sleep not knowing where my bike was. Congratulations on the bike.
 
Southernoregonduck_imp said:
Guys, thank you for the kind and encouraging words. I am looking forward to reporting many great rides. Pdedse - the Alemeda Fire started on the North 1-5 exit and roared north, destroying most of the towns of Talent and Phoenix. Over 2700 housing units were destroyed. Most of the homes burned were affordable housing, which was already in short supply. Though my home was not affected, I watched the smoke and fire traveling up the Rogue Valley. At the time of the fire, we did not know how far the fire was from our home. Very unsettling. The fire was finally contained after two days near the South Medford border, about five miles from our house. Another smaller fire broke out near the Medford airport, also off of 1-5. From my house, I watched large airplanes bomb the fire with retardent to put out the fire. If the fire was not put out quickly, all of Central Point would have burned down. The fires made me realize everything we own can be gone in a minute and some things in our life are just out of our control.
Wow. Like I said, so glad that is over for now.
 
Back
Top