Summer/Fall 2020 Adventure v2

peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
+1, and this is one of the reasons why I do not ride or drive behind HD!
Yeah, maybe I was too easy on the statement. You don't need to be "stopped" behind a HD to suffer. Driving and/or riding behind a HD in any situation is a hazard to one's health - seriously.

The only thing worse is a coal-rolling, under utilized diesel pick-up truck. Heck, it doesn't need to be coal-rolling to be worse.

= = =

Don't worry folks, these puffing machines will be a part of history. I just hope I am not drooling in my rocking chair before that time arrives.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Curious about the Buffalo Soldiers Group. Are they Ex army retirees or have some military affiliation or is the name a tip of the hat to a historically black unit? Can’t read the patches in the pictures.

I don’t really know. Will have to Google it. They are based in Chicago.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks to Houtman (John) and his wife in North Carolina for this afternoon’s hospitality and lunch. Glad I stopped. In-house Bob and his wife also made a showing. Really nice time. Give this visit a rating of 2 honks and flasher ... inside joke .. John can explain it. Wow. Finally the scenery changed to mountains and bushy trees (not pines) in NC and TN. Johnson City TN was last new state for this trip. Off to eastern Virt and Annapolis area to meet friends this week, then heading back to San Diego
6e1f53a388cec6ad166cb415e098baac.jpg

8fcb068d8fe913e0dc8bfe6cc7ff3a06.jpg

79b4ac50c4f7c7d10c83f0e7172868fc.jpg

a5aba770356d070851f23ccc295f5322.jpg

0a39400f94d8f8e6a222228f8dc1300f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Who's the latter day Rick Wakeman? :P
 
It was VERY nice to meet Bill , he is a great guy with a good sense of humor ! It was also nice that he could meet Inhousebob and his wife Tracey. My wife told me this morning that she wanted to give Bob one of my bikes and he said yes I take the one close to the door and just sneak it out when I was talking to Bob. Be careful with Bill around your bike and wife !
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Who's the latter day Rick Wakeman? :P
That’d be Houtman. Such a dashing figure.
We had a great visit with the Houtman’s and Bill. Ride safe Bill and good luck with that whole truck thing
 
Good you got to visit bflint. I was almost in Asheville yesterday myself. Riding north on BRP with the intention of having lunch at the PIsgah Inn Houtman is always talking about. About 50 miles south of Pisgah a Harley rider riding south went down and was apparently seriously hurt as they shut down the road and called in a helicopter from Asheville. They told us it would be 1/2 hour but an hour later they still didnt have it cleared up so we returned to Cherokee and found a spot to have lunch. After eating we headed north on the BRP again and rode to the highest point for photo op and then returned to Robbinsville NC.
 
The BRP is a very dangerous road if you do not pay attention , two accidents in the same place on Thursday and Friday pm near the turn of to route 151.
 
Sorry I missed the meet-up, but unfortunately I caught my wife's cold over the weekend. Have been coughing, sneezing and using copious amounts of tissues for the last few days.
 
Amos didn't anyone tell you to stay away from your wife or anyone's wife for that matter ! I hope that you feel better soon . I booked a table for Bob and Tracey and my wife and me at the Pisgah for Thursday lunch.
 
:rofl:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
+1, and this is one of the reasons why I do not ride or drive behind HD!
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
+1, and this is one of the reasons why I do not ride or drive behind HD!
:rofl:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Billie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
My 2014 CB1100 DX definitely uses oil when riding at sustained speed of 90mph. Barely registered in oil window. Added 1/2 quart this morning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
I would agree. The CB1100 puts out noticeably more particulate (whether burned or unburned) when compared to some other late model Honda siblings.

However, nothing even close to that of pretty well any model year HD.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, probably am, are you saying an HD would burn more oil?
I've been touring on Harley's out west for the last 12 yrs, usually putting on 3,500 to 5,500 mi, I will typically set the cruise at 85-86 mph and run for hours only stopping for gas in usually pretty hot conditions and I have never had to add oil before I got home.

2014 CB 1100
2020 HD Low Rider
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
Loosely speaking, 9 out of 10 HDs in this province (Ontario is a very populous province) spew unburnt particulate that is easily detectable when stuck behind them when stopped at a red light. The ones that appear not to tend to be the unmodified machines. This is an unscientific statement, but it is not hard to sample on the street. Any vehicle that burns oil makes the whole experience worse, including any affected Japanese bike.
+1, and this is one of the reasons why I do not ride or drive behind HD!
Yeah, maybe I was too easy on the statement. You don't need to be "stopped" behind a HD to suffer. Driving and/or riding behind a HD in any situation is a hazard to one's health - seriously.

The only thing worse is a coal-rolling, under utilized diesel pick-up truck. Heck, it doesn't need to be coal-rolling to be worse.

= = =

Don't worry folks, these puffing machines will be a part of history. I just hope I am not drooling in my rocking chair before that time arrives.
Yeah, maybe I was too easy on the statement. You don't need to be "stopped" behind a HD to suffer. Driving and/or riding behind a HD in any situation is a hazard to one's health - seriously.

The only thing worse is a coal-rolling, under utilized diesel pick-up truck. Heck, it doesn't need to be coal-rolling to be worse.

= = =

Don't worry folks, these puffing machines will be a part of history. I just hope I am not drooling in my rocking chair before that time arrives.
:biker::rofl:
 
Thread starter
Today was supposed to be an easy 200 mile ride to daughters in-laws in Centreville VA. Well it rained for 190 miles... also had wardrobe malfunction... snap broke on my helmet shield (again) so rain was spraying in my face ... duck tape to the rescue. Had great dinner tonight plus sleeping in a nice warm bed .... it’s great to have friends and relatives
f7100863ea839cceb3800cdce13ea691.png
b9357cbd1dfcc57b6745e34b0a594c85.png
c031ebf93cf2917d8b14e5b202bfbeff.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Maybe you didn't see my earlier question about how many miles at 90 mph do you figure it took too burn that 1/2 quart of oil.



2014 CB 1100
2020 HD LowRider
 
Thread starter
Billie_imp said:
Maybe you didn't see my earlier question about how many miles at 90 mph do you figure it took too burn that 1/2 quart of oil.



2014 CB 1100
2020 HD LowRider

Maybe about 400 going thru deserts. After showing oil window to Houtman an In-house Bob, they thought I maybe misread it. I will swear that I started the engine on the morning, let it run for a couple minutes, turned off engine, waited a couple minutes, and oil level was tad below low mark ... so I added 1/2 quart oil.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Lets not ruin bflints excellent road trip thread, ok?
 
Thread starter
Did Guinness USA plant, in Baltimore Maryland, yesterday with daughters in-laws then made it to Annapolis to stay with my Helix buddy. He and his brother own pool businesses (business is booming during COVID). They gave me my own shovel to help dig. Had my morning coffee on a pier on the Chesapeake Bay ... could see myself boating around here️. My pesky helmet face shield snap keeps breaking off ... will try 2 part epoxy again... after that I’ll get by with the duct tape.
9a52664be1a90de7d548f00a4f545bf2.png
4371a15f2b82e127c882f3b3fc173736.png
f5141a532295cd234455c6da89074567.png
3891370993b012f73bd4a5511ebd3616.jpg

1a025ecaf680439d850676e57c99e972.jpg

06d7d9a666b1d4b97801d1315dc01a58.jpg

0c10ec81a724f69b38832fe181092fef.jpg

d254c7065306c8fddd1831c38140714c.jpg

2dfef094f96ff77d28f5eae326026846.jpg

ee1532619b71548236373c25a910ba85.jpg

6a1644bdabbc36ba6057f0c402e02aaa.jpg

ff498e29b1178fc18d46670e3b01bbdf.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Gee, it’s been a long time since I had a glass of Harp. I’m enjoying your adventure, bflint.
 
Thread starter
Rode from Wichita KS to Gallup NM ... 700+ miles today. Home tomorrow? While going thru Kansas i saw a 3 foot high corn like crop with reddish corn/silk... gas station guy called it milo or sorghum... said it’s used for cattle feed. It covered 100 miles of land that I rode thru... beautiful to look at. I wondered where they took the harvested milo ... well when I got to Oklahoma or Texas I found out.... there was a ocean of beef cattle. I was blown away ... on both sides of US Route 54 for miles there was endless corals of cattle... Looked like 100,000 head or more. The signs read “Five Rivers”. Pics don’t do it justice but I a rookie photographer. Went thru Oklahoma panhandle today so now I’ve done 4 ... Texas, Florida, Idaho, Oklahoma ... so what ... just saying
f0200637e9144c56e110ed5a2f757d39.png
a50dfbd3e608bdb07fc2604447db4d19.png
a13b526e5eeb058b8ce09812cd92d895.jpg

7cf01b3f41a75c7e86f564f35f92270d.jpg

b6d05a04893e9306c09679e07f031e0a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top