Summer 2021 Adventure

Dave_imp said:
Hello. Sounds like you have a nice trip planned. I grew up in Rochester NY, so I have a couple of suggestions for you while traveling in this part of the country.
1. Make sure you have good rain gear.
2. Watch out for radar in NY. (radar detectors are illegal there), and watch out for
deer.
3. Visit Niagara Falls, and if possible, cross over to the Canadian side and dine at the
Skylon restaurant. This is a revolving restaurant 700+ feet directly above the falls
with a view you won't forget.
4. If possible, ride through Letchworth State Park.
5. If possible, take time to visit the Finger Lakes area. Route 14 runs south right past
Watkins Glen State Park, and the Watkins Glen race track.
6. If possible visit the Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport (Finger Lakes area).
They have a very nice display of Glen Curtis motorcycles and airplanes.
Hey Dave: I think there are wonderful routes all over upstate New York. An old favourite place to eat is The Owl House in Rochester. Used to pop over there just for lunch coming from the north shore of Lake Ontario. In fact, I am overdue a visit there. Seems the virus needs to unlock the border soon.
 
Thread starter
Status -
1. Still working on incorporating forum suggestions into my route. Had to pause planning to deal with employment and life stuff.
2. Wanted to do Canada, but Canada is out because of COVID restrictions. Not in the mood to chance the stupid details.
3. Updated route soon to come. THANKS EVERYONE.
 
Thread starter
OK. MR's Roper, Stichill, Tommymck, Dave, Houtman.
*
I updated my route accordingly. Did not incorporate Finger Lakes NY routes this time (because of time crunch) but did this two years ago with my wife (all the places you mentioned) plus we picked up a bunch of their wine and shipped it home. Also, I originally used Bing Maps to rough out trip but it only allows 25 map points. Switched to RoadTrippers which I normally finalize my routes in. Unfortunately, RoadTrippers does not have a "avoid toll roads" feature, so I just am now trying out Furkot which seems pretty nice.
*
Updated route link: USA North Route
*
 
are the orange dots stopping points or direction change points or simply reference points?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
are the orange dots stopping points or direction change points or simply reference points?
Basically most are just a change of direction point. However, a few are friends and family located in Denver, Detroit, Buffalo, Annapolis, Centreville.
 
Looks like quite an adventure. Unless you have some specific reason to do so, I would suggest altering your route to avoid the 80/94 corridor around the bottom of Lake Michigan — Traffic is usually pretty miserable there 24/7. Also, I’d take the Great River Road on the Minnesota/Iowa side of the Mississippi to get south rather than zigzagging across Iowa. But again, I don’t know if you have reasons for the route you chose.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Looks like quite an adventure. Unless you have some specific reason to do so, I would suggest altering your route to avoid the 80/94 corridor around the bottom of Lake Michigan — Traffic is usually pretty miserable there 24/7. Also, I’d take the Great River Road on the Minnesota/Iowa side of the Mississippi to get south rather than zigzagging across Iowa. But again, I don’t know if you have reasons for the route you chose.
#1 - Why 80/94 corridor? No reason other that that's what I have always taken when traveling between Chicago and Lansing/Detroit.
#2 - Zigzagging across Iowa? Just need to ride thru (touch) Minnesota to add it to my 48 state list, then onto Detroit to visit uncle. Coming from 80 up 35/90 to Austin MN then 218 back down to 80 by Iowa City IA looked like the fastest route. Great River Road looks really scenic/historic but I don't think I have time for that.
**
Still open to route changes/improvements. Thanks :)
**
Update route link: USA North Route
 
Understood about the time. I assume that the tim consideration also keeps you from going the longer way, through the UP of Michigan from IA to Detroit? Quite a bit longer but a much nicer ride (unless Illinois is a “check off” state).
 
Ok… a couple of options:

1. Reset your rout to take more of a NE diagonal (probably more like a zigzag route) through Nebraska toward Minneapolis. Then continue through MN and around the top of Lake Michigan through the U.P. I can put you on some faster-but-still-nice roads through WI and up to Mackinac, but I don’t know anything about Nebraska or Minnesota. And this route is still longer than you planned by a few hundred miles.

2. Take your existing route on 80 through Joliet, IL and pick up US30 at New Lenox.
- US30 East to IN2 (near Valparaiso)
- IN2 Northeast to US6
- US6 East to US31
- US31 North to US20 (near South Bend)
- US20 East to either: 1. I-69 to I-94 then east to Detroit or 2. I-75 in Toledo and north to Detroit.

If you take the US highways 30, 6, and 20, and did not want to continue onto interstates to Detroit, I can help you with some of the non-interstate routes in Michigan.

If you time your ride to be at the Illinois/Indiana border on 80/94 at 5:30am or earlier (maybe 6:30 on a weekend) then it might still be a good option. It’s just such a terrible motorcycle route once the traffic and/or construction starts.

Hope this helps.
 
Looks like a great trip!

There are tons of great roads along mountaints/streams in WV and VA that parallel I-81 along the left side of Virginia. If you aren't in a rush, stay off I-81.

And if ya wanna stay off I-64 in to DC, aim for Rt.50 (and all all the tons of little scenic roads and byways up there) or Rt.55 (chill, easy ride...). No real way to get around suburbia when you get up to DC, but I think it's worth heading into DC for a day to ride around the National Mall. You'll see all the buildings and monuments you normally only see on TV.
 
bflint_imp said:
OK. MR's Roper, Stichill, Tommymck, Dave, Houtman.
*
I updated my route accordingly. Did not incorporate Finger Lakes NY routes this time (because of time crunch) but did this two years ago with my wife (all the places you mentioned) plus we picked up a bunch of their wine and shipped it home. Also, I originally used Bing Maps to rough out trip but it only allows 25 map points. Switched to RoadTrippers which I normally finalize my routes in. Unfortunately, RoadTrippers does not have a "avoid toll roads" feature, so I just am now trying out Furkot which seems pretty nice.
*
Updated route link: USA North Route
*
Good call on skipping I-15 to SLC then across Wyoming. Very dull scenery, can be extremely windy and tons of big-rigs to contend with through Wyoming. Besides, the I-70 route through the Colorado Rockies is much more pleasant on the eyes, though perhaps not on the MPG.
 
Just drove I-70 through Colorado between Grand Junction and the Kansas state line. That road is in atrocious condition. As soon as you leave or enter Kansas in the west, you’ll immediately notice the perfection of I-70 in Kansas. However, the rest areas across Kansas are deplorable & disgusting.

P.S. Gas is $0.50 to $0.80 higher in Colorado and Illinois vs. Kansas and Missouri.
 
Thread starter
*TRIP UPDATE*
Believe I am about to launch this trip (now that my daughter/son-in-law successfully made me a grandpa and all are happy and healthy).
*
Final trip route is layed out at USA North Route
*
Will post some pics here and on facebook, but will post video to YouTube (San Diego Moto Bill).
*
First video of my CB1100 setup is at
 
bflint_imp said:
*TRIP UPDATE*
Believe I am about to launch this trip (now that my daughter/son-in-law successfully made me a grandpa and all are happy and healthy).
*
Final trip route is layed out at USA North Route
*
Will post some pics here and on facebook, but will post video to YouTube (San Diego Moto Bill).
*
First video of my CB1100 setup is at
Coolio - and congratulations grandpa!

Nice touring circuit. Seriously savor and enjoy.

I can wave to you from Fort Erie (across from Buffalo, NY).
 
I finally watched the video of you showing all your gear. Wow. That's like two pillions. :P

Makes me think of my backpacking days and everything I brought seemed essential. That carried through to my 20's when I finally figured out less is more after trying to hike with a 65 lb pack through Bryce Canyon for a week. I was miserable. Thankfully in your case you have an engine to do all the heavy lifting and you are packing not just for you, but also for the motorcycle as well.

Best of luck and please drive safely! Can't wait for an on-the-road update!
 
Just watched your video and looked at your itinerary. Fair play to you, that is very ambitious and you are really pushing yourself. That is an average of 380 miles a day for a straight 18 days with a heavily loaded bike. I shall watch your updates with great interest, have the very best time :beerchug:.
 
You look to be passing 5 miles from my place in the DC area/Springfield, VA. If you reach out via PM when you get close, we can see about riding some miles together or if you need a place to spend the night, we could make room around here somewhere. Shower is hot and the food is tasty :thumbsup:

Edit: Just read back a couple of pages and see that you have family or friends close by in Centreville, so you are all taken care of. But if you want a ride-mate for some miles, let me know. Any excuse for a ride :-)
 
Looking forward to following you on your journey.
 
Back
Top