Summer 2021 Adventure

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Over the past 4 years I have ridden thru 38 US States on my CB1100. This summer, eta blast off of July 1st, I hope to ride my CB1100 thru the last 10 of the 48 contiguous US States. The 10 states are: Minnesota, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, & Delaware. The link below is a Bing Maps route of my initial travel plan.
*
FYI, this 48 state bucket list thing is not so much about the fun of stopping and smelling the roses as it is about making miles and hitting destination objectives ... a pure road trip mentality that probably only makes sense to me.
*
That said, do any of my forum brethren have any suggestions on route changes/stops that might mike this 2021 ride easier and/or more enjoyable?
*
Bing Maps route link: Bing Maps
*
 
An admirable goal, and in such a short time. That's awesome

I have ridden 42 of the 48. Missing N & S Dakota plus RI, Conn, N Jersey and Delaware. At this point doesnt look like I am destined to get them all, kind of disappointing, but in the end I've had a great run and ridden to a lot of really cool places

Rooting for you bflint! And cant wait to read the ride report.
 
I would avoid St. Louis and Louisville. In Missouri, you could stay more to the south. At Springfield, MO head toward Poplar Bluff, MO thence to Paducah, KY and on to Lexington, KY. That will let you ride through the southern part of Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri, and see quite a bit of Kentucky on the Western Kentucky Parkway and Bluegrass Parkway. Plus, you still get to sneak into Illinois at Cairo, but please don't bother stopping there (for safety). Bonus: crossing two major rivers at the same time, Missouri River and Ohio River, and seeing the Mississippi River from the Kentucky side.

59380c6ee81d18f0ce3c2d2171471de4.png


Google Maps
 
Dang. I liked Louisville, well at the time I was there.

Lexington was a tidy city. Learned a lot about bourbon while in KY, especially in Bardstown.
 
I was thinking that bflint isn't a rose-sniffing tourist but also doesn't want undue traffic/highway drudgery. As a rider, I avoid "yellow zones" (anything yellow on a map) as much as possible because it is truly unpleasant to ride through the big ones.

Agreed, Louisville is a great town. Was home to a great regional bike gathering called the Kentucky Kickdown, which was awesome when it was held in an artsy bohemian part of town, but it got big enough they moved to more of a campground-style event.

8e8ff025e9561523049e9e117687cec2.jpg


Lexington is a nice university / hospital town. As a rider, I'd avoid its interminable stoplights and traffic, caused by intentionally poor road planning to discourage cars.

Bardstown, on the other hand, is worth stopping and looking around.

91eeb3e098d9836b87f3738b106de391.jpg
 
Man, there are some great places to ride in Utah. If you want to blow through in the quickest amount of time, you have the right route. From St. George to SLC, it's 80 mph along the southern half of I-15, then drops to 75, then to 65 as it becomes more populated. I hate I-15 on a motorcycle. It's straight and boring as he**. Lots of motorhomes, big pickups pulling fifth wheels, and semi trucks. And they're idiots. They think they can pass going uphill, and they slow all the traffic down to 50. Which might be okay if you need a break from the wind at 80 mph.

If you shift east, and take some of the state and U.S. highways through the mountains, it's a much more enjoyable ride. It'll take longer, but it won't suck nearly as much.
 
Looks like a great adventure, bflint. I completely get the 'making miles and hitting destination' objective. Have a great ride!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
An admirable goal, and in such a short time. That's awesome

I have ridden 42 of the 48. Missing N & S Dakota plus RI, Conn, N Jersey and Delaware. At this point doesnt look like I am destined to get them all, kind of disappointing, but in the end I've had a great run and ridden to a lot of really cool places

Rooting for you bflint! And cant wait to read the ride report.
Admirable Mr Ferret. You have riden way more motos and more years than me. Based on your forum writiings, I expect your travel style has been and is much more enjoyable than mine. You still might get those last few states. Thanks for rooting for me :)
Hey Mr Stichill and Mr Roper .... thanks for your route modification suggestions ... I am reworking my overall route with your mods to see what it looks like ... first impressions is they seem reasonable and would add some enjoyment value to my route :)
 
bflint_imp said:
Over the past 4 years I have ridden thru 38 US States on my CB1100. This summer, eta blast off of July 1st, I hope to ride my CB1100 thru the last 10 of the 48 contiguous US States. The 10 states are: Minnesota, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, & Delaware. The link below is a Bing Maps route of my initial travel plan.
*
FYI, this 48 state bucket list thing is not so much about the fun of stopping and smelling the roses as it is about making miles and hitting destination objectives ... a pure road trip mentality that probably only makes sense to me.
*
That said, do any of my forum brethren have any suggestions on route changes/stops that might mike this 2021 ride easier and/or more enjoyable?
*
Bing Maps route link: Bing Maps
*
Hi b,

My main comment (based on the part of the route that runs through my neck of the woods) is that I'd ditch the Capitol Beltway (495) part of the route and stay on 66 all the way into and through DC. That dumps you onto 395, and you'll ride within sight and past the monument and Capitol, all without traffic lights or other stops. 395 turns into 695 which dumps you onto 295N which takes you to 50 and Bob's your uncle through to your stop at Annapolis. And, it's shorter and quicker.
One might caveat this with "it depends on time of day", but any time that 66 into DC is a problem, the beltway north of the city is 10x of a problem. Think taking the 405 from Long Beach to North Hollywood during rush hour.

Downtown Annapolis itself is definitely a cool stop and place to stay over, if that's your plan.
 
Good tips for riding around "The District", tommymck. I'm originally from east central Virginia; left almost 35 years ago. Traffic in N. VA and MD was bad back then...I can't imagine what it's like now.
 
Thread starter
Hey Mr. Tommymck, will adjust my route to stay off Captial Beltway. FYI, I have lived that hel** several times in the last few years. First moto trip to my friends place in Severna Park MD in 2018 ... my friend could only laugh because I went up and down (and all around) the Beltway for 3 hours trying to find the correct turnoff to his place (did not have aBluetooth device at the time). Finely said F-it and had late lunch at Kentucky Fried while my friend continued to laugh hysterically on the phone.
 
Congratulations bflint from Spain (EUROPE): good luck, in your trip. With the Honda there are no limits!!!!


Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk
 
Epic Trip!

bflint_imp said:
Over the past 4 years I have ridden thru 38 US States on my CB1100. This summer, eta blast off of July 1st, I hope to ride my CB1100 thru the last 10 of the 48 contiguous US States. The 10 states are: Minnesota, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, & Delaware. The link below is a Bing Maps route of my initial travel plan.
*
FYI, this 48 state bucket list thing is not so much about the fun of stopping and smelling the roses as it is about making miles and hitting destination objectives ... a pure road trip mentality that probably only makes sense to me.
*
That said, do any of my forum brethren have any suggestions on route changes/stops that might mike this 2021 ride easier and/or more enjoyable?
*
Bing Maps route link: Bing Maps
*
 
Hello. Sounds like you have a nice trip planned. I grew up in Rochester NY, so I have a couple of suggestions for you while traveling in this part of the country.
1. Make sure you have good rain gear.
2. Watch out for radar in NY. (radar detectors are illegal there), and watch out for
deer.
3. Visit Niagara Falls, and if possible, cross over to the Canadian side and dine at the
Skylon restaurant. This is a revolving restaurant 700+ feet directly above the falls
with a view you won't forget.
4. If possible, ride through Letchworth State Park.
5. If possible, take time to visit the Finger Lakes area. Route 14 runs south right past
Watkins Glen State Park, and the Watkins Glen race track.
6. If possible visit the Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport (Finger Lakes area).
They have a very nice display of Glen Curtis motorcycles and airplanes.
 
As we used to live in Upstate New York I fully agree with Dave's recommendations , we took a lot of family to the Canadian side for a meal in the revolving restaurant , you will never forget that view. Seneca lake wine country is also great , spend time there last week.
 
@Bflint
@ Dave
@Houtman
Yes...been to Skylon Tower restaurant a few times with our Aussie friends. Temporarily closed/covid.
We all love steaks, so variety of stakes were served +++...
Beautiful views, floor is continuously rotating 360*, very good restaurant and meal.
Must visit Niagara Falls/CAN for views and meals....

If you lucky, you may meet some Canadian forum members :D
 
Back
Top