suhawk305's bike

Thread starter
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I spent the last few days making numerous phone calls, arguing with my insurance company, and talking to people who have knowledge of the insurance claims process. Jim, (tinboatcapt), you nailed it. Will866 and MTC are right, however, my insurance company would not budge! I found out that repair shops considers my insurance a pain in the a$$. Name of the insurance company? Perhaps I should not say. If I were to give a hint, it could be like this: fill in the blanks.... North Dakota is a beautiful _____ in the US. Cows, hayfields, barns are found in a dairy ______.

What I learned, Honda Finance considers my CB total loss and they no longer consider the bike as an asset. They do not care what I do with the CB, however, I have to pay my loan off.

Once my insurance company classified my CB as a total loss, there is no going back regardless of the damages (see Jim's post).

If I salvage the bike, I would be about $6K in the hole after the insurance payment (minus the salvage value of $1.6K) is issued. That is before I do any $ work on the CB. In NYS, I would have to get a special inspection before I can title the CB again. That title is called a "Salvage Title" which would reduce the trade-in value or sale value of the CB. Off course, a few years from now, that decreased book value would not make much of a difference.

If I withdraw my insurance claim, I believe I still have to satisfy my loan balance (I need to verify that).

This is what surprised me: If I let the bike go as a total loss, I would have to come-up with between $1.8K to 2.8K to satisfy the loan. What I originally overlooked; I will get a refund for my Honda Care extended warrantee and a NYS required loan gap coverage. When I finally got someone at Honda Finance who knew what he was talking about, I was told that it is likely I will get at least $1K, probably closer to $2K gap coverage (based on his experience with several total lose claims). When I asked him why the gap does not totally cover the loan balance, he stated gap covers only the bike. Gap does not cover sales tax, dealer fees, accessories I added, NYS registration fees, etc. that were paid for in the loan.

Questions remain whether my dealer can come-up with a reasonable deal for another 2014 CB1100 STD and my wife does not find out I may be putting out more $ for a replacement bike. Of course I will not directly lie to her, but not tell her all for those boring financial details! As long I do not spend our money that is set aside for the final phase of home remolding, she will be happy. BTW, a Honda Dealer in Baltimore, MD had three new 2014 CB1100 STD listed for $6.3K (plus fees I am sure). I called today and they were all sold.

jimgl353: that picture is a post crash photo. It is hard to see damage at that distance. The bike was not that hurt. Here is a closer photo view:

I will report back with the final outcome, hopefully by the end of next week.
 
Thread starter
Have you considered making a deal with a company that sells used parts? Wouldn't hurt to find out what they would pay you for your bike for parts.
 
Suhawk, Sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you're feeling better and that you are thinking through all the possible options on what to do. God bless you and your wife. Russ
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
Have you considered making a deal with a company that sells used parts? Wouldn't hurt to find out what they would pay you for your bike for parts.
Nortoon, thanks for the suggestion. The problem is the CB's NADA book value dropped significantly compared to what I paid November 2016. Even if I sold my CB at current book value, I still would be below the loan balance.


cooldrum_imp said:
Suhawk, Sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you're feeling better and that you are thinking through all the possible options on what to do. God bless you and your wife. Russ
Hi Russ! Good to hear from you! Thanks for the kind words. BTW I got the 305 CB77 Superhawk apart right now (carbs ultrasonic cleaning, new handlebars, wiring, etc.). Poor timing, I would be riding it now.
Still have your CL77?
Mike
 
Very sorry to read all of this, Suhawk. It might not make a financial difference, but I'd switch insurance companies on general principle.
 
Despite having 26 accident free years of motorcycling experience with the same insurance company, my bike insurance was almost the same as my Impala LTZ. The Impala is 7 times more expensive than the bike. I only ride the bike on quiet rural roads about once a week during a 6 month riding season. My wife drives the car everyday summer and winter in city traffic.

Insurance premiums calculations are based on historical accident coverage costs. The difference between the two policies in the injury coverage. That make sense a we are far more likely to be injured in an bike accident than a large steel and glass cage.

Given that this motorcycle has been in an accident, the insurance company is looking at the repair cost, your accident history, their adjuster's costs should they be required, and safety concerns should this bike be repaired improperly. It's all about risk and cost.

I had a flat rear tire caused by a nail. I was 1 1/2 hours from home and the tire only had 6,000 kilometers on it. None of the garages in the area would install a plug in the rear tire of a motorcycle because of the risk involved. I left the nail in, re-inflated the tire and limped home. I spoke to my Honda dealer and they also were reluctant to install a plug. It was also expensive given the labour involved. I had the tire replace for my own peace of mind. Cost versus risk.
 
at the speeds we ride our CB's there's little to no risk with a plug. sportbikes going 100+ is a different story.

got a nail in my dl650 tire once, pulled it out and screwed a sheet metal screw in till the head was just below the surface and never gave it another thought.
 
No Cormanus, years ago. My parents were with Nationwide forever, so when I started legally driving at 16, I started buying my insurance through my dad's Nationwide agent. 11 years of paying my insurance later, a giant oak tree fell on my brand new car. Squished it good, hood, cab, hatchback, flattened the tires, bulged the body panels, obviously totaled. The next day, my wife and I were leaving for Florida on a motorcycle trip so we called the agent and told him. They towed it to the shop for an estimate.. While in Fla I got a call from my dad saying they were going to fix the car. Whaaat? Anyhow I paid $3800 for the car (new Toyota Corolla Hatchback..my first new car). The insurance company paid $4100 to fix it. Problem was it wasn't fixed. Paint flaking off, water squirting inside the hatch at the car wash. It was a mess. I called the ins co and they said "see the dealer we paid them to fix it". The dealer said "we did everything they paid us to do and we aren't doing any more unless we get more money". All I wanted was my car fixed. No help from either one, so I sold the car, quit doing business with Toyota (bought a Volkswagon to replace it, then switched to Honda's) and quit doing business with Nationwide Insurance company. Always got a kick out of their "Nationwide is on your side commercials" after my experience. Funny thing is, years later I learned since I had a substantial loan on the car that the bank actually owned more of the car than I did, and had I gone to the bank with the problem, their lawyers would have gotten involved. Live and learn.
 
Thread starter
Well this afternoon I made a decision, and the circus in my head finally left town. I told State Farm to take my CB11 and I will close-out the loan. I met with an owner of my local Honda dealer and asked him whether he could give me a break for another 2014 STD order. He showed me all of the numbers, and wow, with his discounts, the bottom line is much lower compared what I paid for the one I totaled. He was honest and straight with his numbers, pointed out what fees he will charge and the others he is waiving. No B...S.... about the Honda Bucks rebate credit. Surprisingly, the MSRP has not dropped since last November.

Cormanus, It is probably safe to remove my former 2014 CB11 STD #100998 from the VIN spreadsheet. I will update you when I take possession of my new one.

I placed the order for the new CB11 and went home and told my wife the great news! Well, she gave me that wifely look and said, "You did what?" Again, I promised her I will not spend our home remodeling money. I showed her all of the numbers and she is ok with it. Phew....

Now, I plan on insuring my bike with a different insurance company. One thing for sure, I now know more about the process when I question them. Is it ok to ask for suggestions? Especially NY State residents. Nortoon, I do not think I will shop for insurance in Canada!

Now I can relax. Thanks all.
 
Glad that's over for you suhawk. I might leave the bike in the registry but note that it's no longer yours. Might also prompt me to include a 'notes' field. Then again ....
 
Well, at least that part of all this is over, and you can look forward. So etimes thats the best we can take from certain situations
 
What Ferret said. I'm glad you can move on AND you get a new CB!
 
I had Geico on my car in CT and that was perhaps the best customer service I've ever had after a glass window blew out of a NEW box truck in front of me that did not even have the box added yet. Glass shattered on the road and all over my car. They repainted the entire front and it was all done in days, not weeks. They didn't glue that rubber window frame in! Doh!
Congrats Suhawk305 on your new '14!
 
Thread starter
I am back......Drove my brand new 2014 CB1100 Standard (2nd one) home today! With it, I got the engine guards and a rear carrier, which I had on my first CB1100 that I crashed on March 29th. Of course, I bought a new helmet. I was concerned I would be a little jittery getting on this CB, I had absolutely no fears once I hit the starter button, put her in gear and drove down the road. I felt confident back on the saddle.

Update on my Honda Finance loan I had on my first CB: My insurance company finally paid Honda Finance a couple of weeks ago. I talked to Honda finance yesterday and they are now evaluating how much gap coverage I will get to reduce the shortage in the upside-down loan balance. With the principal I paid from opening the loan last December, and the "gap coverage", I may end up paying a little more than my $500 insurance deductible to close out that loan. I will see...

Cormanus, my new VIN is 1048

Oh yes, I changed insurance companies!

Good to be back again.
Mike


 
Back
Top