Sturgis Cancelled (for me)

KiowaEagle_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I was going to go to Sturgis the first week of August (yes I know it's the week before) but we decided to cancel that trip. So a friend and I are planning to go to Athens, OH to do the Windy 9's on the 2nd and 3rd and then head south to spend the 6th & 7th in the Deals Gap area.

So two questions. Which of the Windy 9's should we concentrate on. I understand they're generally half day 100 mile or so rides so I'm hoping we can get 4 in. Which are the best?

And then Deals Gap. Of course we'll hit up the Dragon, what else should we look for?

Thanks in advance guys! :biker:
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
So I was going to go to Sturgis the first week of August (yes I know it's the week before) but we decided to cancel that trip. So a friend and I are planning to go to Athens, OH to do the Windy 9's on the 2nd and 3rd and then head south to spend the 6th & 7th in the Deals Gap area.

So two questions. Which of the Windy 9's should we concentrate on. I understand they're generally half day 100 mile or so rides so I'm hoping we can get 4 in. Which are the best?

And then Deals Gap. Of course we'll hit up the Dragon, what else should we look for?

Thanks in advance guys! :biker:
I really enjoyed the Cherhola Skyway--even more than the Dragon. Although I'd probably always run the Dragon again if I get out that way.
 
KiowaEagle asked "....what else should we look for?"

KE, you have to be more specific with your question. Knowing you, you intended to ask "Where are the best bars/beer joints/pubs around these areas".
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
KiowaEagle asked "....what else should we look for?"

KE, you have to be more specific with your question. Knowing you, you intended to ask "Where are the best bars/beer joints/pubs around these areas".
You forgot strip joints....:banana:
 
I'll follow your posts and perhaps join you for Deals Gap, KE. Let me know if you'd like to drop by here. Been trying to coordinate a visit by Mtneers, perhaps we could line up a "micro-rally". We have a very private downstairs, perfect for guests!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the invite Amos! As it happens I've been talking to Mtneers about it and he thought he might be able to join us for that leg of the journey.
 
I might be able to join you on the Athens trip for a day or two. I've ridden that area a lot, but not familiar with the Windy 9 routes. I think I have their brochure upstairs, not sure. I know Roadrunner also did a Windy 9 story which I think I have.

As far as Deals Gap, Dragon, Cherhala, Moonshiner 28, Foothills Parkway, the Rattler, Babarosa Saloon Run, Thunder Road Loop,

PM me your phone number and I'll text you a map pic

Better yet I will send you a link via pm
 
Be careful on the dragon. Way too many young kids in cars faster than their capabilities. No respect at all for sides of the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Be careful on the dragon. Way too many young kids in cars faster than their capabilities. No respect at all for sides of the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, that's my one worry about that road. That and other bikes.
 
Here's a link to the Windy 9. Keep in mind this is an Athen's county thing so they are all in one county and there is plenty of good riding outside of that county.

https://athensohio.com/category/ohios-windy-9/

However if going by this I would definitely ride # 1 Rim of the World. 78 is a good road and I can't tell if this map goes by the Old Muskie Bucket which is a must see, but the Stockport Inn is very cool if it is open.

you will probably also want to ride #9 the Triple Nickle which is pretty famous here. Our Dragon. Noorthern Section is very technical with sharp turns, cut backs and blind rises. The southern half down to the Ohio river which I don't think is in Athens co is a better road for me. Still pretty fun without the danger of too technical of road.
 
Thread starter
In reading online it sounded like #3 Hocking Hills Nipper was a good ride too.

I'm looking forward to these Windy 9's. I had never heard of this area before last year and I've had a few people tell me it was well worth going. Good technical roads without the traffic and without the 35 mph speed limits. Some said better than the dragon because of that.
 
This is the area Jennifer and I usually ride. We live about 60 miles north of Athens. Our favorite roads are:

SR78
SR60 north of SR36
SR79 north of SR16
SR541 between SR79 and SR36
SR664
SR374
SR377
SR83
SR376 between SR78 and SR60
SR56
SR555 I hate it but Jennifer loves it.

We would love to join you for a ride. But maybe not SR555. I really do hate it. Too much gravel in the corners.
 
I'm still headed out to Sturgis, probably leave the 3rd or 4th. Mainly go to visit with friends from all over the states that I've been camping with for years.
Everyone is welcome, the stories about non Harley riders being turned away at the city limits is an old wives tale.
 
Well take some pics Billie. We love pics and those would be interesting.
 
Billie_imp said:
I'm still headed out to Sturgis, probably leave the 3rd or 4th. Mainly go to visit with friends from all over the states that I've been camping with for years.
Everyone is welcome, the stories about non Harley riders being turned away at the city limits is an old wives tale.

I’ll have to live vicariously thru your Sturgis pics ‘cause my riding friends and I pulled the plug on this year’s trip also.
512cf61acd89badda6ad8721151cb2a6.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Considering the recent and dramatic uptick in Covid cases across the country, I’m surprised Sturgis hasn’t been cancelled this year, but it hasn’t. There is no statewide mask mandate in South Dakota.
 
I'm beginning to wonder if the rally in Pa is a good idea this year.
 
Canada-U.S. border restrictions

"As of June 19, 2020, the restriction on all discretionary travel at the Canada-U.S. border that was initially implemented on March 21, 2020, was extended for an additional 30 days until July 21, 2020. This applies to all foreign nationals with some exceptions for immediate family members (see section below). Potential travellers should consult the Border Information Service for information.

Examples of discretionary/optional travel include:

tourism
recreation
entertainment
If you do not have signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and must cross the border for work or other non-discretionary purposes, you may continue to do so. Some examples of non-discretionary travel purposes are:

work and study
critical infrastructure support
economic services and supply chains
health, immediate medical care, safety and security
Some persons working in the health care field are considered exempt from the border prohibition. This is the case as long as they do not provide direct care for people over 65 years of age within the first 14 days of their entry into Canada.

Even if you are permitted to cross the border, mandatory quarantine measures may still apply upon your return to Canada."
 
Back
Top