Stripped the valve cover

Ugh...I would have traded you straight up for the one off my 13.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Aren't those chrome? I am shooting for a brushed finish.
Don't think so, just polished.
 
Thread starter
Yes, a spray can of paint stripper from the local hardware store. Although 1 can was enough to get most of the factory finish off- it took several sprays to get it done. If I were to do it again I would specifically buy aircraft stripper from Amazon. That should get it all in 1 shot. It was a spur of the moment purchase that I am paying for by more work.
 
Thread starter
Can someone with a dlx please take me some close up shots of the valve cover so I can see what the gold standard is? Thanks in advance.

e66b180ba89985d8bcef75a2390144cf.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rough first cut. Going to have to hand work a lot of the tight spots before finish work-

4cdd09718f822e8807bda0d992193e01.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
This takes the longest out of everything I'm doing. I don't want bare. I don't want polished. I want brushed- and that means all done by hand.

52704c30472b62bf450598acf96aaf97.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Not going to lie – the amount of nooks and crannies and the toughness of the factory black makes this very difficult and time-consuming. I am getting close to finishing it after several hours on each part and if it wasn't for the ridiculous cost of just buying a silver valve cover from the factory that's what I would've done.



93f5f3088890aa2604784f6650cbccac.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just sprayed the rocker caps with the clear – so that clouds them up until they dry. But pretty much here is the end results. Not perfect, but once installed on the bike from 3 feet away no one will probably notice many imperfections.

The silver valve cover alone, if I remember correctly it was something like four or $500 to buy a new one. That is not counting the two rocker caps. My total cost to do the three pieces for paint stripper, sandpaper and clearcoat high temp paint was probably something like 40 or $50 – yes many hours, but I am OK with that.

4e4c57bfd1827bd81a5b26fe6b356124.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I really wish you would have put out a feeler if anyone wanted to swap with you, because I would have done it in a second.
 
Thread starter
Retsel_imp said:
Looks good. What brand clear coat did you use?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'll double check when I get to the garage today. Some sort of clear high temp.



Randy B_imp said:
I really wish you would have put out a feeler if anyone wanted to swap with you, because I would have done it in a second.

I still may. This was a spare set bought off Ebay for cheap. No idea how the clearcoat will hold up. Once I pull the factory black ones off, I may swap em with you.
 
Back
Top