Strange Tank Logo

The Flying 1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all, need some help on a bike I’ve seen. It’s a bit of a curious one. A black edition RS registered in 2020 but it has an unusual tank logo. I’m wondering if the original tank had an issue and the replacement fitted is different.

It has a round wing logo within a round emblem in red… any ideas?
 
Does it look anything like the badge on the tank on my avatar? I'm sorry I can't post a better picture at the moment. If so, it's the tank emblem from the original 2010-2016 bikes.

Edit: I found a picture.

 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Does it look anything like the badge on the tank on my avatar? I'm sorry I can't post a better picture at the moment. If so, it's the tank emblem from the original 2010-2016 bikes.

Edit: I found a picture.



No it’s different. I thought I had uploaded it but it has failed to display. I’ll try again.
[url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224562648675?hash=item3448fa1663:g:iwQAAOSwGGNhDY-r]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224562648675?hash=item3448fa1663:g:iwQAAOSwGGNhDY-r

Sorry can’t seem to upload photos from my phone so have used a link from eBay. The wing is different to yours. More retro… circa 1970’s.
 
Ah, I see. Yes. It looks like the inlay is all red.

I don’t think it’s OEM. Perhaps the tank was resprayed sometime?
 
Thread starter

Try again…
See photo…

The emblem appears to be seated into a circular impression on the tank; as though this is pre pressed.
 
I like it.

reminds me of my Honda mechanics hat

0968dca20e7a893058c9df04c273fce9.jpg
 
Very interesting, I have never seen an RS with this badge, can't say I'm a fan of the small badge though, I prefer the letters H O N D A, or wings as big as they can be

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
I quite like it. Certainly a different thinking… as it’s a nod towards the 60’s emblems instead of the 70’s derived H O N D A which presumably was a marketing strategy to achieve better recognition at the time.
 
I couldn't testify to that as my parents were barely children in the 60s, I was an abstract thought lol Also where I grew up only "big bikes" were Moto Guzzi, MZ, and JAWA. It was only when I came to the city to study that I got introduced to Japanese bikes, and by the time I caught the two-wheel bug, all of them - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki - had names written out. So the wings are a new thing for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
tod.branko_imp said:
I couldn't testify to that as my parents were barely children in the 60s, I was an abstract thought lol Also where I grew up only "big bikes" were Moto Guzzi, MZ, and JAWA. It was only when I came to the city to study that I got introduced to Japanese bikes, and by the time I caught the two-wheel bug, all of them - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki - had names written out. So the wings are a new thing for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Which MZ and Jawa cc did you meet with?
 
peterbaron_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I couldn't testify to that as my parents were barely children in the 60s, I was an abstract thought lol Also where I grew up only "big bikes" were Moto Guzzi, MZ, and JAWA. It was only when I came to the city to study that I got introduced to Japanese bikes, and by the time I caught the two-wheel bug, all of them - Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki - had names written out. So the wings are a new thing for me

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Which MZ and Jawa cc did you meet with?
Which MZ and Jawa cc did you meet with? They were small capacity as I recall 250-350, not what I'd call a big bike today, but still, the other bikes we'd have around were small mopeds and Vespas, so when a full size framed 2-stroke buzzes by, me a kid just runs behind and tries to breathe in the exhaust smell lol
I'd have to try and google out the exact models, I really don't have an idea

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Those are the new badges as seen on the Super Cub, monkey, Trail 125, and possibly others.




Same, same, but different.
 
Right you are. Hmmm...Monkey, Super Cub and Trail 125 are so iconic, the Honda name is not needed. Not so our CB1100, I guess.
 
Some of these are on E-Bay. Some go right over the original logo with a sticky tape. Cool little mods to play with.
 
Back
Top