strange start

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
My '17 just sat a week without riding it for maybe the first time since I bought it in Feb of this year ('18). Temps have been low '40s to 50 degrees. I was missing the sound of it after getting home from work and tried to start it...seemed to "crank" or "spin" strong, but just wouldn't fire up. Tried about 5-6 times, nearly started a few times, but nope. Tried starting with throttle wide open...would not start. Waited 5 minutes. Tried again, same thing first time, no start. Tried another time with throttle 1/4 open and it fired right up. Started 5 more times after that just fine. Three hours later, starts right up every time.

Has at least half a tank of gas. Did the fuel settle somewhere and it was starved?

Till now, it's always started cold/warm engine with no help from throttle.
 
with full throttle it can starve or drown with the modern injection technique (sensors)....I read (short littel bit by google) briefly about injection .... it is a complex topic.....and about spark plugs i know not that much like soot deposition or what ever
 
Houtman_imp said:
I never even touch the throttle when starting my bikes and always starts first time, even after not using it for 4 weeks.
Right on , FI system
:)
 
Very odd. This may be the first time we heard of this happening.
My CB often sits for a week or more and fires instantly.
In fact, it's the quickest starting bike I've ever ridden.
Anyway, glad it righted itself :thumbsup:
 
This is really odd, pdedse. The fuel pump should have pressurized the injectors when you turned the key. If for any reason there wasn't enough pressure, the pump should have kept running. Even if you somehow had air in the fuel line, that should have been purged pretty quickly (I've run mine dry before). Clogged injectors would seem pretty unlikely as this is the first time you've gone a week without riding.

At this point I think all you can do is keep watching it and see if any more clues turn up.
 
Generally speaking, if FI system is healthy( no injector leak and fuel pump check valve OK ++), FI system will maintain relatively constant pressure after ignition off....... and as Flynrider said, if something went odd, FI system will be instantly pressurized upon turning on ignition
:)
 
Thread starter
Ben70_imp said:
Pay no attention to your significant other for a week and see what happens ;)

Ben
True; Oregon rain has dampened my desire to ride the CB1100. I have a 5 mile commute to work and most days I ride my KLR650 because it's an '07 that I've owned over 10 years, been dropped enough to the point where I don't care that I have to leave it in the rain while at work--but I do still cover it.

Maybe the CB acted up out of jealousy?
peterbaron_imp said:
Generally speaking, if FI system is healthy( no injector leak and fuel pump check valve OK ++), FI system will maintain relatively constant pressure after ignition off....... and as Flynrider said, if something went odd, FI system will be instantly pressurized upon turning on ignition
:)
Today...started right up with no throttle, just like normal. Strange.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Ben70_imp said:
Pay no attention to your significant other for a week and see what happens ;)

Ben
True; Oregon rain has dampened my desire to ride the CB1100. I have a 5 mile commute to work and most days I ride my KLR650 because it's an '07 that I've owned over 10 years, been dropped enough to the point where I don't care that I have to leave it in the rain while at work--but I do still cover it.

Maybe the CB acted up out of jealousy?
peterbaron_imp said:
Generally speaking, if FI system is healthy( no injector leak and fuel pump check valve OK ++), FI system will maintain relatively constant pressure after ignition off....... and as Flynrider said, if something went odd, FI system will be instantly pressurized upon turning on ignition
:)
Today...started right up with no throttle, just like normal. Strange.
True; Oregon rain has dampened my desire to ride the CB1100. I have a 5 mile commute to work and most days I ride my KLR650 because it's an '07 that I've owned over 10 years, been dropped enough to the point where I don't care that I have to leave it in the rain while at work--but I do still cover it.

Maybe the CB acted up out of jealousy?
..:) Pdedse, yes, your CB got po'd for not being ridden enough regardless weather condition :P:D
 
Maybe a temporary fuel "air lock" situation brought on by low pressure and dampness? I have never experienced it on a CB1100 and we get all four seasons of nasty. Never used the throttle on cold start-up either.
 
If my CB1100 has been sitting more than a week without starting I crank the engine with the throttle wide open for a few seconds. My understanding is that this prevents the fuel pump from pumping in order to unload the cylinders in case the engine is flooded. The engine won't start with the throttle wide open.

My theory is that by cranking the engine without starting it the oil pump pumps some oil to lubricate the pistons and valves. Releasing the throttle and cranking the engine starts it right up. My hope is that by doing this I am reducing wear on startup by insuring the engine parts have a nice coat of oil when starting after having been sitting for a long time. Maybe this is a pipe dream. Hopefully it causes no harm.
 
Yeah, most 21st century engines, in particular performance-like engines, have the engineering of lubrication all ironed out supposedly under all riding/driving conditions. My experience has been for the CB1100 that it starts and behaves the same whether the environment temperature is -25C or +45C. I just press the starter and let the engine controller do the rest. I could not say that for any of my '70 or '80s bikes where I had to fandango air/fuel supply, especially near freezing temperatures and lower.

There is no more "rocket science" in these routine engines. There are, however, cost cutting and performances enhancing tweaks. Example: Many new cars use ceramic cylinder "liners" now in which it is a spray-on application. In this case, there is no steel liner.
 
Houtman_imp said:
You probably worry too much about wear on the engine parts.
Probably true, although I always heard the majority of engine wear occurs at startup. The Castrol Actevo motorcycle oil I use makes a big deal about saying how it contains "Active Protection Molecules cling to the surfaces of your engine giving an active and continuous layer of protection as well as an ultimate shield against cold starts." Reducing wear on Cold starts seems to be important to them.
 
Using advance lubricant seems to be a rider/driver (in the case of cars) consensus. Keep in mind manufacturers like Honda engineering worry about start-up starvation from a design point-of-view and without any consideration for special lubricants. They have to ensure the design meets their specification with standard oils first. So as long as you maintain the machine as recommended by Honda (in this case), you should be fine. If you ride hard, consider the extra insurance suggested advance lubricants can provide.
 
Make the long story short: I do not care about any special (if) molecules in automotive oil..as claimed..
I always use recommended, as per manual (viscosity may change due to different climate) oil, cars/bike.
In Canada, as severe climate country, I use 100% synthetic for: both cars in winter only, and CB year round/due to extended long distance rides (hot). Synthetic provides better engine protection across the board.
Synthetic oil has immediate flow even in clod temperature...but how cold is your bike when you first started, 0*C/32F, or warmer???
The bottom line: don't go below manufacture recommendations, and you'll be fine for sure....worry less, ride more :)
AMEN
 
I used to use synthetic almost religiously in vehicles, but the winter climate and road salt took heavy toll on all other aspects other than the engine. Those vehicles were typically traded away. So I stopped a long time ago and my engines haven't appeared to suffer noticeably more (e.g. not burning oil, no fast oil contamination, etc.). I still believe synthetic is useful, especially in the north (for our American members I suppose that means "far north"). I am still on the fence regarding clutch performance gain since I don't drag the CB, but I have used synth on the CB.

I have started and operated the CB many times at -10C and lower on GN4 oil. Always prepared for some unruly monster sounds that do not appear each time. The beast comes nicely alive each time (87 octane fuel too). To be honest, I never expected the CB to be this consistent.
 
Why, when Honda recommends GN4 and 87 octane fuel, would you worry about using it?
 
Back
Top