Strange Issue with Key

There was a great one a few years back at Le Castellet in France for the Bol d'Or. This gang had organized a huge tractor trailer, and were offering safe bike parking. So people would wheel up their bikes in the truck, and pay a fee to park it. When the truck was full, they simply closed up and pulled out!

I don't think it was attempted a second time...
 
Thread starter
Henrik_imp said:
Were I live it is so common it is usually the first thing I check. Geneva, Switzerland, is just next to the French border, and we get these crews with a mini van that come from Lyon in France. Often they just stop behind a bike, a couple of guys get out, lift up the bike and put it in the back. Within five minutes they are gone over the border. I had a 6 month old VFR800 stolen that way at 5PM in the city center in front of my office. Luckily we have good insurance...
A painfully obvious omission from the Geneva Convention. It's overdue for a re-write.

Lots of bikes get stolen in San Diego. In fact, my ZX6R was taken by someone who was able to cut through a heavy duty chain. I imagine it was thrown into a waiting van or truck. With our proximity to Mexico, most end up going south, never to be seen again. From what I've read, HD's and super sports are the preferred bikes. Then again, who can resist the new CB?
Henrik_imp said:
There was a great one a few years back at Le Castellet in France for the Bol d'Or. This gang had organized a huge tractor trailer, and were offering safe bike parking. So people would wheel up their bikes in the truck, and pay a fee to park it. When the truck was full, they simply closed up and pulled out!

I don't think it was attempted a second time...
I laugh only because my bike wasn't one of them! Brilliant and horrible at the same time. I can imagine the police report: "Yes, officer...I drove my motorcycle into their truck and parked it. No, I didn't know who they were. They told me it was safe parking. No, I don't want to buy ocean front property in Oklahoma. Well...how much land are we talking about?"
 
Both of my keys are slightly bent, probably from the seat latch. Fiddly to get in and out of the cylinder now. Pain in the butt, really, and Honda simply needs to upgrade the key/latch/ cylinder.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Me too. Bent the key in the usual seat lock fiasco, straightened it by hammer (as carefully as possible or else I was facing a day or two in downtown Kyogle) so that it worked. Workable but not smooth so I now use the other (spare) key and use the first as backup. And, yes, as others have remarked, the steering lock pressure needs to be removed before unlocking and turning the ignition on. A squirt of lubricant down the keyhole also is beneficial.

Cheers
Be sure to use a dry lubricant such as graphite powder or else you risk gumming up the tumbler mechanism with grit that sticks to wet lubricant (such as WD40).

To the OP: Never had that problem. Never had any problem whatsoever with my ignition/ignition key. I always lock my steering stem, even when in my garage. My key simply won't go in the cylinder if it is anything but straight. My other Honda is the same way, so I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to re-insert the key. Once the key is in, it turns easily, locked or not. I've been using the same key since day 1.
 
Mostly, I rock up to the bike, stick the key in and away I go. Sometimes, though, it just doesn't want to go in properly. I have no idea why and I can't seem to replicate it. Out of curiosity, and because I had to go to a locksmith anyway, I asked whether he could cut a bike key for me. He looked at it and said he could but that I'd have to get the blank from Honda. I've no idea about the USA but in Australia the blanks are about AUD$45 because of the HISS trickery inside.
 
No HISS here. I had 2 keys cut for my 13 for $4.50 each from MR Lock locksmith. Had the key blanks in stock. Been meaning to have keys made for 14, just keep forgetting.
 
I'd be tempted to do the same if I could, if only to see whether holding the HISS key head adjacent to the ignition would allow you to start the bike.
 
I went to Honda this past spring and was surprised to see they had a key blank for my '78 CB400 so I bought it. Ten bucks and change! Ouch! It's a really really tiny, short key. Very plain. Then I had to bring it to the locksmith to get cut and he did a fine job. I'm sure a new key blank for our CBs would be at least that much $.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
My ignition switch is very picky. I must insert the key exactly straight in, no even slight deviation or it gives me trouble. Exactly straight, and it's like butter, so I feel it's normal.
My key acts exactly the same way - unless you very carefully insert it perfectly and in exactly the correct way it won't go into the lock. I just thought it was the way it was designed and it was just me. Never had another bike act like this though.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
My ignition switch is very picky. I must insert the key exactly straight in, no even slight deviation or it gives me trouble. Exactly straight, and it's like butter, so I feel it's normal.
Dave_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
My ignition switch is very picky. I must insert the key exactly straight in, no even slight deviation or it gives me trouble. Exactly straight, and it's like butter, so I feel it's normal.
My key acts exactly the same way - unless you very carefully insert it perfectly and in exactly the correct way it won't go into the lock. I just thought it was the way it was designed and it was just me. Never had another bike act like this though.
Same here. I associated it with the little trap door that protects the key slot. Sometimes seems to slide out of the way with ease, and sometimes not. As you both say, holding the key "exactly straight" does the trick when it is acting cranky.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Yesterday when I parked my bike, I locked the handlebars for the first time - bars to full left, push in key, turn to the left, remove. Worked as expected. When I went to unlock, the key had trouble going in. Then it wouldn't turn. Then I got a lot of resistance pulling the key out. I tried four or five times and each time, it wouldn't turn. The top of the ignition slot spun 180 degrees with just the tip of the key inside. I turned it back and put the key in all the way. Again, no go. After fiddling with it for a minute, I finally got it to unlock and start the bike. Everything else seemed fine. Before using the lock, the key would go in and turn as expected. Any ideas what that's all about?

Today, I tried the "spare" key and it seems to be working fine. The key I was initially using continues to give me problems. Really weird. I hope there's nothing inside the mechanism that's chewing up the keys. I'll ride with this key for a while and see if the problem persists. Stay tuned ...
I find that when I insert the key in the ignition to either start the engine, lock, unlock in a public location I tend to not get it right when not "concentrating on what I'm doing. It could be tension in anticipating the ride ahead, or that I'm 64 and my hands/finger combination are just not what they used to be. no
 
I've had the primary key damaged from trying to unlock the steering, it froze up in the lock and I managed to get it out by wiggling it. The backup key must go in at the same side up and straight or it will not insert. I thought it was just me until I read this thread. It's a bit unnerving to be worried constantly about the key working.
 
Dang, mine as always worked really well. I lock the steering head every time I stop. They key doesn't glide in, but it's no more difficult than any other bike. On my TW I had key trouble and I bought a can of graphite lube, shoved the straw in to the opening and gave it two shots. Worked the key in and out and did it again. After that, it was always smooth. Try that. If you can't get graphite lube, any DRY lubricant should work. Don't go shooting WD40 or the like.
 
My key did the same thing. Wouldnt turn. I held up the crew behind me as I was leading lol.. I got it after a long 45 seconds, not too big a deal. I might try the buff idea too. I got a wire wheel at home on a bench grinder.
 
Back
Top