Strange Issue with Key

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yesterday when I parked my bike, I locked the handlebars for the first time - bars to full left, push in key, turn to the left, remove. Worked as expected. When I went to unlock, the key had trouble going in. Then it wouldn't turn. Then I got a lot of resistance pulling the key out. I tried four or five times and each time, it wouldn't turn. The top of the ignition slot spun 180 degrees with just the tip of the key inside. I turned it back and put the key in all the way. Again, no go. After fiddling with it for a minute, I finally got it to unlock and start the bike. Everything else seemed fine. Before using the lock, the key would go in and turn as expected. Any ideas what that's all about?

Today, I tried the "spare" key and it seems to be working fine. The key I was initially using continues to give me problems. Really weird. I hope there's nothing inside the mechanism that's chewing up the keys. I'll ride with this key for a while and see if the problem persists. Stay tuned ...
 
I wonder if you ran into it accidentally when you had the key in the helmet/seat lock and bent the key slightly?
 
Sometimes my key seems finicky and does not want to turn, I usually just wiggle it around until it comes out, have not studied why, but will keep an eye on it for next time.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I wonder if you ran into it accidentally when you had the key in the helmet/seat lock and bent the key slightly?
I guess that's possible. I don't remember bumping it while it was in my seat lock but I could have. It looks perfectly straight from all angles. So much so that I think it's doubtful such a slight bend, if it exists, would cause it to act like this.
HikerToo_imp said:
Sometimes my key seems finicky and does not want to turn, I usually just wiggle it around until it comes out, have not studied why, but will keep an eye on it for next time.
Hmmm ... we might be on to something here. I hope not. But it seems like it could be a design flaw. It'll be interesting to see how many others are experiencing something similar.
 
My ignition switch is very picky. I must insert the key exactly straight in, no even slight deviation or it gives me trouble. Exactly straight, and it's like butter, so I feel it's normal.
 
Thread starter
ClassicVW_imp said:
My ignition switch is very picky. I must insert the key exactly straight in, no even slight deviation or it gives me trouble. Exactly straight, and it's like butter, so I feel it's normal.
Normal in the sense that everyone has the same design flaw? I understand that some might get very defensive at the suggestion that the bike might have an issue (not saying you ClassicVW) but you shouldn't have to be concerned with inserting your key at a precise angle in order to get it to work properly. None of my other bikes have had this issue. The mystery deepens ...
Just found this thread: New key won't work in ignition

Seems like something I'll have to put up with unless and until Honda decides to do a recall to replace the ignition mechanism. I suppose if enough people let Honda know that they're having issues with the key working, it might spur them into action. Probably not. But maybe. Going to baby my one working key!

I hope I get one of those surveys that people on here have been getting in the mail. Even if I don't, I'll find a way to let them know how much I love the bike but tell them about the key issue.
 
You're right, m.g., I agree with you. I probably have owned 20 bikes over the years, and not a one did it matter just how precise I inserted the key.
 
The only time I had a key problem was when I bent the key,mwhile was mentioned before. Spinning the slot with the tip of the key is normal, but it should click back into place noticeably. This happens on every Honda ignition I've tried it on. It is not related to your problem with your switch.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
The only time I had a key problem was when I bent the key,mwhile was mentioned before. Spinning the slot with the tip of the key is normal, but it should click back into place noticeably. This happens on every Honda ignition I've tried it on. It is not related to your problem with your switch.
Good to know. Thanks! I'm going to try it on my VFR out of curiosity (the slot spinning). It does seem to pop right back into place on the CB.
Stealth128_imp said:
I had the same key issue stopped by the lock smith had him buff it smooth as butter.
Did you just explain the issue you were having and they knew what to do? What do you mean by having it buffed? I don't see any rough edges but I imagine there could be some really small ones. Taking my key to a lock smith is something I'll definitely do if that will solve the problem. Thanks a lot!
 
Yes the locksmith knew what to do he has a buffing wheel that removed the small sharp edges from when Honda cut it actually he has a Honda Silverwing with the same issue. Hope this helps.
 
Thread starter
Stealth128_imp said:
Yes the locksmith knew what to do he has a buffing wheel that removed the small sharp edges from when Honda cut it actually he has a Honda Silverwing with the same issue. Hope this helps.
Thanks brother. I'll let you (and everyone) know if this does the trick!
 
Mine will do this when you lock the steering as well. I've found that all I need to do is push the bars a slight bit to the left as i turn the key -- just to relieve the small amount of tension on handlebar-key lock mechanism. On all my cars, if there is side-to-side pressure on the front tires when parked with the wheel lock on, I have to do the same with the steering wheel. Always thought it was the normal.
 
Me too. Bent the key in the usual seat lock fiasco, straightened it by hammer (as carefully as possible or else I was facing a day or two in downtown Kyogle) so that it worked. Workable but not smooth so I now use the other (spare) key and use the first as backup. And, yes, as others have remarked, the steering lock pressure needs to be removed before unlocking and turning the ignition on. A squirt of lubricant down the keyhole also is beneficial.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
Mine will do this when you lock the steering as well. I've found that all I need to do is push the bars a slight bit to the left as i turn the key -- just to relieve the small amount of tension on handlebar-key lock mechanism. On all my cars, if there is side-to-side pressure on the front tires when parked with the wheel lock on, I have to do the same with the steering wheel. Always thought it was the normal.
I get what you're saying but my issue is somewhat different. It didn't happen until after I had used the lock. Ever since then, with the handlebars unlocked, the wheel straight, the key struggles to go in, doesn't want to turn at all and is a bear to get back out. I have to put it in, wiggle it around, pull it out some where it resists as if it's actually stuck in the ignition, then I can turn it. Half of the time. My other key, seems to be working fine. I'm going to try the locksmith route and cross my fingers that it's more of a key issue than an ignition mechanism issue.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Yesterday when I parked my bike, I locked the handlebars for the first time - bars to full left, push in key, turn to the left, remove. Worked as expected. When I went to unlock, the key had trouble going in. Then it wouldn't turn. Then I got a lot of resistance pulling the key out. I tried four or five times and each time, it wouldn't turn. The top of the ignition slot spun 180 degrees with just the tip of the key inside. I turned it back and put the key in all the way. Again, no go. After fiddling with it for a minute, I finally got it to unlock and start the bike. Everything else seemed fine. Before using the lock, the key would go in and turn as expected. Any ideas what that's all about?

Today, I tried the "spare" key and it seems to be working fine. The key I was initially using continues to give me problems. Really weird. I hope there's nothing inside the mechanism that's chewing up the keys. I'll ride with this key for a while and see if the problem persists. Stay tuned ...
i noticed the ignition slot on my cb keyhole does the same thing
 
Could somebody have tampered with the lock while you were away? I know i have had issues twice already with possible attempted theft, and the key cylinder then having problems.
 
Thread starter
Henrik_imp said:
Could somebody have tampered with the lock while you were away? I know i have had issues twice already with possible attempted theft, and the key cylinder then having problems.
Wow, I didn't even consider that. I guess that's a possibility. Although it doesn't explain why one key works fine and the other doesn't. I was parked in a rather conspicuous space where someone messing with the bike would have been obvious. Then again, most people would probably figure whoever was messing with it, owned it. I don't think that's it but you got me thinking.
 
Were I live it is so common it is usually the first thing I check. Geneva, Switzerland, is just next to the French border, and we get these crews with a mini van that come from Lyon in France. Often they just stop behind a bike, a couple of guys get out, lift up the bike and put it in the back. Within five minutes they are gone over the border. I had a 6 month old VFR800 stolen that way at 5PM in the city center in front of my office. Luckily we have good insurance...
 
If you have another good key, go to a quality locksmith and have him make you one or two.

On my ride home when I bought my CB, there were two of the nice factory keys on the key ring, one being in the ignition of course. When I arrived home, the other key was gone from the ring! If it didn't happen to me I wouldn't have believed it was possible. So I went to the locksmith and he made me a key. It went in allright, but I had to convince it to turn the ignition. I went back and he said to ride the bike over. I did and he made another key and tried it and went back and used the buffing wheel a couple of times. Only then did it work smoothly, but like I said, I need to put it in exactly straight. I'm convinced that is the lock's issue, not the key's.
Henrik_imp said:
Were I live it is so common it is usually the first thing I check. Geneva, Switzerland, is just next to the French border, and we get these crews with a mini van that come from Lyon in France. Often they just stop behind a bike, a couple of guys get out, lift up the bike and put it in the back. Within five minutes they are gone over the border. I had a 6 month old VFR800 stolen that way at 5PM in the city center in front of my office. Luckily we have good insurance...
In my police career, every motorcycle theft I responded to (there weren't all that many really) the bike was stolen by 3 guys who pull up in a pickup truck at night and lift it in and are gone in a minute.
 
Back
Top