Straight pipes/open headers

mininsx_imp said:
scout48_imp said:
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
I'm the Jimmy of "Jimmy tune" fame ;) and I agree with you, the stock exhaust is too quiet. Years ago I had a '99 Nighthawk 750 and I put a Vance and Hines exhaust and jet kit in it and loved the sound. It was loud but not obnoxious. I was hoping to duplicate that sound by modifying my stock muffler, and IMO I came close with almost no expense. I haven't touched it since I posted those pictures and the sound clip because for me it's just right the way it is now.
Much thanks for stopping by. That thread you posted in is what got me looking for modded stock exhausts. There I found this:
and drooled over the low end sounds this beastie made. it could use some refining and is louder than needed, but it is beautiful. So deep and savage. Two of my Harley riding buddies who had been ignoring me and my "rice fueled pursuits" while I googled exhausts snapped their heads to the screen and raised an eyebrow when that thing woke up. I have enough caveman in me to love that savage sound and enough IT guy in me to want a Honda. I really wish the guy who posted in the same thread as you with the straight pipe had done a video of his. He has me dying of curiosity.
P.S. The Jimmy Tune has forever made you famous to me. I could see what you were going for and liked how you went about it. A thinker on a budget. You have got to respect that.
[/QUOTE]

A tightwad is more like it! I could have spent upwards of 500 bucks on an aftermarket exhaust but I liked the looks of the stock one, and I thought if I could get it to sound a little louder on the cheap, why not? If I didn't like what I did then I'd get an aftermarket exhaust. Turns out I like what I've got. :clap:
 
scout48_imp said:
grover_imp said:
I don't think I'd ever go so far as to run straight pipes, but I do agree that there is an emotional component to hearing the muscular noise coming from your bike or car. I find the stock CB exhaust is so quiet that it detracts from the experience. There's a full exhaust system made by a Japanese company, called the K-Factory CSR. It eliminates the catalytic converter and has a removable standard baffle, available "race" baffle, and if you were so inclined (to get a noise violation), you could remove the baffle altogether.

There are a couple of owners on here that own that pipe and there are videos you can find of it on youtube.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
Scout, regarding the K Factory exhaust, there was a former CB owner, Silas that posted a series of videos on this thread, though it appears they've now been removed:

K Factory Exhaust Videos!

There are other videos of the exhaust on youtube, though they seem to feature the standard, non-race baffle:


From what I remember, the race baffle sounded similar, but louder and deeper...I thought it sounded pretty great.

Personally, my favorite sounding and looking exhaust for the CB is the 4:4 setup from Pipemasters of Australia:




^ that last one gives me goosebumps...sounds heaps better than any simpleton parallel twin! ;)
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Scout, if you manage to locate a CB1100 Deluxe and decide to change the pipes, I want first dibs on them if they're immaculate. They'll be worth something in about ten years. PM me if you're interested in selling.

BTW, I'm of the camp that hates loud pipes, but this is America. Live and let live.
I will probably not do the deluxe because I don't like red and Honda seems anti color option on this. However, if they do have them irresistibly cheap, you have dibs.
grover_imp said:
scout48_imp said:
grover_imp said:
I don't think I'd ever go so far as to run straight pipes, but I do agree that there is an emotional component to hearing the muscular noise coming from your bike or car. I find the stock CB exhaust is so quiet that it detracts from the experience. There's a full exhaust system made by a Japanese company, called the K-Factory CSR. It eliminates the catalytic converter and has a removable standard baffle, available "race" baffle, and if you were so inclined (to get a noise violation), you could remove the baffle altogether.

There are a couple of owners on here that own that pipe and there are videos you can find of it on youtube.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
Scout, regarding the K Factory exhaust, there was a former CB owner, Silas that posted a series of videos on this thread, though it appears they've now been removed:

K Factory Exhaust Videos!

There are other videos of the exhaust on youtube, though they seem to feature the standard, non-race baffle:


From what I remember, the race baffle sounded similar, but louder and deeper...I thought it sounded pretty great.

Personally, my favorite sounding and looking exhaust for the CB is the 4:4 setup from Pipemasters of Australia:




^ that last one gives me goosebumps...sounds heaps better than any simpleton parallel twin! ;)
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
Scout, regarding the K Factory exhaust, there was a former CB owner, Silas that posted a series of videos on this thread, though it appears they've now been removed:

K Factory Exhaust Videos!

There are other videos of the exhaust on youtube, though they seem to feature the standard, non-race baffle:


From what I remember, the race baffle sounded similar, but louder and deeper...I thought it sounded pretty great.

Personally, my favorite sounding and looking exhaust for the CB is the 4:4 setup from Pipemasters of Australia:




^ that last one gives me goosebumps...sounds heaps better than any simpleton parallel twin! ;)
I very much appreciate the work on finding me those videos. I learned alot about this bike and how open and simpler baffles might sound. I agree that the last video sounds darned good, but I really don't like the look. Of course, I also don't like the DLX because of the color. Bike guys/gals can be fussy I guess. Thanks again!
 
I don't really know what mine sounded like when It was new because I purchased it used and it has a Rs3 muffler. I think thats called a Yoshi.

I probably wouldn't have bought it myself but it came on the bike. I like it although I don't like the "can" look very much.

It has a low rumble but is not an ear killer and does not drum when riding even with a helmet on.

Its baffles cannot be removed or changed so I guess it's good that I like the sound:D

ralph
 
This is my exhaust it was really inexpensive off amazon, Its quite loud but has a nice tone to it as well, Im a big fan of LOUD bikes and it satisfies my desire to make noise. Running open header (which i did for a short time) just didnt sound right. hope you enjoy!

 
I run those Emgo's on my Bonnie. They are great for the price and I like the sound although kinda loud. I have an extra one setting around my building...may have to try it. How was the installation?
 
When I traded my Shadow in for the CB1100, My Yamaha went from being my quiet bike to being my loud bike, without even doing anything to it! :)

So for gits and shiggles i decided to take the muffler off the CB just to see how it sounded. Sounded like arse to me! (like an old Ford Tempo with holey muffler) so I am currently still running the stock muffler, and don't have any current plans to change it. (Maybe in the future, who knows!)
 
Happy with my stock exhaust, but if a Wyvern 4-4 fell in my lap, I'd sure try it on for size. For loud, I remember Fuzzy posted a simple 90 degree turnout he did on the cheap. Not Too Quiet Now
Cat is doing what muffling there is in his setup.
 
mgoodie_imp said:
This is my exhaust it was really inexpensive off amazon, Its quite loud but has a nice tone to it as well, Im a big fan of LOUD bikes and it satisfies my desire to make noise. Running open header (which i did for a short time) just didnt sound right. hope you enjoy!

Hey mgoodie, can I get the link to the specific Emgo you ordered off Amazon?
 
This bike will never sound like a Harley. It's an inline 4! They have a constant output rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at idle not like a v twin rr rr rrr rrrrr rrrr rrrrrr rr rrrrr. If you cut out the catalytic converter that's not gonna change how loud this bike it just give you more emissions and a little HP. If you run it open this bike will be the most annoying constant noise you'll ever hear at idle. I can't stand super loud pipes but I do have a great appreciation for the sputtered sound of a V Twin with semi loud pipes :) The CB will never be that. Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine. But you'll loose performance and engine size. If sound is your priority go with the Bonnie. My bike is running a slip on and plenty loud when you give it gas but not annoying at idle and in California removing your catalytic converter is contributing to the smog problem like all the modded lifted F-150s. There is a reason they have emission restrictions in America. I too owned a shadow with loud pipes and used to ride with Harley guys and I quickly discovered po'ing off everyone with my loud pipes isn't worth it. I got cut off just as much as on my CB, super loud pipes didn't much as far as safety is concerned.
 
I think, like with most things, that moderation is the key. I feel that the CB is much too quiet stock, and an exhaust upgrade is in my near future. However, I think running straight pipes is excessive. I don't see the point of the insanely loud Harleys. They really are just a nuisance.
 
I think straight pipes would suck on the CB would be aweful. Maybe nice at idle, but with the RPM these things turn on the highway it would be brutally annoying and probably unrideable on longer trips. In-line 4s in general are crappy for loud exhausts -- best left to Harley, Ducati V-twins and Honda + Aprilia V4's
 
Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine.


Bonnie's are a parallel twin with a 360 degree crank. That is where the glorious british sound comes from.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine.


Bonnie's are a parallel twin with a 360 degree crank. That is where the glorious british sound comes from.
I mean parallel twin. Same point though a bonnie IMO sounds more like a harley. CB sounds closer to a sport bike with a constant sound at idle.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
I think, like with most things, that moderation is the key. I feel that the CB is much too quiet stock, and an exhaust upgrade is in my near future. However, I think running straight pipes is excessive. I don't see the point of the insanely loud Harleys. They really are just a nuisance.
I completely agree, the guys riding around in straight pipe Harley's think they are so cool but in reality everyone (around my area at least) frowns upon that; bikers and non bikers. But seems like in Arkansas loud pipes are ok, so maybe it's regional.
kmoney_imp said:
I think straight pipes would suck on the CB would be aweful. Maybe nice at idle, but with the RPM these things turn on the highway it would be brutally annoying and probably unrideable on longer trips. In-line 4s in general are crappy for loud exhausts -- best left to Harley, Ducati V-twins and Honda + Aprilia V4's
I'm with you on this kmoney. My Aprilia V4 has an intoxicating exhaust sound. As one magazine editor put it "sounds like the devil clearing his throat." Raspy, loud but not overly, raw and deep and rumbly.

The CB is more like a "puuuuuurrrrrr." Like everything else, it's all subjective at the end of the day.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine.


Bonnie's are a parallel twin with a 360 degree crank. That is where the glorious british sound comes from.
I remember reading somewhere (probably reliable) that there is at least 1 Bonneville that does NOT come with a 360 degree crank (the 'America' ?).
holy666diver_imp said:
This bike will never sound like a Harley. It's an inline 4! They have a constant output rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at idle not like a v twin rr rr rrr rrrrr rrrr rrrrrr rr rrrrr. If you cut out the catalytic converter that's not gonna change how loud this bike it just give you more emissions and a little HP. If you run it open this bike will be the most annoying constant noise you'll ever hear at idle. I can't stand super loud pipes but I do have a great appreciation for the sputtered sound of a V Twin with semi loud pipes :) The CB will never be that. Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine. But you'll loose performance and engine size. If sound is your priority go with the Bonnie. My bike is running a slip on and plenty loud when you give it gas but not annoying at idle and in California removing your catalytic converter is contributing to the smog problem like all the modded lifted F-150s. There is a reason they have emission restrictions in America. I too owned a shadow with loud pipes and used to ride with Harley guys and I quickly discovered po'ing off everyone with my loud pipes isn't worth it. I got cut off just as much as on my CB, super loud pipes didn't much as far as safety is concerned.
The newer Yamaha R1s are an inline-4 with a 'cross-plane' crank that does not fire evenly. They sound so good (to me) that maybe someday I'll try and get one..
 
That's right, the R1' s with crossplane crank (09+ models I believe) has a very unique sounding motor. More "rough" sounding than the traditional inline 4.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine.


Bonnie's are a parallel twin with a 360 degree crank. That is where the glorious british sound comes from.
I remember reading somewhere (probably reliable) that there is at least 1 Bonneville that does NOT come with a 360 degree crank (the 'America' ?).
holy666diver_imp said:
This bike will never sound like a Harley. It's an inline 4! They have a constant output rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at idle not like a v twin rr rr rrr rrrrr rrrr rrrrrr rr rrrrr. If you cut out the catalytic converter that's not gonna change how loud this bike it just give you more emissions and a little HP. If you run it open this bike will be the most annoying constant noise you'll ever hear at idle. I can't stand super loud pipes but I do have a great appreciation for the sputtered sound of a V Twin with semi loud pipes :) The CB will never be that. Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine. But you'll loose performance and engine size. If sound is your priority go with the Bonnie. My bike is running a slip on and plenty loud when you give it gas but not annoying at idle and in California removing your catalytic converter is contributing to the smog problem like all the modded lifted F-150s. There is a reason they have emission restrictions in America. I too owned a shadow with loud pipes and used to ride with Harley guys and I quickly discovered po'ing off everyone with my loud pipes isn't worth it. I got cut off just as much as on my CB, super loud pipes didn't much as far as safety is concerned.
The newer Yamaha R1s are an inline-4 with a 'cross-plane' crank that does not fire evenly. They sound so good (to me) that maybe someday I'll try and get one..
That's correct. The America, the Scrambler and I think the Speedmaster all had 270 degree engines. From what I've read, the new 1200 water cooled engine is also a 270 degree twin.

The exhaust note of a 270 is more like a V-twin. More importantly, that configuration drastically reduces the amount of primary and secondary vibes, since the pistons don't rise and fall together (as in a 360 degree parallel twin). That 1200 engine would have shaken your teeth out at speed if they'd made it a 360.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine.


Bonnie's are a parallel twin with a 360 degree crank. That is where the glorious british sound comes from.
I remember reading somewhere (probably reliable) that there is at least 1 Bonneville that does NOT come with a 360 degree crank (the 'America' ?).
holy666diver_imp said:
This bike will never sound like a Harley. It's an inline 4! They have a constant output rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr at idle not like a v twin rr rr rrr rrrrr rrrr rrrrrr rr rrrrr. If you cut out the catalytic converter that's not gonna change how loud this bike it just give you more emissions and a little HP. If you run it open this bike will be the most annoying constant noise you'll ever hear at idle. I can't stand super loud pipes but I do have a great appreciation for the sputtered sound of a V Twin with semi loud pipes :) The CB will never be that. Bonnies have a similar setup to a Harley being a Vtwin and you can get a louder output from that engine. But you'll loose performance and engine size. If sound is your priority go with the Bonnie. My bike is running a slip on and plenty loud when you give it gas but not annoying at idle and in California removing your catalytic converter is contributing to the smog problem like all the modded lifted F-150s. There is a reason they have emission restrictions in America. I too owned a shadow with loud pipes and used to ride with Harley guys and I quickly discovered po'ing off everyone with my loud pipes isn't worth it. I got cut off just as much as on my CB, super loud pipes didn't much as far as safety is concerned.
The newer Yamaha R1s are an inline-4 with a 'cross-plane' crank that does not fire evenly. They sound so good (to me) that maybe someday I'll try and get one..
That's correct. The America, the Scrambler and I think the Speedmaster all had 270 degree engines. From what I've read, the new 1200 water cooled engine is also a 270 degree twin.

The exhaust note of a 270 is more like a V-twin. More importantly, that configuration drastically reduces the amount of primary and secondary vibes, since the pistons don't rise and fall together (as in a 360 degree parallel twin). That 1200 engine would have shaken your teeth out at speed if they'd made it a 360.
I really like the rich sound of a 360 degree crank twin.. I wonder if they could have made the 1200 engine with a 360 degree crank along with some added counterbalancers ?

The 1200 might have a lot of mass to balance out, but the balancers on my 1540 (? I've forgotten the exact size) Softail work really well at taming the pounding of the 45 degree angle V-Twin..
 
Back
Top