How to change piping color on Corbin Seat?

mvk24_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hey guys, I love the Corbin seat, its gorgeous and comfortable and everything I wanted. (Not even broken in yet) BUT the red piping on my blacked out EX stands out like a sore thumb.

My initial idea is to sell it and purchase the same seat in black from another member here. But seeing there's quite a few people trying to sell seats right now I figured it might be easier to just black out the piping.

I found an old thread on the Ducati forum on the topic. (2 Photos included).

Has anyone tried to paint the piping on other seats in the past? Did it work? Did it last? There was never a follow up on the Ducati forum where I found these photos. He used a Vinyl paint from the auto store. It seems this is popular idea for fancy cars with leather seats and piping as I saw it on the Ferrari forum also. Can't find anyone thats pulled the trigger though.

Thought about taking a sharpie to it but that's feels like a sin and it could go either way looks wise.
71e2a367affb94563820749686004050.jpg
76de48c61fc19d7fef5ae55f611248f0.jpg
aeacb3e8e802ddcfb5604e62c867ed91.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Could you send it back to Corbin to be redone with black piping , to be honest I like the red piping as it goes with my tanks but I can see where you come from and want to go to.
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
Could you send it back to Corbin to be redone with black piping , to be honest I like the red piping as it goes with my tanks but I can see where you come from and want to go to.
Yea the seat itself looks amazing. Its just the random red when I put it on the bike. Personal preference thing

I would imagine it costs more than I'd hope for corbin to do it

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
875601fe0d951a8e4b64936960a4d04f.jpg
41122f289a175841b07cba04929f3cac.jpg
4c3ac3740dbc5e69986f57905e5daf58.jpg
9813d94a9bfda01bcc17c7182c470eca.jpg
 
I know this sounds cheesy but have you thought of using magic marker? It won't make them black but should darken them enough to make them less of a stand out. Anything you use to coat them is going to rub off in spots. Might as well use something that's easy to apply.

Edit: just saw that you did think of it in the first post. I'd still consider testing it at an end spot. Might look better than you think.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I know this sounds cheesy but have you thought of using magic marker? It won't make them black but should darken them enough to make them less of a stand out. Anything you use to coat them is going to rub off in spots. Might as well use something that's easy to apply.

Edit: just saw that you did think of it in the first post. I'd still consider testing it at an end spot. Might look better than you think.
Yea now im thinking it again, I think ill take a shot at it if noone wants the seat. I'll post pics

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
If you want to try selling or swapping the seat, mvk, you might want to stick an ad in the ‘For Sale’ section.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
If you want to try selling or swapping the seat, mvk, you might want to stick an ad in the ‘For Sale’ section.
I just didn't wanna saturated the seat listing for the other guys already trying to sell seats. I think there are 3 up for sale right now

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Is the saddle image below just a bad angle or image rendering? It looks kinda weird, but other image angles is looks quite normal.

 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Is the saddle image below just a bad angle or image rendering? It looks kinda weird, but other image angles is looks quite normal.
Must be rendering

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Most new and used car dealers use mobile repair services that do vinyl seat repair, stain removal, airbrush touch up of paint chips, etc., etc.. I have used such services before, for vinyl seat repair. The benefit of these folks in this instance is that they use airbrushes to apply vinyl dye, for a smooth lap free end result. Cost was very reasonable as I recall, finish was perfect, and I had no problems with it lasting for as long as I owned the car. These services generally are unknown to the public, because their customers are almost exclusively dealers.

If you want to give it a try ask around at dealerships who they use for vinyl repair and dye.
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
Most new and used car dealers use mobile repair services that do vinyl seat repair, stain removal, airbrush touch up of paint chips, etc., etc.. I have used such services before, for vinyl seat repair. The benefit of these folks in this instance is that they use airbrushes to apply vinyl dye, for a smooth lap free end result. Cost was very reasonable as I recall, finish was perfect, and I had no problems with it lasting for as long as I owned the car. These services generally are unknown to the public, because their customers are almost exclusively dealers.

If you want to give it a try ask around at dealerships who they use for vinyl repair and dye.
Thank you for the info! I found a product that will color/restore leather and vinyl.

A few reviews had to do with corbin seats and leather couches and boat seats which I guess are made of vinyl. 25$ on Amazon

I am hitting 1 of my Wilson Leather riding jackets as the leather started bleaching already. It has a reflective piping on it thay I think I am going to hit with the black to see how it works before I go and hit the seat.

I'm thinking it's faster to dye the piping black than to try and sell it. Probably gonna wait a few days to see how the jacket turns out after drying before I do the seat.
8957299c20e72f569c2bbf75a180c2a4.jpg
83dabf7146075ab862c2e70ce5985af3.jpg
a4c1bcb766df95feda36a00218410af4.jpg
12d8de3ec7cc802e568b41f3bb9c16c9.jpg
ed42887af1f94b54279b2f9b2624a175.jpg
a1f494c25213ab2cf8d78ce6d8701246.jpg
db64f0dee347a0ddf3a4b6864f5f6c47.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top