Straight pipes/open headers

scout48_imp said:
Because I like louder bikes and would change factory exhaust you don't want me to even own the same bike as you? Kind of a shocking welcome from a forum mod. Loud pipes (exhaust mods are probably the most common mod to a bike) pale in comparison.

Popgun, thanks, That is one of the threads I read that got me interested in the idea. I may just PM gbpack89 and see if he had any tuning issues afterward since asking tech questions about loud pipes in the tech area brings disdain from forum moderation. Meet the nicest people on a Honda.
The forum members don't take kindly to young whippersnappers who would consider desecrating the glorious stock cb1100. Keep in mind, these new CB' s are made for people who remember owning or dreaming of the older models, and nearly all of the 2500 or so owners in the states seem to be old enough to be original riders. The few hundred forum members are all mainly retired, they have plenty of time to ceaselessly comment on how changing the bikes mechanicals is frowned upon. Frankly, it's not a very welcoming group unless you like black rubber on your brake levers or consider removing tank stickers a 'mod'.

Regarding the bonneville, from my limited understanding, this CB outperforms the bonnies, however the triumphs have tons of aftermarket parts and plenty of friendly forums. But if you want a super sweet ride that is just as rare, then find one of these bikes and live it up!
 
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
 
Good read fiscy, and I completely agree with having your bike dyno tuned after making mods to your exhaust and or air intake to get the most bang for the buck. I am hoping gsynder70 is joking when he states most people on this forum are keeping their bikes completely stock. Most of the posts here are about what mods work or improve the individual appearance of these bikes. That is why I came here, to find information on what works and what doesn't. Not everybody has the same taste. Not to mention we all come in different shapes and sizes.
Also, has anybody tried putting a 4 inch section of inter tube on the inside cone of the stock muffler? That is a cheap mod that will give your bike a bitchin exhaust note.
 
Gsnyder70_imp said:
scout48_imp said:
Because I like louder bikes and would change factory exhaust you don't want me to even own the same bike as you? Kind of a shocking welcome from a forum mod. Loud pipes (exhaust mods are probably the most common mod to a bike) pale in comparison.

Popgun, thanks, That is one of the threads I read that got me interested in the idea. I may just PM gbpack89 and see if he had any tuning issues afterward since asking tech questions about loud pipes in the tech area brings disdain from forum moderation. Meet the nicest people on a Honda.
The forum members don't take kindly to young whippersnappers who would consider desecrating the glorious stock cb1100. Keep in mind, these new CB' s are made for people who remember owning or dreaming of the older models, and nearly all of the 2500 or so owners in the states seem to be old enough to be original riders. The few hundred forum members are all mainly retired, they have plenty of time to ceaselessly comment on how changing the bikes mechanicals is frowned upon. Frankly, it's not a very welcoming group unless you like black rubber on your brake levers or consider removing tank stickers a 'mod'.

Regarding the bonneville, from my limited understanding, this CB outperforms the bonnies, however the triumphs have tons of aftermarket parts and plenty of friendly forums. But if you want a super sweet ride that is just as rare, then find one of these bikes and live it up!
Ok.. So I feel compelled to respond to this post, because I feel it is wrong on nearly every point..
1) Forum members, generally, love that younger riders are attracted to this motorcycle, regardless of said whippersnapper's desire to modify it.
2) Can't comment on the 2500 or so owners in the US or their ages.
3) Of the 550 or so members that answered the "age" poll, only 7% are above the common retirement age of 65. I don't know of any other survey here that asks specifically about retirement status. Those that are retired seem to be too busy riding to comment ceaselessly on anything except how much the love their motorcycle.
4) I do see that some people caution others about making certain mechanical modifications to their bikes, but most of the time, those comments are in response to a question posed by the would-be modifier. Futher, most of the regulars here seem to enjoy seeing what others have done to their bikes even if they think that the changes are unnecessary or unattractive.
5) In June, you thanked everyone for their "warm welcomes". Sorry to hear that you no longer feel that way. I have felt very welcome here and have found the forum very helpful with mechanical information, accessory recommendations, and ride reports. There's a whole section with all types of modifications folks can do, many with step-by-step instruction.
6) RLETs are an irony, but I don't think you get that. Yes, RLETs and removing the tank stickers are relatively silly things, but no more silly than changing the exhaust simply so that it is louder...all three are about asthetics, not performance.
7) Never turn your bike off at a stoplight...Oops wrong rant. :shy:
 
Ok..new day.

First of all I want to apologise to scout for being less than welcoming. Not like me. I am usually one of the first to welcome any new members and have been since the day I joined which was day 1 for the forum. I think this is a very friendly and welcoming forum especially considering the wide and varied age groups this bike seems to attract. People on this forum are respectful, friendly, helpful, funny and very accepting imo. I have been on many internet forums in the last 15 years. This is one of the good ones.

We all have our hot button issues I suppose. Issues where you feel the need to say something. For some it may be ethanol, for others possible over heating, and I guess for me that issue is loud pipes. I actually have 3 hot button issues... Loud pipes, stunting on public highways, and using public highways for a racetrack. Maybe I am getting old. I find all three of those to not only be socially irresponsible, but damaging to motorcycling as a whole. I have a hard time believing anyone would think that doing any of those would be ok. I love motorcycling. One of the reasons I frequent motorcycle forums. Doing anything that threatens motorcycling as a sport raises my dander. Like I said maybe I am getting old.
 
If straight pipes can be considered an unimpeded path from the engine's exhaust port to the end of the pipe, I'm running straight pipes (sort of). My headers are completely open, and if you look through my exhaust pipe you can see a central opening clean through, albeit only an inch in diameter. Somehow the exhaust still muffles the sound. I'm guessing gas expansion forces the exhaust through the mesh pipes that surround the opening.

Ok, I'm going to drink my coffee now and shut up..........
 
Not sure if my question was answered... Does running straight pipes cause performance problems that require other modifications to correct those problems?
 
Some loud pipes I can't stand either....the popping and backfiring upon deceleration is very annoying, my chopper use to do this, I hated it, did the pair valve removal, now it is loud and sweet rolling on and off the throttle, I don't blast it through my neighborhood, but you do hear me coming, they always look up and wave. this is no different then the ups jets that I hear flying over my house getting ready to land. Some of the young kids in my neighborhood will give me the roll the throttle hand signal an I will burp the pipes a little for them, they get a quick smile from it, sometimes they just wave and I wave back. I have other young teenage kids in my neighborhood that have dirt bikes that ride in a woods/field about a quarter of a mile from my house, I can't see them ride, but I can hear them, it is kinda loud, but it doesn't bother me cause I'm thinking how much fun they are having and wish I was physically able to ride with them, they have invited me many times, they don't know how lucky they are to be able to have a place to ride in this area without having to trailer to get somewhere. There are two neighbors that allow them to ride between there houses to get there.
I'm OK with my CB being quiet, however I wish I wasn't cheap and buy a stain tune slip-on, maybe one day, my valkyrie has a sweet but not loud sound of it's own, my enduro is almost as quiet as the CB, again to cheap to buy and fmf pipe with fuel controller. I could go on and on and this is not a rant, please trust me on this. :beerchug: however empty sea I don't appreciate the dips..t comment, rather strong in my opinion....:( Again, ferret I do appreciate who you are and what you contribute here...:thumbsup:
 
Hey scout welcome to the forum. I owned a bonneville (thruxton) with predator pipes and pod filters. It really was a beautiful sounding bike the CB will never sound like that. That 360 degree parallel twin has a very unique soundtrack that is just very satisfying. So if a good sounding motorcycle is your only requisite i'd consider that. That said i have a 2 bros slip on and the bike sounds like an old sportscar revving out
. It's not that loud and nowhere near as pleasant sounding as the bonne but it sure is fun to wind out. The CB is a flat out far better motorcycle than the bonne on all other accounts, and for the first time can be had for around the same price!. I just bought arrow headers for my bike and am waiting on gaskets to install because i'm one of the aforementioned loud and fast guys ! if the bike ends up sounding like this i'd be pretty satisfied
So you have to ask yourself do you want to sound fast or be fast (comparitively). For the latter refer to the Big honda I4.
REMEMBER YOUNG SKYWALKER LOUD PIPES DON"T ALWAYS SOUND GOOD AND GOOD SOUNDING PIPES DON"T HAVE TO BE LOUD.
 
Thread starter
grover_imp said:
I don't think I'd ever go so far as to run straight pipes, but I do agree that there is an emotional component to hearing the muscular noise coming from your bike or car. I find the stock CB exhaust is so quiet that it detracts from the experience. There's a full exhaust system made by a Japanese company, called the K-Factory CSR. It eliminates the catalytic converter and has a removable standard baffle, available "race" baffle, and if you were so inclined (to get a noise violation), you could remove the baffle altogether.

There are a couple of owners on here that own that pipe and there are videos you can find of it on youtube.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have listed to a ton of vids on youtube, but not for the pipes you mention, will check them out. thanks! Are they a bolt on option or is retuning required?
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
It was a nice piece of diplomacy, wasn't it? I love living in Arkansas. The area is very friendly to bikers. Here that mostly means a big CC harley and straights. Fishtails are very popular... We have several festivals and parades because the area loves the tourists and the bikes. Bikes, Blues, and BBQ is one of my favorites. I just bought a cam for riding. I'll see if I cant get a ride in this weekend and post a few stills from the vid.
EmptySea_imp said:
So...there's been a little talk in other threads about performance problems when owners have installed modified exhausts. Most time, most folks say the the stock ecu will compensate or that you may have to bypass th 02 sensor. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have full knowledge of how the exhaust interacts with an effects the fuel mixture, but some one her does, so I'm asking.... Wouldn't going with straight pipes and removing the cat. create more potential for performance problems than an aftermarket system designed for this bike?

Oh.... and make your bike as noisy as you want, Scout. Your noisy bike will not hurt our reputation. It's just one bike. You should know, though, that way more than 50% of the riders I know, and I know a great many riders of all manner of motorcycle, think that straight pipes are irritating. Personally, I don't care for the noise myself and I refuse to ride behind anyone whose bike is that loud. Again, do what you want...but remember that probably 6 of 10 riders you will meet out there will think you're a dips**t.
I am going to go ahead and guess that this is a regional/cultural thing. In my area, way more than the national average of around 40% of bikes are harleys. Probably more like 60-70. A very noticable percentage are straight pipes or hollowed out mufflers. Stock pipes are a huge minority. The remainder have something like vance and hines or screaming eagle aftermarket systems. Few would be considered quiet. Even the non-bikers (cagers) will give you a friendly ribbing over a quiet bike. My shadow riding buddies and I are huge fans of V&H short shots. We are sparsely populated and used to local dirt tracks running all friday night, jacked up trucks, and t-buckets with open headers or burned out glass packs. Volume is not a huge issue here. Complaints of neighbors shooting in their back yards usually stem from not inviting everyone else to come shoot too (or alcohol, which is a real and scary issue). We do roll up the streets and shut off our noise makers when the sun goes down though. I get that where you guys live may be very different. We really do things our own way here. Sometimes that way seems backwards and sometimes it may be wrong. We really don't fret a noisy bike/car or call their owners dipshi*s. If we did, we'd have to do it in front of a mirror. We have or had one too.
 
scout48_imp said:
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
I'm the Jimmy of "Jimmy tune" fame ;) and I agree with you, the stock exhaust is too quiet. Years ago I had a '99 Nighthawk 750 and I put a Vance and Hines exhaust and jet kit in it and loved the sound. It was loud but not obnoxious. I was hoping to duplicate that sound by modifying my stock muffler, and IMO I came close with almost no expense. I haven't touched it since I posted those pictures and the sound clip because for me it's just right the way it is now.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ok..new day.

First of all I want to apologise to scout for being less than welcoming. Not like me. I am usually one of the first to welcome any new members and have been since the day I joined which was day 1 for the forum. I think this is a very friendly and welcoming forum especially considering the wide and varied age groups this bike seems to attract. People on this forum are respectful, friendly, helpful, funny and very accepting imo. I have been on many internet forums in the last 15 years. This is one of the good ones.

We all have our hot button issues I suppose. Issues where you feel the need to say something. For some it may be ethanol, for others possible over heating, and I guess for me that issue is loud pipes. I actually have 3 hot button issues... Loud pipes, stunting on public highways, and using public highways for a racetrack. Maybe I am getting old. I find all three of those to not only be socially irresponsible, but damaging to motorcycling as a whole. I have a hard time believing anyone would think that doing any of those would be ok. I love motorcycling. One of the reasons I frequent motorcycle forums. Doing anything that threatens motorcycling as a sport raises my dander. Like I said maybe I am getting old.
Adult response. Seems like you may have come across shorter than you intended and I took it a little personally. I mod a few different forums for other interests and take mod comments to be representative of the desires of the folks running the forum. I am also kind of stickler on tech vs opinion posts. Ask me how rig a shocker to a seat when the left turn signal comes on and I will tell you how without asking why or if it is safe/moral. Guess it is one of my buttons. This forum seems looser on that. I suppose if I want to play in this sandbox, I wiI posted above about some possible cultural differences on how pipes are perceived. I will add another comment. I live in a very rural area. Trees and fields line the roads. Soft surfaces that kill sound. I have ridden with my group in a city. Buildings and pavement all around. It is amazing how much that changes things.

Anyway, my point is that I am sorry for taking it personally and we are square in my eyes.
mininsx_imp said:
scout48_imp said:
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
I'm the Jimmy of "Jimmy tune" fame ;) and I agree with you, the stock exhaust is too quiet. Years ago I had a '99 Nighthawk 750 and I put a Vance and Hines exhaust and jet kit in it and loved the sound. It was loud but not obnoxious. I was hoping to duplicate that sound by modifying my stock muffler, and IMO I came close with almost no expense. I haven't touched it since I posted those pictures and the sound clip because for me it's just right the way it is now.
Much thanks for stopping by. That thread you posted in is what got me looking for modded stock exhausts. There I found this:
and drooled over the low end sounds this beastie made. it could use some refining and is louder than needed, but it is beautiful. So deep and savage. Two of my Harley riding buddies who had been ignoring me and my "rice fueled pursuits" while I googled exhausts snapped their heads to the screen and raised an eyebrow when that thing woke up. I have enough caveman in me to love that savage sound and enough IT guy in me to want a Honda. I really wish the guy who posted in the same thread as you with the straight pipe had done a video of his. He has me dying of curiosity.
P.S. The Jimmy Tune has forever made you famous to me. I could see what you were going for and liked how you went about it. A thinker on a budget. You have got to respect that.
 
Scout...first of all, The ferret is always short. :rofl:

Second, I failed to mention two things in my post that you just quoted: 1) I have an aftermarket exhaust largely because I found the stock too quiet. I just happen to find that straight pipes are too loud for me ears. and 2) Our big motorcycle trip this past summer was to northwest Arkansas and it certainly is a great place to ride. I wish Tropical Storm Bill had not chased us out of Harrison two days early.

Lastly, I think you will find lots of valuable information here on how to modify your CB1100 and some thoughts from some members why a particular mod won't work or is not a good idea. Frankly, I think this forum welcomes disagreement as long as it is presented in an agreeable manner.

Post some dang photos! :)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Scout...first of all, The ferret is always short. :rofl:

Second, I failed to mention two things in my post that you just quoted: 1) I have an aftermarket exhaust largely because I found the stock too quiet. I just happen to find that straight pipes are too loud for me ears. and 2) Our big motorcycle trip this past summer was to northwest Arkansas and it certainly is a great place to ride. I wish Tropical Storm Bill had not chased us out of Harrison two days early.

Lastly, I think you will find lots of valuable information here on how to modify your CB1100 and some thoughts from some members why a particular mod won't work or is not a good idea. Frankly, I think this forum welcomes disagreement as long as it is presented in an agreeable manner.

Post some dang photos! :)
Harrison?!?! I am sitting at work maybe 28 miles from Harrison. You were firmly in my turf! Small world. Photos incoming! Look for the in the seat time section. They aren't cb1100 photos, so that section felt wrong, they aren't from a ride report, so that seems off too. You'll know the one, your name is in it. ;)
 
scout48_imp said:
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
Get both...easy :thumbsup:
 
Scout, if you manage to locate a CB1100 Deluxe and decide to change the pipes, I want first dibs on them if they're immaculate. They'll be worth something in about ten years. PM me if you're interested in selling.

BTW, I'm of the camp that hates loud pipes, but this is America. Live and let live.
 
You found my video on YouTube. I don't come on the CB forums much since I sold my CB, but I ran a decatted header with an Arrow exhaust. It was decently quiet. I never hurt any feelings with it.

If you decide you want to attempt chopping up a header and muffler, I have a spare of both that are collecting dust. Decatting an OEM muffler is going to be very similar to buying an aftermarket header (except the OEM header is thicker wall tubing, stainless, and very nice in appearance). So you won't be harming much.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like details.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Like my Mammy used to say, if you ain't got nothin nice to say, don't say it. I have a Harley that has aftermkt exhaust and I love the way it sounds, fits the character of the bike perfect, but imo the CB dosn't look good loud, go for the Triumph.
 
I never owned an original CB750, but I've been around a couple. Seems to me that everyone swooned over the Kerker exhaust on those older bikes. They weren't what I'd classify as a quiet exhaust but they certainly weren't obnoxiously loud.

Now, straight pipes may be considered the radical end of the spectrum, and stock the Valium induced quietness at the other end. There is SO MUCH room between the two, though.

Heck, the future plans for my blacked out beauty include a louder exhaust, led lighting, and a fair amount of carbon fiber work. That may not garner me a lot of praise with the purists, but I have great news for them...

I'm doing it to MY bike, not theirs. I wouldn't ask them to pay for it, I won't ask that they go in on the insurance with me. Heck, I wouldn't even ask them to ride it unless they provided copious amounts of whiskey and/or Guinness. Hahaha

I guess my point is, we are all a little worried that Honda will stop producing these bikes and with that we will lose some aftermarket support. The best way to keep the interest alive is through innovation. Honda themselves has realized it and shown it through the newest concepts. Wether or not they actually see the market remains to be seen, but it is innovation and CHANGE none the less.

I know change can be scary, but it's the only constant, and we have to accept it. After all, if we all liked the same things that grandpa liked... we'd be sleeping with grandma!

But what do I know, I'm just an old Marine stuck in Minnesota.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
Back
Top