Straight pipes/open headers

scout48_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
 
I've neither seen pipes as you describe for this bike nor remember any forum members running straight pipes. I know some (you?) might think it's cool to run straight pipes, but in reality, it's not. It's offensive and irritating to most everyone, motorcyclists and non motorcyclists alike. Personally I hope you get the Bonneville.
 
Didn't one guy make a "muffler" out of a straight piece of pipe? Can't remember if he removed the cat though.

I have to agree with Ferret about the noise though. Personally I don't get it and am glad mine is pretty quiet. Ok, a Staintune would be nice :P

Ok, here it is: Gut Factory Muffler Post 38
 
Thread starter
Because I like louder bikes and would change factory exhaust you don't want me to even own the same bike as you? Kind of a shocking welcome from a forum mod. Loud pipes (exhaust mods are probably the most common mod to a bike) pale in comparison.

Popgun, thanks, That is one of the threads I read that got me interested in the idea. I may just PM gbpack89 and see if he had any tuning issues afterward since asking tech questions about loud pipes in the tech area brings disdain from forum moderation. Meet the nicest people on a Honda.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I've neither seen pipes as you describe for this bike nor remember any forum members running straight pipes. I know some (you?) might think it's cool to run straight pipes, but in reality, it's not. It's offensive and irritating to most everyone, motorcyclists and non motorcyclists alike. Personally I hope you get the Bonneville.
Thank you, Mr. Ferret! :clap:

This little town I live in has a big State University...with all that entails. We have the bro-dozers with their drivers "rolling coal" - and what a nightmare it is to be caught behind one when he's thrown his switch. Then we have the little imported cars with their fart-can mufflers...you can hear them, day or night. It's not pleasant nor is it surprising. It's NOISE - as annoying as a leaf-blower but less necessary

Down the street from me is the Harley agency. As the Interstate goes right by, and as we have some great riding roads and a national park, AND are on the way from Seattle to Sturgis...we have that to deal with. A little more mellow than the fart-can minicompact cars; but just as predictable and just as unnecessary.

You've heard one un-muffled engine...you've heard them all. And after a VERY short time, you don't want to hear ANY of them.

And that's where I'm at - I, and many riders of the CB1100. Probably because we're older. Possibly because we have perspective. Noise doesn't equate to manhood - lots of small women ride open-pipe Harleys. Noise DOES, IMHO, equate to...other issues. I'll leave them unsaid in the interest of decorum.

Motorcycling has had an image problem for nearly 50 years; and the television shows on the Hell's Angels isn't improving it. It's up to us to demonstrate that owning a fast, slick, powerful motorcycle...does NOT translate to irresponsibility or antisocial behavior. And the first part of is, to not blast everyone along your route out of their shoes like a backwoods rube who lost the muffler on his stake truck.

:thanks: -- Rant over.
 
Scout, I am a motorcyclist first, a CB1100 owner second, a forum member third, and a moderator fourth

As a motorcyclist, I hate what loud pipes do for the image of motorcycling. I hear how it irritates and disgusts non motorcycling friends and acquaitances. Heck, it irritates and disgusts me and I am a motorcyclist. I see how it effects future legislation against all motorcyclists. Noise for the sake of noise is childish, like a laying on the floor kicking feet screaming fit saying LOOK AT ME, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

As a CB owner I would hate to see that done to one of these wonderful motorcycles, so yes! I would rather see you on another motorcycle brand.

As a forum member I am entitled to have an opinion and express it, as long as a do it with respect and without name calling or foul language. There very well may be other forum members who agree with what you want to do, and they are free to express that here as well.

Finally, and a forum moderator I didn't block, delete or alter your post in any way, but let it stand on it's own merit. Just because I didn't agree with it, as a moderator it is not my call to keep others from seeing it, so in fact you were not moderated at all.

There is a difference between someone adding a slip on muffler with a baffle, so one can hear his own motorcycle noise and running straight pipes or open headers so that everyone within blocks can hear your motorcycle noise.
 
I don't think I'd ever go so far as to run straight pipes, but I do agree that there is an emotional component to hearing the muscular noise coming from your bike or car. I find the stock CB exhaust is so quiet that it detracts from the experience. There's a full exhaust system made by a Japanese company, called the K-Factory CSR. It eliminates the catalytic converter and has a removable standard baffle, available "race" baffle, and if you were so inclined (to get a noise violation), you could remove the baffle altogether.

There are a couple of owners on here that own that pipe and there are videos you can find of it on youtube.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
Scout, I am a motorcyclist first, a CB1100 owner second, a forum member third, and a moderator fourth

As a motorcyclist, I hate what loud pipes do for the image of motorcycling. I hear how it irritates and disgusts non motorcycling friends and acquaitances. Heck, it irritates and disgusts me and I am a motorcyclist. I see how it effects future legislation against all motorcyclists. Noise for the sake of noise is childish, like a laying on the floor kicking feet screaming fit saying LOOK AT ME, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

As a CB owner I would hate to see that done to one of these wonderful motorcycles, so yes! I would rather see you on another motorcycle brand.

As a forum member I am entitled to have an opinion and express it, as long as a do it with respect and without name calling or foul language. There very well may be other forum members who agree with what you want to do, and they are free to express that here as well.

Finally, and a forum moderator I didn't block, delete or alter your post in any way, but let it stand on it's own merit. Just because I didn't agree with it, as a moderator it is not my call to keep others from seeing it, so in fact you were not moderated at all.

There is a difference between someone adding a slip on muffler with a baffle, so one can hear his own motorcycle noise and running straight pipes or open headers so that everyone within blocks can hear your motorcycle noise.
Thanks, Ferret, for not chiding the man who wants to make the CB1100 noisier, but for articulating so very thoroughly why there are those of us who detest the noise in the first place. I completely applaud your explanation along the four levels of thinking!

This bike demonstrates so convincingly that a fast, good looking, high-tech bike does not also have to be LOUD in order to be properly retro! While there are brief moments when I do wish my Dlx were slightly louder so that nearby car drivers would be more likely to take notice of my proximity to them, I otherwise absolutely loathe the blatant blare of insufficiently muffled motorcycles. It is this very insistence on being loud by a few motorcyclists that creates and perpetuates the stereotype of the obnoxious motorcyclist for the rest of us to have to overcome!

All that said, your original closing comment still bears repeating. The Bonneville might be a more satisfying choice for someone who insists on making a real racket. :-/
fritz
 
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
 
my $0.02.. I knew someone way back when that had straight pipes on his SOHC CB750 chopper. A little loud for my tastes but for him that was part of 'what it was all about'. So far, every bike that I've owned has retained their stock exhausts so over the decades they've gotten progressively quieter on the road.

One thing that I have noticed. Here where traffic is so congested and lane splitting is common and accepted, I HAVE noticed that when people are coming up from behind with louder than stock exhausts.. the car drivers *that care* move over to give them room to pass more safely. They do that because they can hear them coming.. I think in some cases 'loud pipes save lives' is probably true.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Scout, I am a motorcyclist first, a CB1100 owner second, a forum member third, and a moderator fourth

As a motorcyclist, I hate what loud pipes do for the image of motorcycling. I hear how it irritates and disgusts non motorcycling friends and acquaitances. Heck, it irritates and disgusts me and I am a motorcyclist. I see how it effects future legislation against all motorcyclists. Noise for the sake of noise is childish, like a laying on the floor kicking feet screaming fit saying LOOK AT ME, PAY ATTENTION TO ME!

As a CB owner I would hate to see that done to one of these wonderful motorcycles, so yes! I would rather see you on another motorcycle brand.

As a forum member I am entitled to have an opinion and express it, as long as a do it with respect and without name calling or foul language. There very well may be other forum members who agree with what you want to do, and they are free to express that here as well.

Finally, and a forum moderator I didn't block, delete or alter your post in any way, but let it stand on it's own merit. Just because I didn't agree with it, as a moderator it is not my call to keep others from seeing it, so in fact you were not moderated at all.

There is a difference between someone adding a slip on muffler with a baffle, so one can hear his own motorcycle noise and running straight pipes or open headers so that everyone within blocks can hear your motorcycle noise.
Seems to me that you close any thread you choose just because in your opinion it was discussed enough for your liking..case in point my thread on ethanol vs your engine. Ethanol vs. Your Engine That thread had over 6000 views so why would anyone want to close that thread when apparently there was so much interest in the subject. Now you may call that "moderating" but I call it censoring...just saying isnt that what a forum is for,to share opinions,ideas,etc with memebers as long as its done without offending someone...that is all!!..carry on
 
activedirt_imp said:
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
Hey scout, just rock one of these on your helmet for when you bump into another CB owner:


Hahahaha!

Don't sweat it too much. Build what you like, the way you like it. Just know that the typical jockeys on these noble Honda steel steeds are a bit long in the tooth. They don't share the same idea of "tuning" that you do. They're good guys full of great tips and tricks. They're just not "loud and fast".

They are quick and refined. There's a difference.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and however you decide to modify it to suit your taste.

Ride safe. ATGATT. Rubber side down.


Sent from an undisclosed location
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!

BTW: Welcome Scout since you live in the "Natural State", post some pictures, dude of the land around ya.
Well done USMC, I am impressed with your diplomacy. Are you are tactfal-jar-head; confusing!
DAC_imp said:
Good post, Whiskey.

Loud lives save pipes! Uhh... Wait... wut?
Easy guys. Don't give me too much credit. If my head gets any bigger my helmet won't fit!

Hahaha

Sent from an undisclosed location
 
I do enjoy my CB quiet, but my chopper on the other hand has cobra swepts with the baffles taken out and the pair valves removed to eliminate the popping and gurgling on deceleration and sounds loud and awesome and it's fits the bike, I just don't start it up in my HOA neighborhood at 6:00am, and no it's not a harley, it's a Honda done up right. thumbs up....smily
 
Fiscy, not speaking for Ferret, but it was pretty obvious, and stated IIRC, that the thread had just turned into an argument and neither side was going to change their mind regardless of facts or lack thereof. Political and religious threads and members fighting WILL be moderated.

This is to be expected IMO. After all, Guth has stated that this is a CB 1100 forum and we are supposed to stay pretty much on topic.

Very few threads have been moderated since the board came online and Ferret has never abused his power. I do know that HE has been abused on occasion via PM. That is uncalled for as far as I'm concerned.

Edit to add. Disclaimer. Ferret moderated one or two of my posts over the years. Justified each time. And I agreed after I thought about it for a while. Didn't pm anybody about it, just moved on :)
 
From a technical stand point, I think you need some sort of back pressure for a computer controlled vehicle to run properly. Feel free o correct me if I am wrong. From a sound stand point, I love the sound of a big V twin with open exhaust. Am not crazy about the sound of inline 4's with open exhaust. Honda Civics is a good exsample. But everyones entitled to their own opinion.
Pease out...
 
Carguy, Google Helmholtz resonator and how they are used in exhaust design. Interesting reading and is one reason I always wonder about changing exhausts without dyno runs. And not butt dyno runs :)
 
Scout48....ferret is a great moderator and friend to all of us here for this bike and forum, can't imagine having anybody else and wouldn't want anybody else. :thumbsup: He has his right to his opinion, however ferret you did come across rather strongly with somebody new, :huh: epecially without a emoticon of some sort, :beerchug: if I may stick my neck out and say so with much respect to you. :) :biker:
 
scout48_imp said:
Hi all. I am about a month away from a new bike and it will either be a CB1100 or a Bonneville. Grew up with and ride with Harley guys. My last bike was a shadow though. Really liked how darned dependable the thing was. Wife has it now. ;) I lean toward the CB1100 because I trust Honda's reputation for reliable bikes and appreciate their much more developed dealer network. Thing is, test rode a CB with some buddies and can't hear it in the pack. I haven't liked the sound of most of the exhaust systems I have found, though the "Jimmy tune" stock mod on this forum is promising... I found a video of a guy removing his cat. while he had it cut open, he started it. WOW! even the monster CI harley dudes I run with raised an eyebrow. Anyone know of someone who has done a straight pipe or open headers with turndowns the right way to be sure they aren't screwing up fuel mixture and so on? I know it is loud and not some people's thing, but it is mine. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Scout
This site may help you in your decision on exhaust Megs Exhaust Warehouse-Exhaust Systems, Exhaust Collectors, Components, Exhaust Conical, Mufflers, Exhaust Tips
To me,tone is more important than volume, but you can have both..just hammer it!
 
Back
Top