Storing me Cycle any sugestions ?

enzo_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi members of good TASTE......
I am trying a new job interstate with the hope moving there.
I will be taking my Hondas XL's but not my CB.
The bike will have had the 2nd. service and as yet not dun 3728.2271534240035 Miles. (6000km). Why so many numbers?
I have read and heard of waxing and the service.
My main worries are the tank, injectors, anything else?
I am keeping the bike, any Ideas?.
Regard
Enzo
 
Run it till out of gas, remove tank, remove fuel pump, place pump in jar of kerosene. Store tank upside down in dry location, change oil, and filter, remove battery. Plug exhaust. Other ideas members?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Anything under 2 years, fill the tank with ethanol free gas if available, add Marine Stabil as recommended. Run the bike for 10 minutes. Change the oil and filter. Pull the plugs inject a small amount of oil to the cylinders. Pull the battery and store in a controlled environment. Put bike on center stand and raise both wheels off the ground. You should be good to go.
 
Yep used it on my BMW when it was in storage for 12 plus years. Worked great, but a dry place is best.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Send it to me, then I disconnect the speedo, fill with fuel, abuse for 2 years and return to you in more or less the same condition, minus the dents from where it "fell over in its oxygen tent". :D
 
Also enzo, put the bike on the center stand and reduce the PSI in the tires to about half way. If it's going to be stored on a cement floor, put cardboard, wood-panel or a rubber mat underneath the bike.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Why reduce tire pressure?
Saves the tyres having to go flat on their own.


Seriously though it's so the rubber isn't under as much pressure, in theory makes it less likely to dry/perish than if it's 'relaxed' if that makes sense.
 
Interesting. Never heard that one before. Unless both wheels were off the ground you'd think that would cause flat spots on the tires.
 
CIP is saying get both wheels off the ground.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Why reduce tire pressure?
Sorry for not getting back quicker,
But getting the weight off the tires will prevent a flat spot from forming, and by reducing the air pressure from the tire, you can lessen the burden on the rubber and minimize degradation and cracking.
 
I've heard of getting the weight off of the wheels, just never heard of reducing the pressure before. That's a new one for me. Good to know.
 
Makes sense though. In a few car museums I've notices they raise the car on stands so the tires are just a hair off the floor but provide the illusion it is on the ground like normal. Now I know why.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
SeaFoam vs. draining and removing the tank seems to be popular. Disconnecting the negative battery cable is also a typical recommendation. I have no direct experience as we ride year-round here.
 
Back
Top