Stopped at local dealer today to look at Kaw 900

Just an update. I'm no longer looking for a Z900. Not because I bought one, but because I just had a surprise airplane engine expense. The cost to get me back in the air just happened to be exactly what my budget allowed for the new bike.

Looks like the old CB750 will just have to soldier on for another year as my second bike. On the bright side, it might be easier to find a good deal on a lightly used Z900 in another 10-12 months.
 
Jeez musta been an expensive repair on the plane. Too bad. Unexpected repairs stink.
 
Yep. Generally, all plane repairs are expensive, but the engine troubles are the worst. Only to be surpassed by surprise engine troubles. :-/
 
Don't know much about planes in general but assuming multi cylinder engines, repair cost is not cheap for sure...not to mention other sections.
Good luck with your repair :thumbsup: Would be curious to hear what was wrong, especially if related to the engine.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Don't know much about planes in general but assuming multi cylinder engines, repair cost is not cheap for sure...not to mention other sections.
Good luck with your repair :thumbsup: Would be curious to hear what was wrong, especially if related to the engine.
Yep. Like the CB1100, my airplane engine is a 4 cyl. air cooled engine.

ff272f6b4a44b29cc51154547e631ae6.jpg


This is related to an incident I had back in August. The propellor hit a raised sprinkler head at a grass airstrip. Regulations require that the engine is torn down inspected for internal damage. After disassembly, it was deemed prudent to go ahead and do a full engine overhaul instead of just reassembling with worn parts.

Insurance covered about half of the cost, but I was on the hook for about $10.5K, which happens to be exactly the amount I'd set aside for the Z900.
 
Cool.... Looks like a super BMW flat twin
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool.... Looks like a super BMW flat twin
I always think of 'em as looking like an oversized air cooled VW. That one is a 360 cubic inch (4260 cc) and makes about 180 hp.

Quote:Goodness....that's scary...you could have had problems "in the air"
I wasn't too worried about it. The small sprinkler head has very little mass and the engine was idling, so I didn't expect them to find any actual engine damage from the prop strike (which they didn't). Since the sprinkler put a couple of dings in the prop, tear down inspection was mandatory.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Don't know much about planes in general but assuming multi cylinder engines, repair cost is not cheap for sure...not to mention other sections.
Good luck with your repair :thumbsup: Would be curious to hear what was wrong, especially if related to the engine.
Yep. Like the CB1100, my airplane engine is a 4 cyl. air cooled engine.

ff272f6b4a44b29cc51154547e631ae6.jpg


This is related to an incident I had back in August. The propellor hit a raised sprinkler head at a grass airstrip. Regulations require that the engine is torn down inspected for internal damage. After disassembly, it was deemed prudent to go ahead and do a full engine overhaul instead of just reassembling with worn parts.

Insurance covered about half of the cost, but I was on the hook for about $10.5K, which happens to be exactly the amount I'd set aside for the Z900.
Yep. Like the CB1100, my airplane engine is a 4 cyl. air cooled engine.
2079dabe2e0998d38d23a0b043cb9b84.jpg

Thanks, looks very simple 4 cyl boxer with pushrods. Does it have 1 or 2 plugs per cylinder, with multiple ground electrodes ?? When I was a kid my father used to bring me such long plugs with screw on ignition cables.....a few of them I had in my 50cc...
I know from many articles that small plane regulations are very strict..small cuss = big back$.
Good luck with your repair, always have safe flights & rides :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Don't know much about planes in general but assuming multi cylinder engines, repair cost is not cheap for sure...not to mention other sections.
Good luck with your repair :thumbsup: Would be curious to hear what was wrong, especially if related to the engine.
Yep. Like the CB1100, my airplane engine is a 4 cyl. air cooled engine.

ff272f6b4a44b29cc51154547e631ae6.jpg


This is related to an incident I had back in August. The propellor hit a raised sprinkler head at a grass airstrip. Regulations require that the engine is torn down inspected for internal damage. After disassembly, it was deemed prudent to go ahead and do a full engine overhaul instead of just reassembling with worn parts.

Insurance covered about half of the cost, but I was on the hook for about $10.5K, which happens to be exactly the amount I'd set aside for the Z900.
Yep. Like the CB1100, my airplane engine is a 4 cyl. air cooled engine.
2079dabe2e0998d38d23a0b043cb9b84.jpg

Thanks, looks very simple 4 cyl boxer with pushrods. Does it have 1 or 2 plugs per cylinder, with multiple ground electrodes ?? When I was a kid my father used to bring me such long plugs with screw on ignition cables.....a few of them I had in my 50cc...
I know from many articles that small plane regulations are very strict..small cuss = big back$.
Good luck with your repair, always have safe flights & rides :thumbsup:
There are 2 plugs per cylinder and each plug is powered by a separate magneto (for redundancy). The plugs have dual electrodes and the cables are screwed on an secured with a nut.

40d05c0f29db908e239fb7f8018e8456.jpg
 
Flyn, I'm sorry to hear the aeroplane has gobbled up your '17 or Z900RS.
 
Flyn, thanks for this info...we would talk about plane's engines ++ for hrs if not days but other member would get bored...good luck with your repair...and remember, no errors :P:) :thumbsup:
 
Roseville Powersports has the 2018 Z900 ABS in multiple color choices for $6499. This is the sportier model with the full-power motor.
 
Desert viper, during your test ride of the Z900RS please pay close attention to the smoothness or lack thereof of the on-off/partial throttle response. Nearly every review of that bike is glowingly positive, except for one, nearly universal complaint that the poor fueling makes partial-throttle transitions in the corners a dicey affair.

A lot of owners on the Z900RS forum say they notice no such thing, but I usually disregard what they say because people tend to want to justify their new purchases. They're in the honeymoon phase of ownership, and often aren't the most honest or objective reviewers. Also, these people typically aren't riding dozens of different bikes all the time, the way the reviewers from motorcycle websites do, so they might not notice or even be aware that the fueling on their new bike isn't as smooth as it could be.

By all accounts, the Z900 with the full-power motor isn't plagued by the Z900RS's fueling glitch, nor is the Z900RS Cafe. Only the Z900RS seems to be plagued by this issue.

Please report back with your findings.
 
Will do VLJ....that’s my main reason for the test ride....also going to check if we are riding the 2019 model....might have addressed the fueling glitch...I’ll report back.
 
Ok so I test rode the 2019 Z900rs today at the Long Beach Motorcycle Show. First, the fueling is perfect. They led us for about a 30 minute ride thru city streets with a lot of starting and stopping, and then a 50 mph 1 mile stretch. Acelleration was impressive and seamlessly smooth, not one hint of a glitch. With a 30 inch inseam I will definitely be getting the low seat. The stock exhaust sounds great also. I will be getting one soon....
 
Back
Top