Stopped at local dealer today to look at Kaw 900

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My good riding buddy and I got my 1991 R100GS to a really good BMW technician today for some tranny work, carb rebuild, and other odds and ends. Probably a new driveshaft, too. I've owned this old gal since March 1991, and can't bear to part with it. She's a great traveling machine.

On the way home, I mentioned seeing the retro Kaw at the dealer when I stopped to pick up some parts, and we decided to stop off and kick tires. We weren't buying, just looking.

Is it a Z900? Whatever, it's a pretty machine. This one was in root beer and orange, like some of their bikes from the 1970s.

The dealer is multi brand, including Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, as well as Aprilia.

Big surprise, there was a black 2014CB1100 with a 'please don't sit on this bike, it's sold' sign on the saddle. Looked around a bit more, and found another left over '14 for sale. They also have a lovely 2017 on the floor. That is one classic looking Honda!

Bob
 
Did you happen to catch the price of the leftover CB? I’ve heard of a few sitting at absurdly cheap prices (like under $6k for a bike that’s never been registered).
 
Just bought a new leftover 2014 black beauty for $5999.00. OTD price with a 5 year unlimited Honda warranty was 7k. What more can you ask for?
 
Thread starter
Their published price on their web site is $6495.

Dealer is State 8, located in Cuyahoga Falls OH.

They'd probably deal.
 
Talked to my Honda/Kawasaki dealer the other day; the 900's are not selling that well. He sold more CB's straight away before they dried up than the 900's. He thinks it's a very limited market.

I like the looks of the root beer coloured one; but Honda did a better job on the retro looks than Kawasaki. Sure the Kawi will spank the CB in raw performance but these bikes aren't about raw performance. They have to have a certain look and just enough performance to back up the look (which frankly does not take much).

I think motorcycles, as a market, have matured like cars so now absolute power and speed are not that relevent (with raw power and speed at such levels that less than 1% of the riders out there can take advantage of it - and live). Now you get the bike that does the job you want; just like your car. Shoot; most bikes don't even have to do a real job; just comfortably get you to coffee on Sunday! (ignoring for the moment the type of rider that prefers to bar hop).
 
As and old Kawi (and Honda) guy, I liked the tank, body panels, and the seat, but... the exhaust just didn't do it for me. I'd much prefer a 4 into 2, or better yet, a 4 into 4 like the early ones had. The looks of the motor were OK, really just tolerable. I did like the look from the seat - gauges and the big tank brought back memories, but... overall, I'd never trade my CB for one.
 
The A-man_imp said:
As and old Kawi (and Honda) guy, I liked the tank, body panels, and the seat, but... the exhaust just didn't do it for me. I'd much prefer a 4 into 2, or better yet, a 4 into 4 like the early ones had. The looks of the motor were OK, really just tolerable. I did like the look from the seat - gauges and the big tank brought back memories, but... overall, I'd never trade my CB for one.
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 900RS (prices are finally starting to come down). I recognize that it's a thoroughly modern bike in retro clothing. Certainly not a real UJM like the CB11. Even though I look forward to parking a 900RS next to my CB11, I would certainly never trade my CB for one.
 
I'm looking for the root beer and orange one like the one in your picture. So far, I've found good deals, but only on the black ones. I'm just holding out for the one I want.
 
That’s the color I like too.....
[attachment=8672]Here’s one in Simi Valley, Ca.....about a 5 hr drive from you....no prep/set up fees....maybe they’ll wave freight also....
 
treytexag_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
Just bought a new leftover 2014 black beauty for $5999.00. OTD price with a 5 year unlimited Honda warranty was 7k. What more can you ask for?
That is a crazy good deal IMHO.
That is a crazy good deal IMHO.
what I love about these deals on the '14s is that you can buy a brand new CB11, get the warranty, buy a complete K10 kit from whitehouse, and STILL spend less money than the full MSRP of the bike. its bananas.
 
I have not seen any Kawi’s in that color with a stock 4 into 4 exhaust on the showroom floor. I priced the lime green cafe version 2 weeks ago for $11.4k with no tax etc. that was the floor price. edit: not sure why my post is stretched out like this. Might be because I’m sitting at Pat Cohan’s Pub in Cong, Ireland and the message electrons are as lit up as I am. Edit2: ferret and powerdubs. Hope you guys are OK and healing quickly. The rest of you guys take care. Not enough of us CB riders around to even loose one.
 
Enjoy Eire, Frulk. Sadly, your elongated message is not down the effect of Guinness on message electrons. That would have been wonderful.
 
I'm much more tempted to add the 2017 CB to the stable than the 900. Or a Triumph. Suddenly the CB300R just hit my radar. While available overseas it will now be imported here. I'm thinking going that route (or a Rally) instead of another big bike. Toss the small bike in the truck then ride once I get to my destination. Riding home from the last rally from San Ysidro New Mexico to Phoenix I froze between Grants and Gallup, the roasted south of Flag. The Griso is not the ideal touring bike.

Guess I'm getting soft.... :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
I'm much more tempted to add the 2017 CB to the stable than the 900. Or a Triumph. Suddenly the CB300R just hit my radar. While available overseas it will now be imported here. I'm thinking going that route (or a Rally) instead of another big bike. Toss the small bike in the truck then ride once I get to my destination. Riding home from the last rally from San Ysidro New Mexico to Phoenix I froze between Grants and Gallup, the roasted south of Flag. The Griso is not the ideal touring bike.

Guess I'm getting soft.... :)
Actually, I had both he '17 CB11 and the 900RS on my radar. In fact, last weekend, Ridenow in Chandler priced their '17 CB11 at $8K even. When I saw the ad, I jumped on my bike and headed over there to buy it. Sadly, somebody beat me to it by about 6 hours. :(
 
Rboe_imp said:
I'm much more tempted to add the 2017 CB to the stable than the 900. Or a Triumph. Suddenly the CB300R just hit my radar. While available overseas it will now be imported here. I'm thinking going that route (or a Rally) instead of another big bike. Toss the small bike in the truck then ride once I get to my destination. Riding home from the last rally from San Ysidro New Mexico to Phoenix I froze between Grants and Gallup, the roasted south of Flag. The Griso is not the ideal touring bike.

Guess I'm getting soft.... :)
I love the looks of the CB300R. I think it would be an absolute blast to ride in the twisties. My only concern is that as a thumper, it would probably be pretty buzzy at highway speeds.
 
Was in the local multi brand bike dealer Friday kicking tires. Lime green 2018 Kawi 900 cafe version mentioned in my post above went from $11.4K down to $10.7k.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Was in the local multi brand bike dealer Friday kicking tires. Lime green 2018 Kawi 900 cafe version mentioned in my post above went from $11.4K down to $10.7k.
There are a couple of dealers here in Phoenix that are listing the cafe model below $9500. Here's one.

RideNow Goodyear: Powersports Dealer in Goodyear, AZ

Same place has a black one listed at $8895. If I could get 'em to give me an orange/rootbeer one at that price, I'd go for it. Unfortunately, they won't.
 
Roper_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I'm much more tempted to add the 2017 CB to the stable than the 900. Or a Triumph. Suddenly the CB300R just hit my radar. While available overseas it will now be imported here. I'm thinking going that route (or a Rally) instead of another big bike. Toss the small bike in the truck then ride once I get to my destination. Riding home from the last rally from San Ysidro New Mexico to Phoenix I froze between Grants and Gallup, the roasted south of Flag. The Griso is not the ideal touring bike.

Guess I'm getting soft.... :)
I love the looks of the CB300R. I think it would be an absolute blast to ride in the twisties. My only concern is that as a thumper, it would probably be pretty buzzy at highway speeds.
I love the looks of the CB300R. I think it would be an absolute blast to ride in the twisties. My only concern is that as a thumper, it would probably be pretty buzzy at highway speeds.
As a second bike, if you had to spend much time at highway speeds your CB1100 would be the better tool.

On youtube.com, The Chronicles of Mr Fish has a nice review (but he seems to lack a stretch on the freeway/motorway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KM4kXScoY&t=6s
 
Back
Top