**Stolen 2013 CB1100**

The ferret_imp said:
vwinks_imp said:
All,
It is with great sadness that I am here to report my stolen 2013 cb1100. It was stolen out of my parking garage in downtown Des Moines, IA last night.

If any of you are in the state, please keep a look out for it. License plate GF6630 (but the plate is probably off the bike by now). Everything was stock and it had a small dent on the outside of the exhaust.

Thank you,
vwinks

Thieves should be hung, then shot, then their heads put on a spike on the main road leading into town.
Well said, Ferret. Shot in the head with poisoned rope at the break of dawn... :@ Once my helmet was taken from behind me (literally, it was just 3 feet away, put on the seat while fumbling with the garage door) and some jackass took it. Still remember the frustration and disbelief.
 
Csory_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
vwinks_imp said:
All,
It is with great sadness that I am here to report my stolen 2013 cb1100. It was stolen out of my parking garage in downtown Des Moines, IA last night.

If any of you are in the state, please keep a look out for it. License plate GF6630 (but the plate is probably off the bike by now). Everything was stock and it had a small dent on the outside of the exhaust.

Thank you,
vwinks

Thieves should be hung, then shot, then their heads put on a spike on the main road leading into town.
Well said, Ferret. Shot in the head with poisoned rope at the break of dawn... :@ Once my helmet was taken from behind me (literally, it was just 3 feet away, put on the seat while fumbling with the garage door) and some jackass took it. Still remember the frustration and disbelief.
Really? I suppose everything has a value in the urban jungle.
 
Having spent 29 years in law enforcement, I can say that just because to CB1100 is a retro naked bike, doesnt mean somebody somewhere wont try to steal it. Granted though, the odds are probably lower than a crotch rocket or Harley. It is too early in vwinks case to speculate, but the example Cormanus posted the link to, was probably "urban transportation". That is what we Police, at least in my neck of the woods, used to refer to when a vehicle was stolen as transportation from point A to point B and no other reason. Hopefully that will be the case for vwinks bike, and the Police will find it.

Obviously it would be impractical to lug around heavy chains, locks, and other substantial anti theft devices on an every day basis. I carry 2 disc locks in the accessory tray under my seat, and lock front and rear rotors whenever I am away from the bike during my daily travels. When the weather gets consistently warmer, I will be adding the Honda OEM alarm system, detailed in this thread: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6024&highlight=alarm The system is plug and play, not prohibitively expensive, but does require being ordered from Japan. Ultimately I did buy the optional LED indicator that I had initially dismissed in that thread. It occurs to me that out in the open, an alarm may or may not be heard, and even if heard might not be paid any attention to. However, in the parking garage setting, an alarm would probably echo off all the hard surfaces, and cause enough racket to discourage a bike thief. Then too, I have found that people generally respond more proactively to hearing an alarm in a parking garage than outside in the open.

On road trips, I take and use my chain. Day to day, I will use my disc locks ( and alarm once it is installed ). Nothing is fool proof, but anyone that wants to steal my bike is gonna have to put a lot of effort into taking it away from me. Vwinks, sorry this happened to you, and I will hope for you that your bike is found in good condition and returned to you.
 
I used a heavy chain one time on a 1980 CBX and forgot to take the chain off before riding of and bend some of the Comstar spokes.
After that I always booked a ground level room in a hotel/motel and put my bikes inside the room .
 
Very clever, effective little device. I think I would use it along with disc locks though. This thread has gotten me to thinking in perhaps a direction I might not have thought of previously. I think we all recognize that if a thief wants to take your bike bad enough, it is going to happen no matter what deterrents are used. With that in mind, I think it comes down to a couple of factors. First, what deterrent is convenient enough to use consistently, and what deterrent will cause the least amount of damage while defeating, in the hopes that the bike is recovered.

Already being a user of front and rear disc locks, this thread woke me up to the second aspect of minimizing damage caused by the thief defeating security features. I think we have all seen the Utube videos of how easy it is for bike thieves to use their feet and legs to break fork locks. Forum Member Grover ( Cormanus posted link ) frame was damaged by the thief breaking the fork lock, as well as the top triple tree clamp. Ultimately this resulted in a new frame and top triple tree...major surgery.

All this got me to re think whether or not to use my fork lock at all, because I use front and rear disc locks. So, if someone went to all the trouble to defeat the disc locks, the bike is definitely going to be taken, and at that point I would not want frame damage in the hope that the bike was recovered by the Police. Food for thought?
 
2017EX, your front and rear locks, are these equipped with the alarm as well, or just mechanical? Mine is...with ears penetrating sound.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
2017EX, your front and rear locks, are these equipped with the alarm as well, or just mechanical? Mine is...with ears penetrating sound.
Originally I had thought about locks with alarms, but got gun shy about them when I read a lot of reviews about false alarms, plus the added cost. I had intended to look into an alarm, and when the OEM alarm thread appeared I had the right combination for me between it and my regular disc locks. For those that might not want the bike alarm route I went, and if you have had good luck with your alarm disc locks, what brand are they?
 
Peterbaron, oddly enough, I was seriously considering Xena. I use Revzilla A LOT for my gear because of their great shipping and return policies, and had watched the Xena product video there. Then I found Utube videos about false alarms, and difficulties disarming within the allotted time problems. Ultimately I went with Bully Premium mechanical disc locks. I also decided that it would be best for me to have the alarm on the bike, and separate from the disc locks due to situations like the one in your link where the disc lock was broken off. In my research I found that just about all all disc locks are cast. I also found that, like any other deterrent, they can all be defeated ( broken) if the person knows what he is doing. If you have been happy with your locks to this point, I would not worry about it because with the right how to knowledge, yours are no more or less secure than mine.
 
I guess I am just lucky. I have owned more than a dozen motorcycles during the 27 years I have ridden. I have never had a bike or any gear stolen.

When I returned to motorcycling 5 years ago I did put my helmet and gloves in my tank or tail bag when I stopped for breakfast or lunch. Out of sight, out of mind. Stealing them however would have been as easy as undoing the zipper.

When I am not riding my motorcycle is parked in the garage and locked. The tail bag has now been replaced with an inexpensive plastic helmet box bolted to my Honda rear rack.
 
The first time I took a motorcycle friend of mine from Israel to Barbers to the Vintage Days he could NOT believe how many helmets, boots , jackets etc. were just left on the parked bikes with nothing to lock them. He took pictures and send them right then to his friends back home to show how honest bikers are in America. I told them not everyone is honest but most bikers are. It made me feel proud ! He told me that back in Israel everything would be stolen very quickly.
 
Houtman_imp said:
The first time I took a motorcycle friend of mine from Israel to Barbers to the Vintage Days he could NOT believe how many helmets, boots , jackets etc. were just left on the parked bikes with nothing to lock them. He took pictures and send them right then to his friends back home to show how honest bikers are in America. I told them not everyone is honest but most bikers are. It made me feel proud ! He told me that back in Israel everything would be stolen very quickly.
In '09 I rode my KLR650 to Mexico. Stopped at a gas station to fill up about a mile before a town where my friend and I wanted to stay. Filled bike, continued on to downtown area of the town. Found hotel, needed to pay up front so I reached for my backpack which had billfold, passport, camera, mc documentation...and it was not there! A sense of disbelief crashed upon me as I remember setting my backpack down and then got distracted by something my riding budding asked me. Well, this is Mexico...what are the chances it could still...never mind. But, why not go through the motions...got back on bike and headed back to gas station. Looked at where my bike was, yep, no backpack.

"I-am-totally-screwed". I get ready to head back to hotel to confirm the bad news to my friend but I decide to head inside of gas station to ask by chance...yeah, right. I open door and ask the lady, and she says "oh yes, I saw you leave your backpack and so I went out and set it on the bench outside so that you could find easily find it" ....you mean, it's outside on the bench (why didn't you just hold onto it?, I want to scream). Fat chance it's still there...I walk outside, and.....there it is. Yeah, but is there anything inside? ....... Open backpack and there's my billfold, my passport, my camera, my mc docs...everything is still there, some 30 minutes after leaving it on the ground in the middle of a gas station and then sitting unattended on a bench.

You would think I would have learned: at a later point in my trip while still in Mexico, I would leave the same backpack--this time with less valuable items at least--on the back of chair of an outdoor restaurant, return three hours later, and the backpack was still there! Never felt so lucky!

A week after I got home (Oregon) from my MX trip, left my KLR in the college parking lot where I work and where dozens and dozens of people are constantly walking about. After work, I walk out to my bike and someone has stolen a custom made aluminum muffler guard off my bike, which they had to loosen three bolts to take. My first thought: "this never would have happened in Mexico!":shy:
 
:rofl: great story pdedse

Houtman..I often leave my helmet and jacket and tank bag just sitting on the bike when I go into a restaurant, and rarely lock the forks. My brother would never do that, he locks up everything, plus he carries a gun (CCPholder). He doesn't trust ANYONE.
 
pdedse, I can only imagine the absolute panic you must have felt at losing all your documents in a foreign country.
Your luck certainly was with you to get everything back intact - almost a miracle I would say.
I've travelled to many foreign countries over the years and guarding my documents is bordering on an obsession with me - but not to the point where I didn't have fun and enjoy myself.
When we were in South America, for example, we were constantly told to not turn your back on anything or it will disappear almost instantly.
 
The ferret_imp said:
:rofl: great story pdedse

Houtman..I often leave my helmet and jacket and tank bag just sitting on the bike when I go into a restaurant, and rarely lock the forks. My brother would never do that, he locks up everything, plus he carries a gun (CCPholder). He doesn't trust ANYONE.
I have often found that the people whom carry a gun are still the most scared !
 
Varies greatly with region.

One can't compare the urban hustle of Rome to the back roads of North America. In Rome the backpack would be gone, or blown up by police.

For years I left the motorcycles, including the CB under a canvas cover winter through summer. No theft nor vandalism. But again, depends on the region ... and possibly some luck. The house I live in was once a victim to break and entry, right where the CB would be. So it can happen, it just hasn't for me. It also helps that there are bigger houses with bigger cars and faster motorcycles for would-be thieves to relish.

My experience is Mexicans are gentle, kind and passionate people. But like all societies, there are sub-groups who are desperate, and some down right evil. I'd say use commonsense and be done with it - sleep at night.
 
2017EX_imp said:
Peterbaron, oddly enough, I was seriously considering Xena. I use Revzilla A LOT for my gear because of their great shipping and return policies, and had watched the Xena product video there. Then I found Utube videos about false alarms, and difficulties disarming within the allotted time problems. Ultimately I went with Bully Premium mechanical disc locks. I also decided that it would be best for me to have the alarm on the bike, and separate from the disc locks due to situations like the one in your link where the disc lock was broken off. In my research I found that just about all all disc locks are cast. I also found that, like any other deterrent, they can all be defeated ( broken) if the person knows what he is doing. If you have been happy with your locks to this point, I would not worry about it because with the right how to knowledge, yours are no more or less secure than mine.
2017EX, thanks for you feedback and I agree 100% with your statement.
I can only protect my bike from stealing to the certain point, and always travel and park my bike in "good" places = this is the best I can do for my bike and myself.
If I caught a thief tempering with my bike, the justice would be served right on the spot, regardless of the further consequences = hope this will never happen..
 
peterbaron_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Peterbaron, oddly enough, I was seriously considering Xena. I use Revzilla A LOT for my gear because of their great shipping and return policies, and had watched the Xena product video there. Then I found Utube videos about false alarms, and difficulties disarming within the allotted time problems. Ultimately I went with Bully Premium mechanical disc locks. I also decided that it would be best for me to have the alarm on the bike, and separate from the disc locks due to situations like the one in your link where the disc lock was broken off. In my research I found that just about all all disc locks are cast. I also found that, like any other deterrent, they can all be defeated ( broken) if the person knows what he is doing. If you have been happy with your locks to this point, I would not worry about it because with the right how to knowledge, yours are no more or less secure than mine.
2017EX, thanks for you feedback and I agree 100% with your statement.
I can only protect my bike from stealing to the certain point, and always travel and park my bike in "good" places = this is the best I can do for my bike and myself.
If I caught a thief tempering with my bike, the justice would be served right on the spot, regardless of the further consequences = hope this will never happen..
2017EX, thanks for you feedback and I agree 100% with your statement.
I can only protect my bike from stealing to the certain point, and always travel and park my bike in "good" places = this is the best I can do for my bike and myself.
If I caught a thief tempering with my bike, the justice would be served right on the spot, regardless of the further consequences = hope this will never happen..
You are right , a dead person will no longer trying to steal your bike !
 
Back
Top