Stock exhaust Jet-hot coating

D_Man_imp

First service completed
Thread starter

Hey All,
Has anyone considered getting your headers coated. My understanding is there are many colors available and would stop the brownish tint everyone hates. I called Jet-hot and the quote was $250 not including the muffler. I was thinking about getting the main headers painted satin black and go with the RS3 siip on in chrome. Any thoughts.
D_Man
 
I hated the brownish tint. Hated that the pipes turned colors on my Bonneville as well. So glad the header pipes on the deluxe are double wall chrome.
 
I'm actually thinking it's time to start accenting other parts of the bike with a little bronze, Honda has a couple parts already, fork and and the instrument gauge cover. Red, black, silver and bronze isn't a bad color combo.
 
AzBob_imp said:
I don't hate the brownish tint.
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
I don't hate the brownish tint.
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
Look the brown tint is ugly, this bike should have came with a nice double walled chrome set of pipes period. It was a short cut on the engineers at Honda.
 
Dang D_Man, forget your chill pill this morning? :) Variety is the spice of life ya know.
 
The head pipes are made from stainless steel which reacts to the exhaust heat. Water makes it worse, so riding through puddles causes spots. They can be cleaned up, but will soon return to the bronze/brown color as soon as they are heated by exhaust firings again.
 
D_Man_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
I don't hate the brownish tint.
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
Look the brown tint is ugly, this bike should have came with a nice double walled chrome set of pipes period. It was a short cut on the engineers at Honda.
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
Look the brown tint is ugly, this bike should have came with a nice double walled chrome set of pipes period. It was a short cut on the engineers at Honda.
A nice set of double walled chrome pipes would eventually rust out. Our "ugly" stainless pipes will last forever... :P

~ The Bee
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
I don't hate the brownish tint.
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
I'm growing fond of it actually. :cool:
I was a hater, but I have reformed. I've kind of grown fond of a light gold tint. After cleaning them once thoroughly at 1000 miles, they've held up quite nicely. I'll clean them a second time at 10,000 miles.

I imagine as pipes get twisty and beautiful, like our 4-1 setup, making them double walled gets significantly harder.
 
Thread starter
D_Man_imp said:
Hey All,
Has anyone considered getting your headers coated. My understanding is there are many colors available and would stop the brownish tint everyone hates. I called Jet-hot and the quote was $250 not including the muffler. I was thinking about getting the main headers painted satin black and go with the RS3 siip on in chrome. Any thoughts.
D_Man
So out of 10 posts to this thread no one commented on weather coating my pipes would be a good idea or not.
 
D_Man,

I'd guess none of us really know.
 
D_Man_imp said:
D_Man_imp said:
Hey All,
Has anyone considered getting your headers coated. My understanding is there are many colors available and would stop the brownish tint everyone hates. I called Jet-hot and the quote was $250 not including the muffler. I was thinking about getting the main headers painted satin black and go with the RS3 siip on in chrome. Any thoughts.
D_Man
So out of 10 posts to this thread no one commented on weather coating my pipes would be a good idea or not.
I'm with ya. This is something I'd like to know. I think I'll check some other forums for reports because AFAIK nobody here has done this yet.
 
D_Man - I actually mentioned Jet-hot in another thread I started a few days ago about a product I am trying out on the headers called Sharkhide metal protectant. I agree, the Jet-hot would be my coating of choice. I think they have a coating that is pretty close to chrome or polished silver. I am sure black would look nice as well. Ceramic coating headers has been done for years in hot rodding circles. $250 does not sound like a bad deal in my opinion. Go for it and shoot us some pics after you get it done.
 
I know a guy who has a hot rod that has jet coated headers and they have held up very well after several years of road use. He has old school rams horn headers on a flat head Ford done in a yellow color.They still look pretty decent.
IIRC, he went with the jet coating because it was less money than ceramic coating.
 
I like the gold tint :) on the stock pipes. Adds to the CB1100 classic look!
Everyone has a preference...
Good stuff all round.
Cheers!
 
Back
Top