Stock exhaust Jet-hot coating

I did the coating a d it looks good in sterling silver . I will get Buck80 to post a pic. To each his on. It I did. Of like the tarnished. Headers and the ceramic coated headers cools off so fast.
 
D_Man_imp said:
D_Man_imp said:
Hey All,
Has anyone considered getting your headers coated. My understanding is there are many colors available and would stop the brownish tint everyone hates. I called Jet-hot and the quote was $250 not including the muffler. I was thinking about getting the main headers painted satin black and go with the RS3 siip on in chrome. Any thoughts.
D_Man
So out of 10 posts to this thread no one commented on weather coating my pipes would be a good idea or not.
So out of 10 posts to this thread no one commented on weather coating my pipes would be a good idea or not. It'll chip off very quickly and look terrible. I would skip it. Also what a huge amount of work to remove the header and replace it. Have to replace the gaskets between the header and head, too, or risk exhaust leaks.

Oh, heh heh, by the wayside, it's very typical in these parts to immediately have a thread veer off the rails.

I just seen one where they got to jawin' about tea sippin' and sech for going on three pages.
 
Jet-hot coating does not chip off. I have and had it on many of my bikes. My CB1100 did not have any exhaust header gaskets.
 
I can't see the header when I am riding the bike. Perhaps when the weather warms up it won't seem like such a big deal.
 
If they don't leak that's good. The ones I've seen get compressed and tend to cling to the head so it might look like you're seeing only the outside of the exhaust port. If leaking or if you ever take them off again, one way to get the gaskets out is to tap one side if the old gasket using the blade if a screwdriver like a punch then tap the opposite side until the gasket gets a bend in it and partially lifts up from the surface enough to get a pick behind it and pull it out.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
If they don't leak that's good. The ones I've seen get compressed and tend to cling to the head so it might look like you're seeing only the outside of the exhaust port. If leaking or if you ever take them off again, one way to get the gaskets out is to tap one side if the old gasket using the blade if a screwdriver like a punch then tap the opposite side until the gasket gets a bend in it and partially lifts up from the surface enough to get a pick behind it and pull it out.
Thks. Deanohh that is probably what happened. What is best way to check for even a slight leak?
 
jamboa_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
If they don't leak that's good. The ones I've seen get compressed and tend to cling to the head so it might look like you're seeing only the outside of the exhaust port. If leaking or if you ever take them off again, one way to get the gaskets out is to tap one side if the old gasket using the blade if a screwdriver like a punch then tap the opposite side until the gasket gets a bend in it and partially lifts up from the surface enough to get a pick behind it and pull it out.
Thks. Deanohh that is probably what happened. What is best way to check for even a slight leak?
Thks. Deanohh that is probably what happened. What is best way to check for even a slight leak?
pass a flame from a lighter or one of those long BBQ lighters around close to the joints and a leak will move the flame or blow it out. Of course dont let it melt or burn anything.
 
Thread starter
Hi All

Thanks for input to my header tarnishing issue. It’s really not a huge deal, more minor annoyance than anything. Lets face it the ride of the bike with brown looking pipes is unaffected by it. Reading all the post’s here it’s funny how people always tend to over think things and impart there own feelings, likes , dislikes and quickly shoot off on another tangent…These things tend to take on a life of their own. The real issue comes down to down to three basic options, for my bike as follows:

1. Do nothing…live with the brown pipes as is, although polishing is hard work and the brown discoloration quickly returns after riding a few hundred miles. (Live with annoying discolored pipes)

2. Replace the stock exhaust with better-made header exhaust assembly, down side is that upgrade cost can quickly escalate into a $2000 cash out lay or more to fix it. (Upgrade and be happy but have less $$$$)

3. Go with heat resistant coating ether Jet-Hot or perhaps a ceramic coating that is sprayed on with heat. Not sure of the down sides, but lot of car enthusiast seem to have good luck with coatings. (Rework pipes I now own but process has many unknowns)

I guess what I’m asking of our forum readers, is to vote on then options 1-3 and why you choose your option.
 
Several questions please......

How much.....

Turn around time

What gaiters did you go with......

I would appreciate a ride report after so many umpteen miles on how it is holding up.....

Looks great......
 
That looks good. I'll be curious to hear if it shows any discoloration after a few hundred miles. I can see coating a set of headers w/o the cat converter and using the chrome slip-on.
 
Hittheroad_imp said:
Jamboa, I'm sorry to get off the subject, but what highway pegs do you have?
I would like to know too. :huh:
 
MrTim_imp said:
Can anyone explain to me what the actual cause of the brown tint is?
stainless steel heated in the presence of oxygen results in the amber oxidation. I don't know what the chemical composition of the oxide is...
 
Back
Top