Stickers on tank?

I heated mine up with a hair dryer for about 30 seconds then carefully lifted one corner with a fingernail until you can grip it with your other fingers. If you pull them away with the lifted corner travelling at a 45 degree angle they come off nicely. Oh, and I heated each individual sticker one at a time. A little elbow grease with a cleaner wax got the residue off.
 
Heat gun, not too close or too long.
I used alcohol to remove the residue.
Last year, I did the same thing on another bike, and used too much heat, so the label came apart. It was a mess, but still cleaned up very nicely. Just took longer.
 
Best to remove them sooner than later, as over time the sun will slightly fade the tank's paint and the area under the stickers will be slightly darker than the rest of the tank. Note that I'm talking about something that occurs over the course of years, so you don't need to run outside and remove the stickers today!
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
Best to remove them sooner than later, as over time the sun will slightly fade the tank's paint and the area under the stickers will be slightly darker than the rest of the tank. Note that I'm talking about something that occurs over the course of years, so you don't need to run outside and remove the stickers today!
The stickers will stay on mine.. Nothing like seeing an original bike that still has the original stickers on it. They do stick out a bit so I'm going cover each one with dark tint plastic to lessen the visual impact.

Years from now (if I'm lucky) I'll have a genuinely 'original' bike.
 
They come right off like scoobynut says and the bike looks so much better without them.

And Furrious, they have part numbers so you can buy some and put them back in the future!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
They come right off like scoobynut says and the bike looks so much better without them.

And Furrious, they have part numbers so you can buy some and put them back in the future!

hmmm.. ordering a new set of warning stickers ?

That's the craziest thing I've not heard of.

I think I'll do that !

Thanks to this forum I'll be ordering 2 things that I'd not been aware were available:

Warning Sticker Set
Those Rubber lever ball protector things

:-)
 
When you get those lever ball rubber thingies, Heat them up in the sun or with hair dryer or heat gun and lube them up.

Then they WILL go on without ripping. I used WD40. After sitting overnight they were set and the WD tacked up.

They were slippery when lubed and I had to hold them with a rag or paper towel to worry them on. YMMV
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
When you get those lever ball rubber thingies, Heat them up in the sun or with hair dryer or heat gun and lube them up.

Then they WILL go on without ripping. I used WD40. After sitting overnight they were set and the WD tacked up.

They were slippery when lubed and I had to hold them with a rag or paper towel to worry them on. YMMV
Sorry to hijack the thread.. I've been going back trying to find the post that had the part number for the rubber lever ball ends.. can't find it !
Do you have the part number handy ? (again)
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
When you get those lever ball rubber thingies, Heat them up in the sun or with hair dryer or heat gun and lube them up.

Then they WILL go on without ripping. I used WD40. After sitting overnight they were set and the WD tacked up.

They were slippery when lubed and I had to hold them with a rag or paper towel to worry them on. YMMV
Sorry to hijack the thread.. I've been going back trying to find the post that had the part number for the rubber lever ball ends.. can't find it !
Do you have the part number handy ? (again)
Sorry to hijack the thread.. I've been going back trying to find the post that had the part number for the rubber lever ball ends.. can't find it !
Do you have the part number handy ? (again)
95010-16001:cool:

Edit to add: You have to order 2. They come one to a bag.
 
I bought mine on Saturday and rode it about 60 miles Sunday to start breaking her in. The sun was out here in W. Florida and the temp was approx 88 degrees. After being out, in the sun, for about 4 hours... the tank was nice and warm so I was easily able to get a fingernail under a corner of each and just slowly peeled them back. Back in the garage, I used a small amount of wd40 on a rag and wiped the residue clean. Then immediately after that, I sprayed some Mequires quick detail on the tank to clean off the wd40. Then laid down a nice coat of wax...

The paint on that tank rivals what Harley does... it's really good. And getting those stickers off makes it look even better.
 
I agree that WD-40 is the safest thing to use on painted surfaces to remove adhesive residue. It will not damage paint but it softens and breaks up almost any adhesive.

Chip
 
Back
Top