Steering shake.

Tezza_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Ever since I purchased my CB1100 in 2010 it has a head shake at low speed when I relax my grip on the bars. it has done it with 2 different front tyres. I have checked tyre pressures are correct but it has not changed the problem. Next step will be to check that the steering head bearings are tightened ok. Anyone else had this issue?
 
No, my CB is as smooth as oil.
Checking the steering head bearings is the next step.
If that doesn't cure the problem I'm at a loss as to what may be the problem.
 
A little headshake when decelerating from 50 mph to 40 mph is very common. Was happening when I worked in the industry in the 70's still happening today.

Every motorcycle forum I have ever seen has threads questioning this. There is even an explanation for it having to do with rake and trail and weight transfer, tire age, wear, inflation, steering head bearing tension, front wheel bearing condition and other things, but I can't recall all the specifics. Best general advice is check tire pressure and condition.... and don't let go of the bars.

Google
 
Tezza, I've had the same problem. It seems to be better since I fitted the SuperBrace.
 
My 2014 has a very slight tendency to shake the bars on deceleration when I relax my grip on the bars while decelerating around 45 mph. I have taken my hands off the bars to see what happens and the bars vibrated slightly; I just don't take my hands off the bars anymore. My 1976 Honda CB750F shakes on deceleration like a wet dog between 45 and 50 mph. Nothing that I have ever tried cured it completely, including a fork brace. My 1998 VFR800 is rock solid with no head-shake at all with good tires on it. It exhibited a very minor amount of head-shake a few times when the tires were worn.
 
Tezza_imp said:
Ever since I purchased my CB1100 in 2010 it has a head shake at low speed when I relax my grip on the bars. it has done it with 2 different front tyres. I have checked tyre pressures are correct but it has not changed the problem. Next step will be to check that the steering head bearings are tightened ok. Anyone else had this issue?
go to honda dealer and ask for advice. It is NOT normal
 
I had a slight shimmy 50 down to 35mph nothing big, installed the Superbrace and now is shakes so violently the front tire bounces of the ground and air gets into the brake cylinder. Bleeding the brakes today.

I like riding with no hands to relax, but I can't with the "super"shakes.
 
A speed related bounce or shake can be an off balance wheel on cars as well as cycles. My 14 with alloy wheels and bridgestone tires do have stick on weights that can come off individually or all together which will trigger this issue. Just like a car, you would take it to the dealer and have her checked for proper balance, even a slight miss-adjustment can triggger these issues you describe.
 
Waffa_imp said:
I had a slight shimmy 50 down to 35mph nothing big, installed the Superbrace and now is shakes so violently the front tire bounces of the ground and air gets into the brake cylinder. Bleeding the brakes today.

I like riding with no hands to relax, but I can't with the "super"shakes.
G'day Waffa. Hope your problem is resolved. Was the Superbrace installed incorrectly? Or did you have a separate suspension or tyre/wheel problem? I find difficulty imagining how violent those shakes must have been. I have ridden my CB over several kilometres of dirt road so corrugated that the suspension could not possibly soak up the vibration, bringing the front tyre out of contact between the corrugations, and me with a bad case of eyeball bounce :0 . Yet no air (or foaming) of the brake fluid.

After some time cruising I have a (bad) habit of, on deceleration for a stop, taking my hands off the bars and holding them by my sides for a short period. This gets the blood back where it should be and brings my aged wrists and hands back to life. One of the sets of tyres I have had on my CB, can't remember if it was the Dunlops or the Bridgies, would produce a slight wobble, or shimmy, as described by other posters, but the Michelins seem to track straight. I think this wobble condition is a combination of bike set up and tyre balance/wear. I recall that some years ago, riding an early Fireblade, that I wouldn't take my hands off the bars for a millisecond on deceleration. As this was the first "modern" sports bike I had ridden, I accepted it for a few months but after a trip to the dealer for service, some adjustments were made; problem gone.

Let us know the outcome.

Cheers
 
As the miles build up (8,500 now) on my 2014 Deluxe the head shake has become worse. I took my hands off the bars this morning at about 45 mph to zip up my jacket and I thought I was going to crash because the bars starting shaking violently. I have the original tires on the bike. While the rear tire is near the end of its life, the (center) tread on the front tire looks like it could go another 4k - 5k miles. However, the front tire shows severe, uneven wear - exactly the same I experience on my 1976 CB750F (the CB750F head shakes also, a problem I have never been able to eliminate). I'll replace the tires and check the steering head bearings on the 1100 soon and see it that makes a difference.
 
I agree with Ferret. I've had a lot of different bikes since the seventies (yeah, I'm old) and some bikes do it and some don't. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong. My CB1100 doesn't do it, my CBR1000RR doesn't, and my Concours 14 didn't do it, then it did, then I got new tires and now it doesn't. :biker:
 
Besides the prior reasons given, there is another. If running radials and one hits a pot hole, bump, curb or the like, hard enough, the impact can compromise the bond between the steel strands and the encasing rubber, in the area of impact. You won't be able to see it or tell in any way, other than while riding. The air pressure, along with the bond keeps uniform tension throughout the circumference of tire allowing for stability. When that bond becomes inconsistent, a shake can be initiated. This off balance shake then can easily induce a wobble. The tire is ruined and replacement called for.
 
If you've had the tires on for, say, 3-4k, the front tire will always develop a "scallop or dips" in the tire. Every bike that I've owned, especially the new sportbikes, will scallop the front tires. Makes 'em shake. Usually comes from using the front brakes in a sporting fashion.
It just happens.

If your tires are new, check the runout of the the front tire bead, balance and then some tires just suck. lol.

To add, if you have a tube in there, it's gonna shake no matter what. I've never gotten a tubed tire sufficiently balanced.
 
Hate resurrecting old threads, but I've been noticing this handlebar wobble on my bike. If I let go of the bars, they start to wobble back and forth, getting progressively worse. I only have about 1800 miles on the bike I think, but the front Dunlop already looks to be cupping. I don't think I'll ever use Dunlops again if a new tire fixes it, but should I contact the dealer about the uneven tire wear so soon? The original tires on my last bike were Dunlops, and the front cupped by 7k miles bad enough to be replaced, and the rear wore out before that.
 
mine has this shake at about 45-50 MPH. thought it was just mine and the tires. was so bad the mirrors shook but after balancing both tires it is better but not gone. got the bike with 2K miles and now has 3300 , all this is with new Avon Roadrider tires.
 
Back
Top