State of motorcycle industry, business,sales today

Jfro5687_imp said:
Yea. We are still on lockdown (COVID) and many people are working from home, many companies have closed (temporarily) until things improve so it is very difficult. I am very cautious ordering stuff because the seller might not actually have the item to hand or even if they do no workers to physically service the order. Anyhow, There’s a massive vaccine rollout going on, I get my jab next week (woo hoo) and it’s scheduled for things to start opening up mid April, then in further stages through May and if all goes ok full open up mid June. Fingers crossed of course.
Totally understood.

Some inbound Customs teams for managing packages have been all sent home to self-isolate in recent past. I feel full complement teams did not refill the ranks with efficiency.
 
I read the other day that the price of used cars in Australia rose 36% in 2020 because of a lack of availability of new cars as a result of COVID. I just wish I had a car to sell.
 
Do you still have Holden cars? Do they make any there still?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Do you still have Holden cars? Do they make any there still?
From memory, GM, Ford & Toyota all shut down their production line a few years back - I can say for sure that Toyota was the last one to close the manufacturing facility in Melbourne back in 2018. I was in Sydney when it was announced.
 
I read yesterday that Honda automotive is shutting down some lines due to a chip shortage
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Do you still have Holden cars? Do they make any there still?
No. Local sale of rebadged GM models has recently stopped and the brand has come to an end.
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all that replied to my inquiry. That gave me a very comprehensive report on the state of the motorcycle industry today.
 
Has anyone seen any news of the H-D Panamerica, the adventure bike from the bar-and-shield co.? The look a little clunky, but I'd like to ride one just to check it out.
 
Great specs.

Just saw a video of the first ones rolling off the assembly line yesterday or day before.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
I read an article in this months Roadracing World & Motorcycle Technology, and they mention the decline in motorcycle sales being much worse than just the Covid Virus. It seems too few kids even ride bicycles today, about 3/4 will not even ride a bike this year, and riding bikes as a kid is a big plus factor as to whether or not you ride motorcycles as you get older. I would bet all of us rode a bicycle as a kid. I know I did for years until I hit 14 and bought my first motorcycle with my paper-route money, a 1970, Suzuki 100cc Wolf. In Ornage!
And yes, paper mags are still with us!
Is that a two cylinder 90cc?, I thought that Suzuki only made a 90cc and a 125 Wolf/Stinger?
And the 90 cc was only for Japan domestic market.
I love the Stinger 125 in "lime green" - will buy one if I has the chance, It was the bike of my dream in my teenage years.
Is that a two cylinder 90cc?, I thought that Suzuki only made a 90cc and a 125 Wolf/Stinger?
And the 90 cc was only for Japan domestic market.
I love the Stinger 125 in "lime green" - will buy one if I has the chance, It was the bike of my dream in my teenage years. No, it was a single cylinder, Rotary Valve engine with about 10BHP. I could outrun Honda 90's and 125's all day. I saw one on the internet last year and it was still in really good shape, orange and all. It was sold along side the 125cc Stinger, but about $100 cheaper, hence I bought it instead of the Stinger. $395 was a lot of money in September of 1969! The Stingers sold in Pensacola in 1969, were a darkish red color, and the first model of its kind. I think the green came out the next year.
GoldOxide_imp said:
The HD PanAm is of varied interest over at the Honda Africa Twin Forum site.

I am partial to the Futurama Bender design. More hands-on investigation may be required.
Watched the video. I like it.....nuff said......
 
A friend of mine has a 14 year old son who was struggling a bit in school. With dad's permission, I told the kid that I'd teach him how to ride a motorcycle if he brought his grades up...

"No thanks.", was the immediate response.

I was perplexed.

"What's the matter? Don't you like motorcycles?", I asked.

"They're okay I guess... But motorcycles are dangerous."

I can't say that the kid is wrong, he's probably smarter than I am.

I just never expected that reaction from a teenage boy. I was crazy for anything on two wheels at that age.

And then there's the proliferation of DCT and CVT automatic transmissions... I feel insecure without my clutch! I'm sure I could be happy with an automatic transmission bike... It still beats walking!

Someday driving your own vehicle will probably be against the law and we'll all be bussed to work in computer driven cages.

I'm glad we're not there yet.

These are the good old days.
 
The world is changing, Vata. I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel and ride when I was a kid. I wanted the sense of freedom that a car and a motorcycle represented. But today, most kids consider that same freedom to be the ability to be in digital contact with anyone or anything they could ever want. They can meet up with their friends without leaving their bedrooms. It's something that we have to come to terms with.

I work in a car and motorycle museum on weekends, and see two types of young people (kids of any age up to... let's say 14).
The first type is the kid who was taken to the museum by their car or motorcycle enthusiast dad, with high hopes that the kid will "catch the bug" and become an enthusiast as well. More often than not, the kid feels forced to be there, and the dad leaves feeling sad.

The second type of kid is the kind who has read about every type of car or motorycle and is literally dragging his parents through the museum, pointing out every little detail. They either want to quote all of the things that they have learned, or they ask questions about everything... "I know the difference between a V-twin and a parallel twin. See this one?... That's a V-twin. How 'come that one doesn't have a chain?" The parents look at me, shrugging, saying "He just likes this stuff, we aren't motorcycle people." To which I answer "Please nurture this... we need a lot more of these kids!!"
 
Gin60:

In the not so distant future, people may pay to see you working on a car or motorcycle in the museum on weekends via their mobile app subscription.




" ... Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you ... "
 
... that's what people were doing during the shut-down. We were doing virtual online tours. The web traffic on them was pretty good, and kept the museum in the public eye during the closure. Some people who have come in so far have said "I want to come see the stuff I saw on one of the virtual tours".

It got me looking at virtual tours of other collections in places that I'm not too likely to visit. Sometimes it's the only way!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
... that's what people were doing during the shut-down. We were doing virtual online tours. The web traffic on them was pretty good, and kept the museum in the public eye during the closure. Some people who have come in so far have said "I want to come see the stuff I saw on one of the virtual tours".

It got me looking at virtual tours of other collections in places that I'm not too likely to visit. Sometimes it's the only way!
Qool.

When working for a virtual audience, remember to manage the butt crack when crouching.
 
Back
Top