Starting on a CB1100 as a first bike

At 20 years of age I started on a Yamaha 100cc Twin Jet. Not much of jet really, but it was capable of 60 MPH downhill. I was 6'2" tall and weighed 163 pounds at the time. There were no motorcycle courses available, helmets were not mandatory or worn, and there was no motorcycle testing required for a licence.

I learned by myself how to use a clutch to change gears, a throttle enough to launch without stalling, and all the other things required to ride a motorcycle without getting killed. This bike was almost light enough to pick up.

Traded it in for a Yamaha 305cc twin three months later. Dropped it on a gravel road the first week I had it. Broken headlight, torn elbows on my shirt and knees on my jeans. I was scratched up, but that all healed.

Over the years I rode a BSA 650cc Lightning and dropped it a field horsing around with some biking buddies. Yes alcohol was involved. No damage done. Bought a Kawasaki 750cc triple 2-stroke, AKA the widow maker. Learned about high speed wobble racing a muscle car. Almost filled my pants, but survived without damage Downsized to a Yamaha 350cc R5 twin. Light and great handling motorcycle. Dropped it at low speed in a corner by grounding the foot pegs. No damage done except my pride as all my riding buddies were there to see it. Dropped my Aspencade (Goldwing) and my wife leaving a parking space when my foot slipped on some sand. After 26 years of riding experience dropped my brand new CB1100 EX when my foot slipped in the sand of a soft shoulder.

So when I see people telling this guy to buy an CB1100 as a first bike, it infuriates me.

He should take the motorcycle courses on the small bikes provided. Then buy one to practice the basics and learn the hazards of riding without injuring himself. To encourage him to start on a 84 horsepower, 560 pound top heavy porker is ludicrous and dangerous.

I know, as I have been told before, "Don't hold back Nortie, tell us how you really feel."
 
Not to get too far off topic but this bike is $12K without any "features" because of engineering, materials, and workmanship. I would say the fit and finish of the CB1100 has no rival at its price point. If any bike with all the factory extras were made to the CB's build quality it would be $20K. I bought one because I did not want all the extra electronic aids. I would have preferred not to even have ABS. FI for smooth running is all I need in the electronics dept. I have had bikes with all the goodies and corners were cut everywhere to build them at a price point. Even the big dollar Euro bikes sacrifice reliability to add upgrades we do not "need". Alas, these are just my opinions. Let the flames begin.
 
No flames, please. Respectful discussion of the points raised, on the other hand, will be welcome.
 
Thread starter
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the welcoming me in, and also all the different perspectives that you all have given me.

First and foremost, my reason on posing the question if the CB1100 was an okay starter bike specifically in this thread was I wanted the opinions of owners, and potentially of those that actually had the experience of it as a first bike. See what their thoughts was, and if they had to do it all over again if they would.

In addition to that the reason why I sought out going for the CB1100 straight off the bat was because I don't like the idea of buying used, at least with motorcycles. As my knowledge in the area is very little any machine I was going to buy I plan to buy new. I figured I'd get engine guards if anything were to go wrong, and have spare cash for repairs. For me fixing damages isn't a big issue.

However after going through all the feedback, it sounds as if my original plan was probably the best laid out. Which is to buy a smaller one(most likely the rebel 500), and then upgrade to the CB1100 in a couple years.

Again thank you everyone for the feedback, I really do appreciate you taking the time out of your day giving it to me.

Best.
 
Let us know what you get omarj, and post a picture.
 
omarj_imp said:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the welcoming me in, and also all the different perspectives that you all have given me.

First and foremost, my reason on posing the question if the CB1100 was an okay starter bike specifically in this thread was I wanted the opinions of owners, and potentially of those that actually had the experience of it as a first bike. See what their thoughts was, and if they had to do it all over again if they would.

In addition to that the reason why I sought out going for the CB1100 straight off the bat was because I don't like the idea of buying used, at least with motorcycles. As my knowledge in the area is very little any machine I was going to buy I plan to buy new. I figured I'd get engine guards if anything were to go wrong, and have spare cash for repairs. For me fixing damages isn't a big issue.

However after going through all the feedback, it sounds as if my original plan was probably the best laid out. Which is to buy a smaller one(most likely the rebel 500), and then upgrade to the CB1100 in a couple years.

Again thank you everyone for the feedback, I really do appreciate you taking the time out of your day giving it to me.

Best.
I think you will enjoy the CB500. It was designed to meet the 48 horsepower restrictions for new motorcyclists in Europe and Asia. I put over 33,000 kilometers on my CB500XA over the previous three summers and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The motor is quite capable because of it's excellent fuel injection and 6-speed transmission. ABS brakes are a great safety feature. I had to use them a number of times avoiding deer and other critters jumping out of the bush in front of me.

I hope that you enjoy your new bike and ride safe. Perhaps we will see back here in a few years.
 
Omarj,

How tall are you? That's the first question I have and the reason being there are other options as a first bike that would work if you're not too short. There are a few 650/700cc adventure bikes that are not too expensive or too powerful and can be equipped with protection to take a spill or 2.
Suzuki VStrom 650/Kawasaki Versys 650/Honda NC700x are the models that stand out. None of them have the classic retro look but all of them will do it all like a pickup truck. You may find out as I have that there are more than 1 style that's appealing.
 
Thread starter
Hi Nortoon,

Are you referring to this:
http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cb500f.aspx

If I understand correctly, the same engine that's in this machine, is in the rebel 500. My sense of taste I guess would be more into the 'classic/retro' look. Something about the round headlight just fancies me. Awhile back I was looking at the V7 from Moto Guzzi, however there's not many shops that would help with maintenance around my area. As I prefer to slowly gain knowledge over the coming years and do my own maintenance I'd like to make sure there were a few close ones around me that'd do the job correctly while I learn.

@HB9400

I'm 5'10. Similar to the above answer I do like the classic retro look. I'd buy a CB750 in a heart beat if they had a modern one out.
 
omarj_imp said:
Hi Nortoon,

Are you referring to this:
http://powersports.honda.com/2017/cb500f.aspx

If I understand correctly, the same engine that's in this machine, is in the rebel 500. My sense of taste I guess would be more into the 'classic/retro' look. Something about the round headlight just fancies me. Awhile back I was looking at the V7 from Moto Guzzi, however there's not many shops that would help with maintenance around my area. As I prefer to slowly gain knowledge over the coming years and do my own maintenance I'd like to make sure there were a few close ones around me that'd do the job correctly while I learn.

@HB9400

I'm 5'10. Similar to the above answer I do like the classic retro look. I'd buy a CB750 in a heart beat if they had a modern one out.
That is the naked model of the CB500 line. There is also a sport and adventure model. I rode the adventure model the 3 previous summers and traded it in on my CB1100 EX.

The Rebel appealed to me too because of its retro look. Something about a model with a round headlight, fenders and exposed motor that says MOTORCYCLE. I am sure you will enjoy it.
 
It would be good to have a member buy a Rebel. They could tell us all about it. :)

It's a tried and true motor in the CB500 range.
 
4b2ac9971be5c61d5a26377c71f05c9f.jpg
 
I have to add my 2 cents and agree with getting a proper starter bike. I rode as a teen and was quite competent. It was a dirt bike but I had mastered it. In the dirt. Skip ahead 30 years and I realized I had given up a pass time I truly loved and wasn't sure why. So at 49 I got my license. I read all the advice in not going too big and I'm glad I heeded it. Because I considered myself a good rider from my youth it was tempting to think I could "skip a grade" and quickly get up to speed on a bike I would want to keep long term. I'm so glad I didn't go down that path. Riding on the street after so many years I really was starting over. There are so many skills that you must master simultaneously to ride safely in the road with traffic and people that are primarily looking for other cars and not motorcycles. It was a bit overwhelming at first. Having a light bike with anemic power took a couple of variables out of the complex equation. My first bike was a brand new Honda cb500x. Best decision I made. I had decided I also wanted to eliminate the variable if a used bike from the equation. The bike wasn't that difficult to master itself but the complete picture of negotiating traffic, learning how to negotiate curves at a speed I could safely handle, and even safely stopping was easier in a bike that wasn't too big, heavy, or unforgiving. I think because the bike was manageable I was able to progress rather quickly. Had I dropped the bike or had an accident in my learning phase I might have given up. And when I felt I was ready for something bigger it was clear to me. The great thing is that Honda has a great resale value and there were plenty of new riders looking for an entry level bike that it sold in a week. The Honda line of 500's were specifically designed to meet European staged licensing for new riders. You aren't allowed to ride anything bigger than a 500cc bike at first. I would get a bike 450 pounds or less and no more than 500cc's. either get a cheap used one or a new one that you can resell if taken care of.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I sat on the Rebel 500. So comfortable. Same motor as the CB500(F,R,X). Has cult status in Thailand and Asia already. Very nice machine and plenty of motor.
 
The new Rebels are funny to me in that it seems the Honda engineers decided to steal ideas blatantly from Yamaha's Star Bolt. I've tested the Bolt a few times and would have bought the 2014 RSpec version if it were available at the time. I held off for a year and then decided on the CB1100. I really enjoyed the test rides and the engine feels much stronger in the lighter Bolt than the 950Ts that I have owned and with much better ground clearance. Additionally the Belt drive would be less maintenance than the chain on the Rebels.
 
Completely agree, but the fact that it lacks an electric boot is probably a show-stopper for some. Trying to kick-start a stalled bike in traffic can be overwhelming, even for an experienced rider. I wonder why Yamaha decided to omit an electric starter?
 
Back
Top