Starting on a CB1100 as a first bike

Hmmm. I just got back into cycles after 30+ years. Started with CB750 for a couple of days (literally) and then bought CB1100. I think body size and strength is a big factor. I am 61yrs 6ft 2151b and work out at gym (not a bulky guy but can leg press 300+ 1bs). The CB750 seems somewhat light on the freeways but I loved it. I taught my 28 year old 5'6" 1301b to ride the CB750 and she seemed good with it. Granted, I had some previous experience on a CX500 30+ years ago, but I became very comfortable on the CB1100. WARNING - Someone said you might drop it ... well I did while my ex-CHP neighbor was putting me thru his mini-CHP driving course .... was making U-turn in upward sloping driveway and engine died in turn because didn't have correct throttle/clutch combo. This cost me a new front break lever. The CB750 would be perfect starter bike in my opinion. The CB1100 is about 701bs heavier, but it perfect for cruising.
 
Welcome !

Riding the CB1100 fast out there on the open road and not crowded is not that hard. It is when you have ride a heavy bike at slow speed then things get more difficult. Knowing how to stop a fast and heavy bike when you encounter a dangerous situation is a different story.

It's hard to ride a CB1100 in crowded areas with cars, pedestrians, dogs, deers, bicyclists ... crossing your path. If you add gravels, blind turns, oil, pot holes, ...

I would suggest to start with something like the Rebel like others have already mentioned or the Suzuki S40 ( http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard S40/2017/S40.aspx ) to gain experience, and learn to anticipate dangerous road conditions to avoid them. The Rebel or S40 will be a lot more forgiving.
 
My first street legal bike was a CBR500r. I also had a Kawasaki Vulcan 500EN. The cruiser actually lasted me a lot longer than the sport bike as you don't have the same power expectations. I hit the CBRs limitations after about a year or so.

That said, I got hit by a car on that CBR and having 400 pounds of motorcycle on top of me sliding down the road sucked quite a lot. 550 pounds would have sucked a bit worse. As it was, I had to pull myself out from underneath that bike (mostly my legs, and when you're hurt that weight feels quite substantial).

I have to agree with the above. The CB1100 is heavy and its a bit of a barge on the corners (I'm a sportbike guy, so I'm used to leaning way over, which I'm paranoid to do on this thing because the center of gravity is so much higher).

On a side note, sub 600cc is cheaper on the insurance if you don't have five years+ in, anything not called 'sportbike' or classified as a 'super bike' is as well.
 
I asked myself all those questions the OP asked. After not riding for twenty five years I almost felt like I was going too big with the purchase of my CB1100. I would have bought something smaller but to there was nothing like the CB100 in style or price. Had the bike been a offered in a 750 as well I would have bought it instead.

With me it's the power more than the weight. My motorcycle safety class got me passed the weight issue with two days lugging around a Harley Street 500. With fifteen crash bars it weighed over 500lbs I'm sure.

I'm lucky in that I have plenty of seldom travelled paved roads to practice on. I too would recommend buying something smaller and used for a first motorcycle.
 
It's not easy to give you a fitting advice for to buy or not to buy the CB as a newcomer in motorbiking, because I'm riding motorbikes for such a long time. And of course have had my falls to the ground and paid my dues.

On the other hand the heart should approach what it yearns. If you have some strengh and discipline, you can master the daily art of survival driving such a bike as the Honda. I takes time and even more experience to really get used to all aspects of motorbiking. I imagine the situation that you start on a smaller bike and always feel so drawn to the CB. Not so satisfying I guess. Some people learn real quick, some very slow. So, find out who you are. The Honda once in motion is easy to handle, has a good frame and smooth but good power from down under. If you rev the throttle hard, it offers a lot of suprise in the lower gears. So one should be careful in the beginning. But you can cruise around with it all day long, something the CB seems to be made for. It is fullfilling, if one has the choice, not get stuck with or hang up with a compromise, but to by something you really like and want to grow with it. A motorcycle with all its mechanic is fore- and utmost a very emotional thing, at least for me. And it should be enlightening whenever you look at it. And it should function well whenever you want to go out for a ride. The CB is a master of both.

Wisedrum
 
Start small and used. One story of buying too big:
I scored a great deal on a practically new ST1100 because the previous owner, who bought new after 30 years of not riding, dropped it in the first 600 miles. He dropped it in his own driveway trying to turn it around. Then he let it sit in his garage for three years. I won, he looses.
 
I watched a YouTube review where someone said the CB1100 is so smooth and easy to ride that they'd recommend it to a beginner. But I don't think engine power is the only thing to consider. Having a lighter easy handling bike is good for beginners because we often make mistakes which are easier to correct on a 376lbs bike than a 560 lbs bike that has a higher centre of gravity. Learning to handle a motorcycle with something light, I never dropped a bike but if the cb was my first bike the close calls could have been drops. I waited a year to get my experience, and insurance break. My first bike was a 700 but it had similar power and stance to the 500 rebel which I think if you're comfortable on and like the look is a fine starter bike. My Honda dealership sold out of them in a few weeks one the season started.
 
So I bought a 2017 CB1100 as my first bike in the US. I have not ridden a bike in 20 years and my last bike in India was much much lighter and smaller. The CB is a great bike and rides much lighter than it weighs. Once you have her moving she glides and is smooth. I spent a few weeks getting familiar with her weight before taking her to the highway. I attended a MSF course and did all my drills on the CB home. I would highly recommend the CB as a starter bike. Please take the time to get used to her weight and realize that most weight related drops happen not at speed but when you are stopped or slow riding into your drive way or garage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I would say no. There is a good reason Motorcycle Safety Courses provide free to use motorcycles 250ccs and under for their instructional courses. If all you're interested in is the appearance of the CB1100, then download a picture and use it as a wallpaper or print out. You should learn on a smaller bike.

If you do decide yes, make sure you have:

1. Auto insurance

2. Health insurance

3. Life insurance

4. No children or other dependents

If you are sincere with your question, welcome to the forum, and please use caution with your purchase. However, I have a hard time believing the question is sincere and not a trolling attempt. Hey that's just me: I believe in conspiracies and I think outside the box
(:
 
I had never driven a dirt bike, smaller motorcycle, or anything but a car but my first motorcycle purchase was in fact the cb1100.

I wouldn't recommend buying it and trying to drive it home. I trailered it home and then practiced for several days in our huge church parking lot.

It was terrifying and I felt like I had made a very expensive mistake but after a while of practicing in a controlled environment I am now completely comfortable on the bike.
I'm also 6 1 and 175 pounds so the weight of the bike wasn't a huge deal for me.

So my answer is yes and no. You decide.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
josiah.hurt_imp said:
I had never driven a dirt bike, smaller motorcycle, or anything but a car but my first motorcycle purchase was in fact the cb1100.

I wouldn't recommend buying it and trying to drive it home. I trailered it home and then practiced for several days in our huge church parking lot.

It was terrifying and I felt like I had made a very expensive mistake but after a while of practicing in a controlled environment I am now completely comfortable on the bike.
I'm also 6 1 and 175 pounds so the weight of the bike wasn't a huge deal for me.

So my answer is yes and no. You decide.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be fair against my previous post, my nephew at 25yrs old did the same thing. He had never owned a motorcycle of his own although he had ridden a few smaller bike on occasion. His dad came into some money so he bought my nephew a next to new full dressed Harley Davidson. The dealer wouldn't even let him test drive it because he didn't have a motorcycle license. He later took the motorcycle safety course on that bike and got his license. I thought it was a very bad idea. He did crash and total it on the intestate a few months later. Luckily he got it slowed down enough and with the help of full crash bars and the saddle bags he wasn't injured save but some light road rash. He bought another HD with the insurance check. This was 2 years ago. So some people do go full big bike on their first purchase.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl:

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm
Mediocre??? Really? I must have flipped forums by mistake...
 
I took in MSF class in 2001. My first purchase was a Shadow Sabre 1100. I think the CB1100 is fine for a starter bike. Buy something smaller and you will be selling it 3 months later.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see everyone talking about how heavy the CB1100 is. It feels like a bicycle compared to my GoldWing of 950LBs!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
ride4now_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl:

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm
Mediocre??? Really? I must have flipped forums by mistake...

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm
Mediocre??? Really? I must have flipped forums by mistake... Ride more bikes
 
LAF - you don't know me and you don't know how many bikes I've ridden or owned. So I'll take that comment for what it obviously is. In addition, you publicly state that a machine is mediocre and say it to the fans who obviously do not agree with you or they wouldn't be hanging out here. That my friend is a form of heresy. The point is, these are all opinions (yours too) and like it or not, yours (at least in this forum) is in the minority. Which may actually be a fact... Have a great day!
 
I learned to ride on an 80cc two stroke in the dirt and also a 250cc Trials bike which was meant to go slow over obstacles. Trail riding taught me about sand, wheels slipping, mud, skidding, the back tire slipping, both tires skidding on the brakes, riding through water and mud at the same time, riding up very steep hills thru and around pine trees with the bike trying to flip over, riding on slippery rain soaked trails, tipping the bike over, flipping it over backwards, riding up and down deep sand pit hills etc. So, yeah smaller bikes taught me a lot. They also sell very easily when it's time to move on to something else. My first street bike was a Honda Nigthhawk 650 and it weighed 465 pounds and had 74 HP.
 
Back to the subject at hand. I'm sure the CB has been a first bike to many but I don't think it would be a wise decision. I agree that the bike is a bit heavy and could actually be too powerful (pun not intended) for a new rider. I guess it would actually depend on the rider, him or her self, and whether they're 'confortable) on the bike. I think most people would be better off to start with something smaller and less expensive and then move up from there. But alas, and again, just an opinion. Good luck with your decision!
 
ride4now_imp said:
LAF - you don't know me and you don't know how many bikes I've ridden or owned. So I'll take that comment for what it obviously is. In addition, you publicly state that a machine is mediocre and say it to the fans who obviously do not agree with you or they wouldn't be hanging out here. That my friend is a form of heresy. The point is, these are all opinions (yours too) and like it or not, yours (at least in this forum) is in the minority. Which may actually be a fact... Have a great day!
All of this is true. And my opinion is just a matter of my own perspective and personal experience, so please judge it on your own merit. I'm a fan of cb1100 and plan on keeping it forever, however that does not stop me from seeing its shortcomings, which are just as prevalent in any other consumer product. I like it because it's a beautiful and easygoing motorcycle. I don't like how primitive and underwhelming it is for its price range (lack of traction control, stability and abs for $11k, to be precise). You can buy a Super Tenere for $2k more and it's twice the bike cb1100 will ever be.

To stay on topic, a first motorcycle is supposed to teach you how to ride. A top heavy bike with loads of low end torque will do NO SUCH THING. I have a friend who started on a heavy cruiser then graduated to a heavy BMW touring machine. He still can't do a U-turn in less than 3 lanes of traffic and nearly parks it around sharper corners. All because he was insecure about buying something small and light, but that's a mental issue, not a practical one. I bought a GZ250 and rode it for a year, because that's what we had at MSF and now can do figure 8 in a single traffic lane.

There is a proper tool for every job. Can you start on a cb1100? Sure. But just like forcing imperial sockets on metric bolts, it's a stupid thing to do.
 
Back
Top