Starting on a CB1100 as a first bike

omarj_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to ask the question has anyone started on a CB1100 as their first bike?

I recall reading a thread earlier where a similar question was posed, however it was from a returning rider after many years had passed that he/she decided to pick up motorcycling again.

I've read numerous articles that recommend people to not start on a liter bike whatsoever, however if I understand correctly the CB1100 is fast, but not as fast as what's considered a sports bike.

Now the reason for me wanting to start on a CB1100 is that to me it's a gorgeous bike, and it has something that just draws me to it. I know a lot of people recommend to start on a used 650/300 as a starter, but that doesn't make much economical sense to me. I'd rather just go out and buy a brand bike then having to use money to learn on something where ultimately I'd have to take extra time to sell it, and then pick up the CB1100.

However, I do understand the argument as well where it's better to start on a used bike then to drop/damage a new bike.

Ultimately I felt that it was best to ask the forum users here what their thoughts are as the question I had was tied to a specific bike, vs just categorizing liter bikes. Again from my understanding even though the CB1100 is a fast bike, it's not as powerful as compared to the liter bikes most people are referring to.

A little bit of information about me is that I'm a fresh rider, recently got my license with addition to taking the MSF course. I currently live in the Bay Area(California), and my expectation of riding this motorcycle is not to ride fast, but to just enjoy riding. Speed/Power isn't really my thing, again I really just want to enjoy the ride.

As a side note, alternatives people have told me to get instead of a CB1100 or a used bike is to look into the Rebel 500.

Any thoughts, criticism, or additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Hi Omarj.
Yeah the Rebel 500 would be great as a starter bike.
You could start on the CB1100 if you have the strength to hold the bike up at stops. Its heavy but plenty of Japanese riders bought one.
It has VERY powerful front brakes. It has LOTS of torque so it goes from a start very quickly. But one can ride it slow as it was designed by just easing the throttle open quietly for sure.
It's always best to start on a small bike just to get used to riding in traffic. But if I was just starting out and knew for sure that my goal was a CB1100, I might buy one as a first bike and get a friend to cruise me around as a passenger and show me how the bike works. I used to always ride on the back of my friend's bikes when I was just starting out.
Welcome!

omarj_imp said:
Hi Gang,

I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to ask the question has anyone started on a CB1100 as their first bike?

I recall reading a thread earlier where a similar question was posed, however it was from a returning rider after many years had passed that he/she decided to pick up motorcycling again.

I've read numerous articles that recommend people to not start on a liter bike whatsoever, however if I understand correctly the CB1100 is fast, but not as fast as what's considered a sports bike.

Now the reason for me wanting to start on a CB1100 is that to me it's a gorgeous bike, and it has something that just draws me to it. I know a lot of people recommend to start on a used 650/300 as a starter, but that doesn't make much economical sense to me. I'd rather just go out and buy a brand bike then having to use money to learn on something where ultimately I'd have to take extra time to sell it, and then pick up the CB1100.

However, I do understand the argument as well where it's better to start on a used bike then to drop/damage a new bike.

Ultimately I felt that it was best to ask the forum users here what their thoughts are as the question I had was tied to a specific bike, vs just categorizing liter bikes. Again from my understanding even though the CB1100 is a fast bike, it's not as powerful as compared to the liter bikes most people are referring to.

A little bit of information about me is that I'm a fresh rider, recently got my license with addition to taking the MSF course. I currently live in the Bay Area(California), and my expectation of riding this motorcycle is not to ride fast, but to just enjoy riding. Speed/Power isn't really my thing, again I really just want to enjoy the ride.

As a side note, alternatives people have told me to get instead of a CB1100 or a used bike is to look into the Rebel 500.

Any thoughts, criticism, or additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck
 
I wouldn't do it. It's not the power (the CB isn't even that powerful), it's the weight. Learn on something you can easily maneuver and control, then move up to a CB or other heavy bike when you have some miles and experience behind you. There's no shame in that. You might even discover that small bikes can be a lot more fun than big bikes.
 
:hello: just wanted to say Howdy and welcome to the forum
 
One of my friends first bike period was a 76 CB750. He did fine. If you are a big guy that can muscle a 550 lb bike then cautiously go for the CB1100. Just don't be angry if there is a learning mistake or two and your bike gets damaged.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl:
 
I came back to motorcycles after 20+years on bicycles in 2009. I bought a 2009 Moto Guzzi 750 Classic. Still have it. My buddy saw how much fun I was having and decided that he wanted a motorcycle also. Took the MSF class and purchased a big Honda Shadow cruiser. He had never ridden before. The weight of the bike scared him so much that in less than a year, he was riding a CanAm Spyder. I had tried to talk him into something smaller and lighter, but he wanted a BIG bike.

Start with something small, gain some confidence and skill, and then move up to the CB1100.
 
I have been riding since a kid on a mini bike and am now 61. Like many here there is lots of experience. You think it is not powerful but that is in reference to today's bikes that have 3 to 4 times the power of super bikes of 40 years ago!

Do not kid yourself! It is heavy bike and faster than a corvette! Experience will teach control, balance moderation of power and riding technique. Then comes street smarts. You are not near ready just completing the MSF class.

I am going through the same thing with a friend and as I told him no bigger than 500cc and approx 400lbs.

You will drop it probably and other beginner mistakes

You can find those that will support you desired outcome either way. But if ou were m friend I would tell you NO.

You accidentally pull the throttle on the CB you can lose control, pop the wheel up and etc

The gents here are experienced so they just have the control inherently and don't think about it.

Do what you want, you are an adult, be responsible.

But I say start with 300-500cc and when you have at least 5-10k miles and a couple of years then think about it. I would want you to have more to be honest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 
I agree with the above. I started in 2014 on a Yamaha SR400, which is light, easy to handle, dead reliable and has the same throw-back UJM vibe as the CB1100 that I purchased this year. The Yamaha is now my commuter/around town bike, and the Honda is for getting out of town. So the learning curve was not for me much of a compromise.
 
G'day omarj and welcome to the forum.
 
For me the key to this issue is where you live (the bay area of San Francisco). I was just there a few months back and its my opinion that is a tuff place to learn to ride. You have steep streets, heavy traffic, lousy road surfaces, in- ground rail systems for trolleys, lot's of stop and go traffic, heavy foot traffic and on and on. In that kind of a learning environment I can see your bike hitting the ground the first few months you have it for a variety of reasons and mistakes a new rider would make including losing your footing on loose gravel/tarmac, applying the front brake too hard in a slow speed maneuver at an off angle going into a parking lot or downhill around a curve, on an uphill while turning slowly and so on. You can get into a used CB pretty cheap these days but by the time you pay to have levers replaced, a tank, bars and so forth it gets pretty expensive.

As you can tell by some of the threads on here our members have a hard time getting money back on their pristine vanity standard cruisers (VSC). Considering that, I can't image there's a market for beat up ones. Better you get something cheap and learn on it and then invest in a VSCB1100A or VSCBDLX/RS1100.
 
Don't start on the CB, unless you want to drop and bang up your dream bike. Get something smaller and lighter and become at least a somewhat experienced street rider first. I doubt it takes you two years. I was off of my 'beginner' bike in four months. It was a 1990 HD Sportster and yes, I dropped it twice. After that, and over the years, I owned five HD big bikes and never dropped any of them.
 
The CB is heavy and it's beautiful. You'll likely drop it due to the former and hate yourself for the latter. Not impugning your skill or maturity, but even six months on a mid sized used bike would go a long way, and there's no shortage of CB's around for sale for a relative song for when you're ready. Whatever you choose to do, have fun and take it slow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Welcome Omarj!

I have a VSC :banana:

What is an ST1300?
 
Hey omarj, welcome to the forum! I understand your desire. You will love the CB1100 if you end up with it, but heed the sound advice already posted. It is a heavy machine and you are probably better off, especially in your riding environment, to pick up some street smarts on something lighter. Weight, (top heavy) will be your big problem, acceleration and braking are so controllable I wouldn't worry about those aspects. Good luck and whichever way you go keep us posted!

Ben
 
Go find a nice low mileage used CB500f it does everything so well if you find out you don't like motorcycling it's not because of the motorcycle. I got one for my wife (it's her 3rd bike) and now she loves to ride and finds excuses to ride whenever she can. I like to ride it too because it's light, it's fun, it gets crazy good gas mileage, it's perfectly smooth at 60mph and has the best turn in and neutral steering of any lightweight beginner type bike I have ever ridden. Put 5000 miles on one of these pass it on to another beginner and then go buy a nice new CB1100.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl:

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
LikeAfox_imp said:
The internet is full of people making strawmen arguments as to why they should not heed the ancient wisdom of starting on something cheap/easy/light. I'm not going to rehash this stupid argument again, not going to address your bullet points, a simple google search will tell what does and does not make a good starter bike. A cb1100 will cross every t under "do not buy" column. Whatever your reasoning may be, it's incorrect. Looks like you've done some homework and already know this.

Maybe some idiot will show up and tell you it's okay because whatever reasons. People convince themselves that driving without seatbelt is okay too. Some don't wear protective gear. Some think that drinking their own pee in the morning is the healthiest way to go. But collective riding experience of millions of riders, backed by insurance statistics, make for a pretty ironclad argument. You're welcome to disregard all that and do what you wish.

Now for actual advise.
Take MSF first and foremost.
Buy proper protective gear. Don't buy anything online because you want it to fit well, especially the helmet.
Buy a standard motorcycle, like a ninja 250. Ride it for 2 years, sell it for the exact amount of money you bought it for. It's your throwaway bike, but keep it mechanically sound.
Don't buy anything brand new because it will lose value. Also because you will cuss it up in some way or another and it will lose more value. So get something that already has scratches for bottom barrel price.
Go to demo events, ride any bike you can get your hands on. If your friends have motorcycles, try to ride em. Bikes, not friends.
Your opinion on what you actually like is subject to a wild fluctuation. In 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what kind of riding you like to do. And there is a range of bikes tailored to every type.

I'll add that a CB 1100 is a vanity standard cruiser bike that shines on short trips and is great for suburban sprawl. A jack of all trades and master of none. You like it because of it's looks, which is cool. But you don't learn to play guitar on a 12 string, I mean you welcome to it, but it won't crush your leg when you forget your kickstand on a hill. I suck at analogies :D

Good luck

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl:

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm

a what??? That's a description I've never heard before. :rofl: Well, think about it. It's a very smooth inoffensive and mediocre motorcycle. Nobody here or anywhere bought it because it excels at anything other than looking very pretty. It's made to cruise, not perform.

VSC license plate is available in my state. Hmmmm
Why do you own one of these bikes..........:rolleyes:
 
Back
Top