Stalled

Nemo_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey guys,

I'm still around, still loving my CB, not as much time as I'd like to ride it.

The other day I rode to the office and got caught on a traffic jam. The CB started "having issues" at low RPM and just when I drove into the parking garage it stalled and it wouldn't start. I would press the starter button and nothing, the hands on the instruments would go to zero and that was it. I want to think it was electrons related because the clock got cleared. Anywho... I pushed started it, rode to my parking spot and went to work. Later that day, time to go home, got on it, started like a champ and took me home without a problem.

What could've caused this condition? Would the battery get drained just for sitting in traffic? If it was battery, how come it started just fine 8 hours later? I'm perplexed by this.

Hope everybody's doing well!
 
Maybe someone has a Nemo voodoo dall and pinned it?

Stuff like that is weird. Stuff you can't easily explain. If you are still on your original battery I would do a drop test on it for condition, and check terminal tightness.

What do you mean by the clock got cleared?
 
battery would be my guess and "sometimes" that lead acid will regain some power after it sits . i still have my original battery and am hard headed when it comes to changing .
even have the original 11 YO Panasonic battery that was put into my FJ when built 6/06 in Japan and it still works great.....
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Maybe someone has a Nemo voodoo dall and pinned it?

Stuff like that is weird. Stuff you can't easily explain. If you are still on your original battery I would do a drop test on it for condition, and check terminal tightness.

What do you mean by the clock got cleared?
The clock on the instrument panel went to the default start time (12:00).
 
So there was no electricity running to it. HAs to be battery I would think.
 
Thread starter
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
If the clock went to 0 ... you didn't get juice and it reset...

I'd get a new one... Also do you keep your battery on a tender @ all..
I do, I do... Only after it died on me the first time. I'll get a new one, just to be safe.
 
Over on the Triumphrat boards, there is a classic thread (41 pages at last count) in which it was mentioned that battery tenders can show green even when the battery is failing.
 
You live in a very warm climate which causes batteries to have a short life compared to us up here where my Yuasa batteries easily last 6-7-8 years.
The battery in my Bonneville was 10 years old this year, and still good, but I had pushed my luck far enough and replaced it.
 
postoak_imp said:
Over on the Triumphrat boards, there is a classic thread (41 pages at last count) in which it was mentioned that battery tenders can show green even when the battery is failing.
We have experienced that on my son's Yamaha FZ-1, and it's something I can't explain, other than not even a BTJ can make a battery last forever and the one in his Yamaha was 6 years old. But for the most part, I trust BTJ's to keep my batteries at their best. When I get in from a ride, like I did 30 mins ago, I pull into the garage, turn off the key, park the bike on it's sidestand, climb off, plug in the BTJ, then remove my gloves, then my helmet. It's a ritual for me.
 
Did it get too hot by any chance? That could happen, if you had a lot stop and go and kept the enginge running idle.

There is an automatic switch off to prevent damages.
 
Probably unrelated but my CB did something similar last year. The engine stalled while I was waiting for the traffic signal on the freeway on-ramp to turn green. I managed to get the bike restarted but it was lugging terribly and wouldn't pull any rpm's. It felt like it was flooding. I entered the freeway and managed to get up to about 40 mph and just rode at that speed in the right lane until my exit came up 15 minutes later. The bike simply wouldn't clear out or run properly, and even holding 40 mph seemed lucky. Got home, parked it, and all was fine the next day. I never found out what happened.
 
I am no mechanic but I would wager your negative terminal needs tightening. Your symptoms describe same issue I had with a VTX.
 
My 14 STD did the same thing. Hard to start, I also got a check engine light. My battery was only 1.5 years old. I bought a lithium battery off eBay, haven't had a problem sence.
 
Thread starter
That morning I was in a lot of stop-n-go traffic. I don't think the bike overheated but it's a possibility; twas a warm morning.

I think I'll replace my batt soon but before then, I'll tighten the leads.

:thanks:
 
I would just go ahead and replace the battery. The batteries these days when they go kaput, they just go. I ride a 2013 standard and changed it out. Went to start it one day and not even a click. Put in a new one ..... and good to go!
 
Back
Top