Sprockets, sprockets, sprockets.

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Today, in full post-rally depression, I went and looked longingly at Last Blast. I won't ride it until I do some work. Have to do a major service, change the chain and sprockets, and replace the rear tyre. Sprockets are proving to be a problem. OEM from the local dealer were quoted at, in total, AUD205. So the answer to that is an aftermarket. I have been looking at JT sprockets. They (JT) don't have 2010 CB in their catalogue, but do have sprockets for '13 onwards. I surmise that '13 sprockets will suit the '10 model. A set of JT sprockets will cost AUD 90. So my plan is to rip the old sprockets off and measure them up against the diagrams provided by JT. If it looks good I will buy.

The JT part numbers I have are:
JTF 339-18
JTR 302-39

Any advice would be welcome. Both as to the sprocket choice and the work to be done. The work should be straightforward but I'm always willing to learn. I will probably change the chain slider while I'm at it. I did the brake pads recently so all OK there.

Cheers.
 
Let me see if I can figure this out for you. Do you have access to an online parts fiche? Get the stock part number for the sprockets.
This is for the 2013.

41201-MEJ-000 SPROCKET, FINAL DRIVEN (39T)

SPROCKET, DRIVE (18T)
23801-MAZ-000
 
Thread starter
Thanks Randy. I will attempt to get the Honda part numbers. The parts counter that I spoke with seemed even more confused than I was. The CB wasn't a big seller here in OZ and was discontinued with the '10 model so it has seemed to drop off the dealers radar.

Cheers.
 
Took me a while to find the drive sprocket. In their infinite wisdom they have the drive sprocket, chain and rear sprocket all on different fiches.
Front sprocket is #16

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8d85f870022e4ccd3244/transmission

Rear sprocket is #2

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8da9f870022e4ccd3254/rear-wheel

Chain is#2

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8dc1f870022e4ccd325f/swingarm
From an Australian website

Front sprocket is #16

http://shop.barryfrancis.com.au/scr...B&year=2010&model=4348&part=56109

Rear sprocket is #2

http://shop.barryfrancis.com.au/scr...B&year=2010&model=4348&part=56109

Chain is #1....OUCH!!

http://shop.barryfrancis.com.au/scr...B&year=2010&model=4348&part=56109
I'd be willing to bet that the front sprocket part number change is most likely just due to different suppliers and they should cross over with no issues. The rear sprockets are the same part number and therefore they are the same chain type. I have no clue as to why they are charging yopu guys so much for a factory chain....WOW.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Any thought to changing the gearing Ptero?
No 'Birds, I'm happy with the standard set up.

I've done some research on part numbers and the '10 numbers are:

Final driven:
41201-MEJ-000. This is identical to the '13 model.

Drive sprocket:
23801-MEJ-000. The '13 differs slightly, 23801-MAZ-000.

I feel reasonably confident that if I order '13 sprockets they will suit my '10 model. I will measure up first though.

Xyzzy, I also normally prefer OEM but at 100% markup from the Sydney dealer 'No thank you'.

Thanks Randy and all.

Cheers
Randy, not only is the chain price painful but the sprockets, as compared with, for example, JT, are also expensive. Why? Well I guess because they can.

Cheers
 
The factory rear sprocket is steel and quite durable. Most aftermarket rear sprockets are aluminum and wear out much faster. Aftermarket front sprockets are usually steel but they will not have the thick rubber armor that your stock front has. If you are not changing gearing, stay with stock parts. I have 3 front and 3 rear sprockets. To get a quality steel aftermarket rear sprocket that will last like the stock unit it will be about the same price as the stock unit. There is no aftermarket front sprocket that is built like the stock unit. Cheers.

Chip
 
I would say echo the DID comment from CIP. I got aftermarket steel sprockets sets that worked fine for the VFR but didn't keep the bike too long after so I can't opine on longevity. I didn't get the rubber damped front but I didn't really feel the difference.

Good luck. Hope you get 'er fixed and back out there. Can't have a fellow forum member depressed!
 
The JT sprockets Ptero listed are both steel sprockets.

I've been using JT replacement steel sprockets on my bikes for decades. They have always performed as well as the stock sprockets for a lot less. I measured the last set I took off the CB750 after 21K miles and there was no discernable wear, so I just put them back on.
 
I have used JT sprockets on my SS750's and expect to continue use them exclusively for my CB1100 when necessary, at least for the rear. I have run 30k plus miles with very moderate wear showing on the teeth. Very good value for an excellent quality product.
 
Thread starter
I have decided to go OEM front sprocket (T18), JT rear (T39) and a Regina Z-ring chain. I shortened and staked the chain on the bench and have removed the swingarm for chain installation. All I am now waiting for is the OEM front sprocket to arrive. I am ditching the worn Michelin PR3s and replacing them with Pirelli Angel GTs 110/160.

8723998f99ec8e90f29d8b21739da72f.jpg


22bdae81e0784da0653eb84bf79d310e.jpg


Cheers
 
It's bad news about the PR3s. I hope the Pirellis are the go.
 
Thread starter
I did, in fact, track down some PR3s but I had already committed to the Pirellis. It will be interesting to see how they go. Price differential was negligible.

Cheers
 
That new chain looks pretty schmick.
 
Back
Top