Spring is here in CT & so is Christmas!

Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
hedge, are you just going to leave that gold guard on the sprocket with no cover? Interesting.
That is correct - naked, just like my Bonneville
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Fantastic thread! Was a blast reading it all. I can only imagine how much fun it has been seeing it all come together in person!
Thanks MG - Don used your map as my starting point i dont think it will really need any more but we will see once it is on the Dyno
 
Thread starter
So I had another go at the center stand stopper and although I'm pretty certain I have it in the right place, it just wont lock down tight enough. When I take it off the center stand the stand snaps up and moves it up enough to hit the chain. I tried my best to wank it down with the included Allen head nut but ended up rounding it from applying so much pressure. So, I went down to my local hardware store with the plate and explained what happened and how much torque I will need to put on this solution - and he gave me a SS socket, nut and lockwasher. I got that home and refited the plate and really socked down the bolt. However as soon as I took it off the center stand it pushed it up and hit the chain. I decided to really wank it down and you know what? Yes, I snapped the socket head bolt.

So fearing I may never get it tight enough, I decided that if I get a bigger fatter rubber stopper, I wiil be set.
[url=http://s189.photo%20bucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/006FF157-0510-4B35-B4BD-12600485393E.jpg.html]

So that brought the center stand project to a halt. I decided to stop procrastinating and get that collector on the pipes. I enrolled my faithful helper, my wife, to assist. i got the pipes on yesterday and just snug fitted them so they would stay in place but pivot a little.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/F464FCE5-43EA-4D64-86B1-E40957653B22.jpg.html]
I then lined up all 4 pipes so they were basically squared off at the back outlets and proceeded to fit the collector on. I saw this was not a one person job so I went upstairs and got the wife and asked her to support the exhaust while I worked the collector onto all 4 pipes. We both wiggled it in a few directions and it finally slipped on and went fully in. I then bolted the tailpipe on to the original muffler holder mount. Then I got a pair of heavy duty needle nose pliers and pulled the springs on. It was amazingly easy with 2 people.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/7313625D-CC18-4DFC-B8DA-1FEEBB082132.jpg.html]
It fits and looks perfect!
Big Deal Hedge - wheres the sound clip?
Ok ok - I know what you guys want!
[url=http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z192/HedgeFundGeek/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/3DD56387-A26D-4254-A1DF-ABA18AA86043.mp4]
Im not positive that this link above is interactive so heres another one -
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/3DD56387-A26D-4254-A1DF-ABA18AA86043.mp4.html]http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/3DD56387-A26D-4254-A1DF-ABA18AA86043.mp4.html

So tomorrow I'm gonna go to the Honda dealer and try and get a larger rubber bumper for the plate. If i can get one that is about an inch thicker instead of this skinny one I will be in buisness. The only outstanding items now are the completion of the centerstand stopper and the installation of the front Posh turn signals.
 
Picture link works fine, Hedge. Excellent work and a great thread. And the bike sounds fantastic.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the Kudos fellas! I have participated in enough forums to know three things. . .
1. Fully describe what your doing
2. Fully explain how your doing it
3. Provide enough pictures to get the point across

Im going over to the Honda dealer today to get the new centerstand bumper. While I'm there i will replace the key I bent in the seat lock, buy a oil change kit and discuss with my salesman why when I opened up my factory tool kit I only found this -
 
Apparently you didn't read the how to remove seat and battery box How To huh? More guys have bent that key leaving it in the seat lock.

Those are all the tools we get in the US. The rest of the world gets the tools you posted in the picture.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Apparently you didn't read the how to remove seat and battery box How To huh? More guys have bent that key leaving it in the seat lock.

Those are all the tools we get in the US. The rest of the world gets the tools you posted in the picture.
Apparently your right - did they post pictures on how to bend the key or should I?
 
Now that's funny right there! :)

And if you want, you can order the rest of the tools on-line or at your dealer. Or just add your own better tools...

Edited as I can't spell on-line.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Now that's funny right there! :)

And if you want, you can order the rest of the tools on-line or at your dealer. Or just add your own better tools...

Edited as I can't spell on-line.
Thanks Pop - I will bring this up with the dealer at lunch time and see what he says! After buying 2 new bikes from him he might just fill that pouch . . .
 
Thread starter
So just came from the dealer and played dumb showing him my picture and dumping the 4 items out on his desk. He scratched his head and said that sucks! He called the parts guy and told him to order me the complete set - free of charge! He also ordered me a new key blank at a discount.
Moving right along!
Back to the center stand rubber bumper stop . . . I realized that the plate they sent me wants to orientate itself in a certain position and will lock to that top position. I was trying to lower it so the slim rubber would not hit the chain. I surrendered and circled back from behind and decide to add a larger rubber bumper! So here is a comparison to what I had and what I made myself.

Here are the parts I bought at my local hardware store to do this . . .
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/0122DEB0-5393-4952-9D24-BD4D1329B55E.jpg.html]
Here is how it looks installed with the bike on its center stand . . .
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/B6AE69A2-26AB-413C-846B-F52C34566CA3.jpg.html]
and finally here is the completed job with the bike off the center stand
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/9904A87D-111F-4AD2-9281-C18954C7D8CD.jpg.html]
This job is done!
The only outstanding modification left is the front turn signals and since it is raining today through Friday I will begin this. Hopefully the weather will break over the weekend and I can get the bike out for the first ride and break in period.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Nice work on that bumper!
Thx Mick - sometimes ya just gotta look at it in a different way. I usually take a step back and try and take some time off to keep from grabing the Dremel! :D
So I got back at it after quickly reading the service manual. I dropped the headlight from the clamp and let it dangle from the harness. I then peared into the factory turn signals which showed me that it was attached with an Allen bolt. I tried to get a socket wrench with extention onto it but after several failures I just went to a standard allen wrench. Both turn signals unscrewed easily. I then opened up the headlight to trace out the wires. I was happily surprised, when I removed the lens to see a managable wiring harness. For those that have tried to work inside a Bonneville headlight you will remember how tight, stuffed and difficult it is to work the wires in and out of the back of the headlight. Anyway, the Honda is very manageable. I was happy to find the color coded Blue for left signal and Orange for right signal in there and right in front!

I disconnected the turn signals and easily pulled them through and put both of them away with the rears. I was now left with these mounts to think about how I will fabricate the fit. As most of you already know, the factory hole is size 6 and the Posh are size 8. This will present no problem for me because I will simply drill out the holes like all before me.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/B0924A06-B79A-4843-BA37-7D7B2BB5449B.jpg.html]
I will push the Posh's through the hole and sock them in place with a washer, lock washer and bolt . . . Not forgetting the RTV Blue. Then run the wires back into the harness, plug them in and electrical tape them in place like I did with the rear.
Meanwhile, why I had the headlight off you know I swapped out the 55/60 factory bulb for a 55/100 H4 Famethrower!
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/7DCC2093-2226-4F06-9624-2AAD6D767B3F.jpg.html]
The only thing tricky about the swap is pulling off the rubber dust cover. After you get it off, just replace the bulb (and do not touch the bulb with your bare hands, the skin oil will at best shorten the life, at worse burn it out immediately) here is how the spring is reassembled.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/B5F9BEA9-92ED-43E5-9E14-8B58CAF72C30.jpg.html]
And finally with the rubber dust cover back on. Please note on the rubber dust cover there is a "Top" stamped on it. Notice the orientation.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/04FA7A4A-F78D-4D12-A548-07A461313BD3.jpg.html]
Tomorror I go back to my local hardware store and get my metal drill bit and anchoring hardware.
 
Thread starter
So I finished her completely. With the help of Lola & Mjezek I got the Posh front turn signals done. I thought I had done something wrong because after locking them down, running the wires, and connecting everything in what I thought was correct, I turned them on for a test before I buttoned the headlight back up. Everything worked perfectly. The front and back blinkers flashed correctly and stopped correctly. However, when I turned the Bike on the front signals lit up, kinda like running lights but the backs were off. I scratched my head and reversed the wiring but it did the same thing. I contacted Lola & Mjezek and described what I was seeing. They both got back to me laughing. I had wired everything correctly and the front signals are suppose to be on and the backs are not. So everything was Kosher!

So that beong resolved I buttoned her back up. Lets quickly go back to mounting the front Posh's. I went to my local hardware store and bought SS fender washers, washers, lock washers and nuts. I also bought a 24/64 metal drill bit and a an of black spray paint. I had electrical tape already.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/07727749-B2AE-4BBA-A2A8-E4C47FC0164B.jpg.html]
I painted everything the night before and the next day it was dry and came out nice and a good match. I took the drill and carefully made the holes larger. They are now 10mm Fine. I threaded the wires through the thredded metal and dropped the big fender washer on and put it through the new holes. I found out that there was not enough room to get the second fender waher, washer, and lock washer in the other end so I just put the fender washer on and a bunch of RTV Blue and then put the nut on and hand tightened them in place. I then connected the wires and taped them all up.
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/57D4A803-B490-4027-BAF3-7EA93E3DDAFD.jpg.html]
[url=http://s189.photobucket.com/user/HedgeFundGeek/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-04/F412885D-B0B7-41CE-A0E0-59EC2E9D75E7.jpg.html]
I retested the signals again to make sure they worked and then I positioned and tightened the turn signals in place. I buttoned up the headlight with the new H4 bulb in it. Then I adjusted the light to the proper hight and locked it in. I slapped on the plate and waited for the temperture to hit 50 and I took her out for the Maiden breakin. Thats it for this thread . . . save answering any question and thanking all that helped me with the details I didnt understand! :thanks:
 
Yea those running lights have gotten a few of the members.

Excellent work, and excellent documenting pics and words. You will have to let us know how that new h4 bulb is.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yea those running lights have gotten a few of the members.

Excellent work, and excellent documenting pics and words. You will have to let us know how that new h4 bulb is.
Yeah Mick - what through me was why would the fronts come on but not the backs? If it is a USA safety thing you would think they would make it use all 4 as running lights instead of just the front 2. Go figure!
FYI - you can find my Ride Report in "Seat Time"
 
Back
Top