Spotted DLX.

I'm surprised he let you walk up to his house and start taking pics, especially of his plate, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Do you mean his license plate? Please forgive me for being so naive, but what's so telling about someone's license plate? People see it every time the bike is ridden. Mine's "172 WQI" (Colorado). Anyone else care to share theirs?

 
LongRanger_imp said:
Do you mean his license plate? Please forgive me for being so naive, but what's so telling about someone's license plate? People see it every time the bike is ridden. Mine's "172 WQI" (Colorado). Anyone else care to share theirs?



I love those Colorado motorcycle plates with the green/white/silver and mountains. (sigh) I moved from CO to IN 5 years ago and now my IN plate is black numbers/letters on white background. My old CO plates with the mountains are in a drawer. :rolleyes:
 
Yep
.
I always wondered the same thing.

Many folks will obscure their license plate when posting a picture, but I never figured out why.
.
.
Here's one of mine....
.
.
23b5d4c255f90bb651e88a70c8292fef.jpg
 
Vic, I feel your pain. I lived in NW Indiana for two years for grad school. Good times for sure, but I'm more comfortable out here.

You'd be stunned at the variety of CO plates these days. There are literally dozens of vanity plate styles for cars and bikes, each with its own unique vivid color combination. Seems the standard "green on white" is in the minority anymore.
 
Thread starter
uscgmac_imp said:
I'm surprised he let you walk up to his house and start taking pics, especially of his plate, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yeah we aren't scared out here in CA.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Vic, I feel your pain. I lived in NW Indiana for two years for grad school. Good times for sure, but I'm more comfortable out here.

You'd be stunned at the variety of CO plates these days. There are literally dozens of vanity plate styles for cars and bikes, each with its own unique vivid color combination. Seems the standard "green on white" is in the minority anymore.
That is really surprising with what they are sticking it to us for plates these days. No way am I giving them one thin dime more than necessary. When I first got my CB I almost went into shock when the DMV told me 600 clams for a license plate. And the dang thing wasn't even gold plated!!
 
Doug_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Vic, I feel your pain. I lived in NW Indiana for two years for grad school. Good times for sure, but I'm more comfortable out here.

You'd be stunned at the variety of CO plates these days. There are literally dozens of vanity plate styles for cars and bikes, each with its own unique vivid color combination. Seems the standard "green on white" is in the minority anymore.
That is really surprising with what they are sticking it to us for plates these days. No way am I giving them one thin dime more than necessary. When I first got my CB I almost went into shock when the DMV told me 600 clams for a license plate. And the dang thing wasn't even gold plated!!
D#%@! You're getting robbed. I'd love to know how CO justifies charging that much for tags/registration.
 
some states (like Kentucky for example) tax on the value of the vehicle every year, which you have to pay in order to get current plates. They are not really charging that for the plate itself which is actually $21, but the 6 % tax on the vehicles actual value

Kentucky Vehicle Registration Fees
Kentucky has fixed fees for registration and titling of your vehicle. You will also need to pay your usage tax based on a percentage of your vehicle price. Here is a general list of fees, but you will need to contact your county clerk's office to find out exactly what the costs will be.
Title fee: $9.
Speed title: $25 (available if you would like to get a title the next day).
Transfer fee: $17.
Yearly car registration fee: $21.
Title lien statement fee: $22.
Notary fee: Varies depending on county.
Vehicle inspection fee: $5.
Usage tax: 6% of the cost of the vehicle.
 
It's not a huge deal to show your plate especially on the CB1100 being that it is not a targeted vehicle but some people are more private than others. Given the proper resources a person can find out where you live and possibly steal your bike. When it's put out on the Internet it's much easier for someone to see it and target it. This is much more of a problem with sport bikes. The CB is a low risk vehicle. When guys do YouTube videos they may have more than just the bike showing such as their house, expensive cars, family members, xpensive belongings. It's not hard to get a person with the right resources to run your plate and find out where you keep all your goodies. When your out in town and someone sees your plate, they don't see everything else you own. This is a known fact and it has happend before. Certain biker clubs have been known to get plate info from high end Harleys and they have disappeared soon after. That is why for all who asked.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I've been guilty of showing my plate also and I understand some of you don't care. I was just saying that when taking pics of a strangers bike especially what looked like at his home, he might care. Some might some might not. Some of you guys including myself own more than one bike and if someone wants something bad enough they will get it. Showing your plate just gives them one more resource.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
The ferret_imp said:
some states (like Kentucky for example) tax on the value of the vehicle every year, which you have to pay in order to get current plates. They are not really charging that for the plate itself which is actually $21, but the 6 % tax on the vehicles actual value

Kentucky Vehicle Registration Fees
Kentucky has fixed fees for registration and titling of your vehicle. You will also need to pay your usage tax based on a percentage of your vehicle price. Here is a general list of fees, but you will need to contact your county clerk's office to find out exactly what the costs will be.
Title fee: $9.
Speed title: $25 (available if you would like to get a title the next day).
Transfer fee: $17.
Yearly car registration fee: $21.
Title lien statement fee: $22.
Notary fee: Varies depending on county.
Vehicle inspection fee: $5.
Usage tax: 6% of the cost of the vehicle.
Oh, Ok. Here in Pa it's Sales tax at purchase and then 18.00 a year for registration after that. There is no yearly tax on the value of the vehicle like some states do.
 
DMV info is held very closely. You'd have to be a LEO or a dispatcher to run a plate to find out ownership info. The average Joe ain't going to get any info from your plate.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
DMV info is held very closely. You'd have to be a LEO or a dispatcher to run a plate to find out ownership info. The average Joe ain't going to get any info from your plate.
The average Joe may have a friend that will. Happens all the time. Just saying. What you do with your plate is your business. My original comment is about posting up a strangers plate and how they might react.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
Anyway, I think I've gotten way off subject. Back to original post, nice deluxe. I've seen one on long island and he's a member on this forum

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
 
uscgmac_imp said:
ClassicVW_imp said:
DMV info is held very closely. You'd have to be a LEO or a dispatcher to run a plate to find out ownership info. The average Joe ain't going to get any info from your plate.
The average Joe may have a friend that will. Happens all the time. Just saying. What you do with your plate is your business. My original comment is about posting up a strangers plate and how they might react.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
The average Joe may have a friend that will. Happens all the time. Just saying. What you do with your plate is your business. My original comment is about posting up a strangers plate and how they might react.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Please cite your proof examples where this "happens all the time". Access to that info is more strictly controlled for about the past 10 years. And it's regularly audited. I've been questioned a couple of times when I didn't have a computer entry or a paper report covering something I accessed. There was a valid explanation each time that I was able to satisfy the inquiry, but my point is, it was noticed and questioned by someone from somewhere above my agency, I won't say where. Do privacy violations still occur? Yes. But to think a gang of motorcycle thieves is going to have a LEO friend that's on the inside run M/C plates they see on the internet so they can go steal them is a bit far fetched. If anyone thinks that's happening, I'll send them some tin-foil to line their hat with.
 
Yes it has happend and I'm not going to go into all the info but it can be looked up. I am very familiar in this area as you are. And no it is not far fetched.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
There has been multiple cases of misuse of department computers over the years in my department alone. I'm sure other departments have had a few. Doesn't happen all the time but it has happend. The dmv employees obviously have access and now there are online websites that offer the info if you pay for it. I don't personally worry about it myself but if I had some high end cars or something else of interest which was expensive then I might.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Do you need my address, I could use some extra tin foil for my hat and next BBQ, lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top