Sport Touring?

In reply to the OP: I've had three c.400 mile days (one in which it rained all day) on the CB without any particular difficulty and without a windscreen. I'm adding a Dart windscreen for my trip to Deal's Gap and possibly highway pegs, but that wont be until the end of April which will likely be after you decide on which bikes you want to keep.m I have to say that the ST is definitely the better bike for longer trips, but the CB holds its own even without modification. With a few mods, it will serve as a more than competent sport tourer.
 
Wow Jheck10, you and I must be twin brothers from different parents ;-)
I too own a ST1300, and owned a VFR800 and a CB750 too.
While the VFR800 and CB750 are gone, they are not forgotten.
I do not own a CB1100 (yet) but I suspect I will use it for the same kinds of riding I used the VFR800 and CB750, canyons and commuting.
The ST1300 is my "ride to Montana for a cup of coffee" bike. I've ridded 985 days (Los Angeles to Corvallis OR) on my ST and she's the right tool for eating up miles and miles of interstate. She can be hussled through the canyons too.
TINK

Jheck10_imp said:
Hello,

I'll make this short and to the point... I've got an ST1300 for over night trips, a vfr800 for all day trips, and a cb750 (that I absolutely love) for trips around town. Here's my question, how does the CB1100 suit you for all day and over night trips? I'm considering a CB1100 and selling the ST and VFR. I love the vintage look, and appreciate the modern performance and reliability. Good idea? I'm particularly interested in feedback from those of you that have set up and taken your CB11 on multi-day trips... What are the pros and cons of the CB compared to a more conventional sport Touring bike?

Thanks!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Truth is and any long distance rider will tell you this, any iron Butt rider, AAA etc, no matter how fast you ride ( or think you are riding) you can only average 50-55 mph traveling freeways, less off the freeways. Take the length of the trip, divide it by 50 or 55, and that will tell you how many hours on the road you will have to ride in order to accomplish your goal. Ole can do 1000 miles in 18 hours because that figures out to 55 mph. ( most iron Butt riders figure 19 hours for 1000 miles)

A 400 mile day is about 8 hours in the saddle. That's a full day of riding, and a repeatable day. However if you want to do some backroads, see some sights, figure 10 hours for that same 400 miles.
that is right, 50 - 55 MPH on freeway is the average speed. By coincident, 50 MPH is the optimum speed for the CB1100, I can ride it all day long. One can ride 80 MPH for an hr or so, but not all day.
Houtman_imp said:
The longest trip in 24 hours (in a car pulling a trailer ) was when I bought a 1995 CB1000 in Orlando FL ,living in Asheville NC. It was 1204 miles and my wife thought that I was crazy and too cheap to stay a night in a hotel.
motorcycle is suitable for around town, something like 250 miles trip. I don't want to do a one way 400 miles just because sometime I want to take a quick nap and can't sleep on my butt against the tree. Car is more suitable for long trip.
 
I think what Ferret and others mean is by the time to stop to refuel several times per day, stop to poop and pee, stop for a good lunch break and a late snake and coffee, your time on the road traveling 70 per hr is cut way down because of the hr+ you loose stopping for necessities. Many rider like to put a long distance ride as a feather in their cap. I have done 1 coast to coaster on a Goldwing and 8-9 times by P/U truck, had a blast on every trip.
 
Lol right..ride at 80 mph all you like. After 400 or 500 miles, add up the miles, divide by the hours you spent on the road, and you will be doing great if you traveled 55 miles for every hour you spent on the road. Sad fact of life.
 
Thread starter
Hey Tink, Now if you tell me that you've also owned a BMW K1200RS, I'm really going to think we're twins. :-)

TINK_imp said:
Wow Jheck10, you and I must be twin brothers from different parents ;-)
I too own a ST1300, and owned a VFR800 and a CB750 too.
While the VFR800 and CB750 are gone, they are not forgotten.
I do not own a CB1100 (yet) but I suspect I will use it for the same kinds of riding I used the VFR800 and CB750, canyons and commuting.
The ST1300 is my "ride to Montana for a cup of coffee" bike. I've ridded 985 days (Los Angeles to Corvallis OR) on my ST and she's the right tool for eating up miles and miles of interstate. She can be hussled through the canyons too.
TINK

Jheck10_imp said:
Hello,

I'll make this short and to the point... I've got an ST1300 for over night trips, a vfr800 for all day trips, and a cb750 (that I absolutely love) for trips around town. Here's my question, how does the CB1100 suit you for all day and over night trips? I'm considering a CB1100 and selling the ST and VFR. I love the vintage look, and appreciate the modern performance and reliability. Good idea? I'm particularly interested in feedback from those of you that have set up and taken your CB11 on multi-day trips... What are the pros and cons of the CB compared to a more conventional sport Touring bike?

Thanks!
Ferret, You are right on the money. My longest day to date has been Austin to Omaha. 825 miles on the aforementioned BMW K1200RS in 15 hours. Truth be told, I don't think I'm cut out to do the Iron Butt thing. Never have I done 500 miles and thought to myself; "Darn, do I really have to stop now, have a beer, and watch SportsCenter?"

The ferret_imp said:
Lol right..ride at 80 mph all you like. After 400 or 500 miles, add up the miles, divide by the hours you spent on the road, and you will be doing great if you traveled 55 miles for every hour you spent on the road. Sad fact of life.
 
Yep, I've traveled a fair about and if you can average 50 to 55 miles per hour your doing pretty well.

I can do 500 miles in a day the second day is the problem. Stringing them together is the problem but then again I AM 67 years of age.

On a motorcycle? No way. Local use only
 
New York to my home in North Carolina 640 door-to-door 10 hours and 10 minutes This was on a 1999 XX Blackbird Also did it twice on my ST 12hours 2006 Nissan 350 Z 8 hours and 22 minutes
 
CIP57_imp said:
New York to my home in North Carolina 640 door-to-door 10 hours and 10 minutes This was on a 1999 XX Blackbird Also did it twice on my ST 12hours 2006 Nissan 350 Z 8 hours and 22 minutes
I have a home in Pleasant Garden NC just south of Greensboro, I'll be moving there late this year but I will be spending more time there this spring and summer. Sounds like you might be near me, it took me 9 hrs to drive a rental car up to Freehold to visit relatives. I now have my NC700XDCT there for local errands. I will be driving my P/U at least twice this yr from AZ to NC. Prolly done it 5 times already. The only thing that bothers me about the trip is it costs $1500, airplane is $300 and saves 2 days. But I can't get motorcycles, tools and guns on D plane.
 
soggybottom_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
New York to my home in North Carolina 640 door-to-door 10 hours and 10 minutes This was on a 1999 XX Blackbird Also did it twice on my ST 12hours 2006 Nissan 350 Z 8 hours and 22 minutes
I have a home in Pleasant Garden NC just south of Greensboro, I'll be moving there late this year but I will be spending more time there this spring and summer. Sounds like you might be near me, it took me 9 hrs to drive a rental car up to Freehold to visit relatives. I now have my NC700XDCT there for local errands. I will be driving my P/U at least twice this yr from AZ to NC. Prolly done it 5 times already. The only thing that bothers me about the trip is it costs $1500, airplane is $300 and saves 2 days. But I can't get motorcycles, tools and guns on D plane.
I have a home in Pleasant Garden NC just south of Greensboro, I'll be moving there late this year but I will be spending more time there this spring and summer. Sounds like you might be near me, it took me 9 hrs to drive a rental car up to Freehold to visit relatives. I now have my NC700XDCT there for local errands. I will be driving my P/U at least twice this yr from AZ to NC. Prolly done it 5 times already. The only thing that bothers me about the trip is it costs $1500, airplane is $300 and saves 2 days. But I can't get motorcycles, tools and guns on D plane. I'm on the coast in Wilmington, bought in 2003. We make the trip down 5 or 6 times a year, usually driving it twice. Not ready for retirement yet, we bring things down each trip. Hopefully by the time I'm ready it will just be one rental trailer for bikes and other items.
 
CIP57_imp said:
New York to my home in North Carolina 640 door-to-door 10 hours and 10 minutes This was on a 1999 XX Blackbird Also did it twice on my ST 12hours 2006 Nissan 350 Z 8 hours and 22 minutes
Man, that is humping it in the Nissan. Cutting 2 hours off the fastest motorcycle time...640 miles in 8 1/3 hours.... figure 1 gas stop @ 350 miles, figure at least 1 extra pee stop if you relieved once at first gas stop, figure 1 fast food drive thru stop and still average over 75 mph....that's Cannonball Rally ....Vanishing Point....Smokey and the Bandit driving :banana: yeeehaw baby! Varooooooooooooom
 
Jheck10_imp said:
Hello,

I'll make this short and to the point... I've got an ST1300 for over night trips, a vfr800 for all day trips, and a cb750 (that I absolutely love) for trips around town. Here's my question, how does the CB1100 suit you for all day and over night trips? I'm considering a CB1100 and selling the ST and VFR. I love the vintage look, and appreciate the modern performance and reliability. Good idea? I'm particularly interested in feedback from those of you that have set up and taken your CB11 on multi-day trips... What are the pros and cons of the CB compared to a more conventional sport Touring bike?

Thanks!
At the beginning of August last year I took a 9 day 3,757 mile trip on the CB...
It performed flawlessly in all conditions: 100+ degree dust storm in the panhandle of Ok. USA, 35 degree freezing rain and snow at 12,000 feet elev in Co USA, in the high winds at 14,160 feet elev of the highest paved road in North America (Mount Evans Co.), to the Desert of Az. USA and from the twisties of the "Million Dollar Highway 550" to the straight slabbing of the interstates. Very dependable and adequate motorcycle. I went 162 miles on a tank once(not by choice). I filled it up and figured 50 miles to the gallon. That was during a stretch of highway where speeds didn't surpass 65mph much if any. When slabbing it on the interstate at 72 mph- 76 ish it burns much more of course.
 
The ferret_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
New York to my home in North Carolina 640 door-to-door 10 hours and 10 minutes This was on a 1999 XX Blackbird Also did it twice on my ST 12hours 2006 Nissan 350 Z 8 hours and 22 minutes
Man, that is humping it in the Nissan. Cutting 2 hours off the fastest motorcycle time...640 miles in 8 1/3 hours.... figure 1 gas stop @ 350 miles, figure at least 1 extra pee stop if you relieved once at first gas stop, figure 1 fast food drive thru stop and still average over 75 mph....that's Cannonball Rally ....Vanishing Point....Smokey and the Bandit driving :banana: yeeehaw baby! Varooooooooooooom
Man, that is humping it in the Nissan. Cutting 2 hours off the fastest motorcycle time...640 miles in 8 1/3 hours.... figure 1 gas stop @ 350 miles, figure at least 1 extra pee stop if you relieved once at first gas stop, figure 1 fast food drive thru stop and still average over 75 mph....that's Cannonball Rally ....Vanishing Point....Smokey and the Bandit driving :banana: yeeehaw baby! Varooooooooooooom
LMAO I've made this trip at least 50 times, that's my best. Leave at 2:00AM and arrive at 10:22 I was alone averaging 90-100 except Virgina where over 80 the get you for reckless speeding (misdemeanor) charge which requires an attorney ( ask me how i know :) There is a stretch from 95 into Wilmington I-40 ( 100 Mi ) where i would cruise at 120-130 slowing down at exit ramps

 
That car is soooo cool! Dayum. I'll bet bugs feel privileged to get smashed into that windshield.


Oh and apologies to OP for thread hijack
 
buck80mph_imp said:
Jheck10_imp said:
Hello,

I'll make this short and to the point... I've got an ST1300 for over night trips, a vfr800 for all day trips, and a cb750 (that I absolutely love) for trips around town. Here's my question, how does the CB1100 suit you for all day and over night trips? I'm considering a CB1100 and selling the ST and VFR. I love the vintage look, and appreciate the modern performance and reliability. Good idea? I'm particularly interested in feedback from those of you that have set up and taken your CB11 on multi-day trips... What are the pros and cons of the CB compared to a more conventional sport Touring bike?

Thanks!
At the beginning of August last year I took a 9 day 3,757 mile trip on the CB...
It performed flawlessly in all conditions: 100+ degree dust storm in the panhandle of Ok. USA, 35 degree freezing rain and snow at 12,000 feet elev in Co USA, in the high winds at 14,160 feet elev of the highest paved road in North America (Mount Evans Co.), to the Desert of Az. USA and from the twisties of the "Million Dollar Highway 550" to the straight slabbing of the interstates. Very dependable and adequate motorcycle. I went 162 miles on a tank once(not by choice). I filled it up and figured 50 miles to the gallon. That was during a stretch of highway where speeds didn't surpass 65mph much if any. When slabbing it on the interstate at 72 mph- 76 ish it burns much more of course.
Sounds a lot like what I have planned in late August. From Oregon to New Mexico through California and Arizona and back to Oregon through Colorado Utah and Idaho. Should be a helluva time.

Here's my setup:

 
Ridem32_imp said:
Nice dogfart. You need RETLETS before you take your trip! :). Also is your brake lever bent?
Let me just say don't take a bike off the center stand when you've been drinking. Fortunately it had a soft landing and the brake lever was the only thing that was damaged in any way, not a scratch otherwise. Took it off and bent it back a bit in a vise, but I was hesitant to bend it more for fear of it breaking. It's ergonomically sound as it is so I've left it.

EDIT: Also, WTF is RETLETS?
 
It's rubber thingies that fit on the tips of your clutch & brake levers! There is a big thread about them. You got to get you some. Glad it only bent your brake lever. :)
 
Ridem32_imp said:
It's rubber thingies that fit on the tips of your clutch & brake levers! There is a big thread about them. You got to get you some. Glad it only bent your brake lever. :)
You're right, I do need those little rubber lever end thingies. I bet they improve the balance and would have kept it from tipping over in the first place.
 
Well if nothing else the sticky rubber might have given you the edge to hold on and keep from dropping the bike.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top