Sport Touring?

Jheck10_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello,

I'll make this short and to the point... I've got an ST1300 for over night trips, a vfr800 for all day trips, and a cb750 (that I absolutely love) for trips around town. Here's my question, how does the CB1100 suit you for all day and over night trips? I'm considering a CB1100 and selling the ST and VFR. I love the vintage look, and appreciate the modern performance and reliability. Good idea? I'm particularly interested in feedback from those of you that have set up and taken your CB11 on multi-day trips... What are the pros and cons of the CB compared to a more conventional sport Touring bike?

Thanks!
 
There are several of us that have ST 1300 s as well as CB 1100s. There really is no comparison for long distance travel. The ST wins hands down. Superior wind protection, built in storage, gasoline range, shaft drive, more power.

The CB can do a yeomans job of shorter tours set up with a small shield, tank bag, soft saddlebags and a tailbag if there is not a ton of freeway work involved, but It's no ST.

I have traveled on both. Here are a couple ride reports.

CB ride reports

Mens fall ride 2013

BRP, the Dragon and more part 1
BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2

ST ride report

ST 1300 ride..7 states..1957 miles
 
I use my CB for 60 to 90 minutes rides around our local back roads.
My 1986 Ninja 900 was much better at long distance 80 MPH highway riding, but I don't do that any more
So, love my CB for what I use it for.
 
I've done a couple 415 mile days on my CB with a National Cycle Deflector Screen @70-80 MPH going from LA to SF up 101 and back for Thanksgiving. Went much better than I had expected. It was cold in the morning, downside of little wind protection, but that was my fault for under dressing. Stock seat was fine for 150 mike tanks. Granted the only other bike Ive put many miles on was an 85 Shadow 500, so let's not pretend I'm that experienced.
 
400 mile day is a serious day, no matter what you are riding.
 
I use CB1100 for fun Sunday rides in the Texas Hill country.
I use F6B for fun rides across Texas.
I use FJR for run rides across the country.
And when I feel nostalgic I ride 1975 CB750 or 1978 CB550 around the city.

Actually your bike can be anything you want it to be, just set it up to your liking.
 
I thought the CB would be or could be my touring machine. Once I raise the seat and or lower the pegs she could do so. But the Griso still gets the nod. The CB gets better mileage but the Griso motor is such a locomotive....... sigh.

But if I ever get to do road trips again - probably when I retire; it just may be a third bike. I've toured on a 125, a 360 and a 550; bigger bikes rock for their extra room (I'm tall), smaller bikes for their nice light weight.
 
Thread starter
cbfan_imp said:
I use CB1100 for fun Sunday rides in the Texas Hill country.
I use F6B for fun rides across Texas.
I use FJR for run rides across the country.
And when I feel nostalgic I ride 1975 CB750 or 1978 CB550 around the city.

Actually your bike can be anything you want it to be, just set it up to your liking.
Hey cbfan, We're on the same page:
I use CB750 for fun Sunday rides in the Texas Hill country.
I use VFR for fun rides across Texas.
I use ST1300 for run rides across the country.
The ferret_imp said:
There are several of us that have ST 1300 s as well as CB 1100s. There really is no comparison for long distance travel. The ST wins hands down. Superior wind protection, built in storage, gasoline range, shaft drive, more power.

The CB can do a yeomans job of shorter tours set up with a small shield, tank bag, soft saddlebags and a tailbag if there is not a ton of freeway work involved, but It's no ST.

I have traveled on both. Here are a couple ride reports.

CB ride reports

Mens fall ride 2013

BRP, the Dragon and more part 1
BRP, the Dragon and more Part 2

ST ride report

ST 1300 ride..7 states..1957 miles
Thank you Ferret for pointing me to your trip reports. Very interesting reading and reminded me a lot of the fall trips I've taken with buddies to Deals Gap, Ky, and Colorado. I think for my purposes, the CB is going to replace the VFR in the garage, but I'll probably wait for the 14 model. although I only ride the ST a couple of times a year, I agree, it can't be beat for what it does.
 
The ferret_imp said:
400 mile day is a serious day, no matter what you are riding.
ferret old buddy, 400 miles on some of my long rides will only get me to about noon. I have done so many 1000 mile days, I quit counting them
 
Elipten, I'm retired so I have all sorts of time to ride. Most Sundays mornings a small group of various machines and personalities ride out to Bandera for breakfast and then ride the hills abit. If you're a throttle jockey you may be bored with us as we do the speed limit most of the time and my wife is still in semi-rookie status on her Suzuki S40 so we lean on the conservative side. But do enjoy the great weather coming up, tomorrow mid 70's and mostly sun.
 
Ole_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
400 mile day is a serious day, no matter what you are riding.
ferret old buddy, 400 miles on some of my long rides will only get me to about noon. I have done so many 1000 mile days, I quit counting them
ferret old buddy, 400 miles on some of my long rides will only get me to about noon. I have done so many 1000 mile days, I quit counting them
Ole, how long does it take you to do 1000 miles?

I'm with the Ferret: 400 miles is a serious day.
By the way Ferret, thanks for the links to the earlier ride reports. I enjoyed them. Good work and good fun by the sound of them.
 
I have done 750 to 850 miles per day, sun up to sun down, 3 days straight, that would be all interstate and prefer a Goldwing for that kind of mileage.
 
Most of my serious touring was back in the day when 55mph was the national limit which made a 400-500 mile day a long day. Today, all my equipment is new and improved - except me. 4-500 miles still sounds like a good trek.

Now if I had a Wing....... :)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
400 mile day is a serious day, no matter what you are riding.
ferret old buddy, 400 miles on some of my long rides will only get me to about noon. I have done so many 1000 mile days, I quit counting them
ferret old buddy, 400 miles on some of my long rides will only get me to about noon. I have done so many 1000 mile days, I quit counting them
Ole, how long does it take you to do 1000 miles?

I'm with the Ferret: 400 miles is a serious day.
By the way Ferret, thanks for the links to the earlier ride reports. I enjoyed them. Good work and good fun by the sound of them.
I will have to give you some background. I live in the flatlands of Wisconsin. I am addicted to mountains. Do you see a problem here? My Denver Colorado cousin lives exactly 927 miles from my home. My St. Mary Montana cousin lives exactly 1406 miles from my home. I have made dozens of trips to each one. :D
With the proper mental preparation, I can do 1000 miles in 18 hours easy.
And with the same preparation, I can make my Montana cousin in 24 hours but that means dodging deer in The Dakota's at night something I don't enjoy. This is high speed interstate most of the way, I do get pinched once in awhile for speeding but that is the price we pay.
 
Truth is and any long distance rider will tell you this, any iron Butt rider, AAA etc, no matter how fast you ride ( or think you are riding) you can only average 50-55 mph traveling freeways, less off the freeways. Take the length of the trip, divide it by 50 or 55, and that will tell you how many hours on the road you will have to ride in order to accomplish your goal. Ole can do 1000 miles in 18 hours because that figures out to 55 mph. ( most iron Butt riders figure 19 hours for 1000 miles)

A 400 mile day is about 8 hours in the saddle. That's a full day of riding, and a repeatable day. However if you want to do some backroads, see some sights, figure 10 hours for that same 400 miles.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Truth is and any long distance rider will tell you this, any iron Butt rider, AAA etc, no matter how fast you ride ( or think you are riding) you can only average 50-55 mph traveling freeways, less off the freeways. Take the length of the trip, divide it by 50 or 55, and that will tell you how many hours on the road you will have to ride in order to accomplish your goal. Ole can do 1000 miles in 18 hours because that figures out to 55 mph. ( most iron Butt riders figure 19 hours for 1000 miles)

A 400 mile day is about 8 hours in the saddle. That's a full day of riding, and a repeatable day. However if you want to do some backroads, see some sights, figure 10 hours for that same 400 miles.
That is pretty much spot on. I have done a few 400 mile days and was 10 hours give or take and I was beat. Didnt help it was on a rigid mount Sportster either.
 
Thanks for the replies Ole and Ferret. I have to do a bit of translation. The only 400 mile ride I've done since I took up riding again took me a good ten hours with the various stops and starts associated with a charity ride and getting there and back. I've occasionally done 500 miles/day solo in a car which is also in the region of 8-10 hours depending on stops. It's repeatable, but not all that much fun.

More importantly, perhaps, I agree that mountains are good, although the highest mountain in Australia is a mere 7310 feet, so we're not endowed with the spectacular piles of rock that grace North (and South) America.
 
The longest trip in 24 hours (in a car pulling a trailer ) was when I bought a 1995 CB1000 in Orlando FL ,living in Asheville NC. It was 1204 miles and my wife thought that I was crazy and too cheap to stay a night in a hotel.
 
Back
Top