Spoked wheels, problem

superfebo_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi, I've a problem: on about 70 km/h my handlebars flutter. I've seen my rear wheel in not well round, but I've not taken holes or bumps. Total km 3000.
Does anyone has the same problem?
Thank, Marco.
 
If my calculations are right thats about 45 mph. I assume your flutter is on deceleration with your hands off the bars? If so, this is actually a very common phenomenon, and been going on since I started riding in the mid 60s.. There is no real cure that I am aware of, and I'm not sure of the cause, but type " handlebar wobble between 40 and 50 mph" into google and you will have more to read than you care to. All models, all brands. Some do it more than others.

Secondly..how have you seen your rear wheel is not round?

My reccomendation, check your tire pressures (. 36 F 42 R ) and quit taking your hands off the bars lol.
 
My CB750 has done this on and off for 20 years. Improper tire pressure and unevenly worn tires seem to be the main causes. So far, I have only experienced it once on the CB1100 and the cause was low tire pressure in the front tire.
 
Thread starter
Thanks You for answers. The tire pressure is correct. I've seen it standing on central staff on 1°gear on. I can feel better on deceleration as You wrote, but also riding with The hands on the handlebar. I can't believe this could be normal.
 
I wonder whether this post of chync's was meant to be here:

 
Here's superfebo's video. Are you sure the wheel is straight?


 
Thread starter
THanks forse The video.
No, I'm almost sure Thatcher The wheel in not straight. But I can't understand why, And the question is if it could be a problem of spoked wheels and if someone has the same.
.....Almost sure that the wheel is not straight ....
Sorry
 
Of course spoked wheels can be out of true. You need to check the runout and make sure it is within spec.

I really did a job on a bicycle wheel once while tightening spokes. Had to take it to the shop to get it trued correctly.
 
lol I still have a set of spoke wrenched in my tool box from the old days.
 
I meant is the wheel itself at 90° to the swingarm.
 
both my CB750 and CB1100 had a little hop at about 45 and it was the tires that needed balancing . a guy who races has a high speed balancer and hooked me up , now its so smooth all the way up
 
For some reason "some" bikes (not all) experience this problem. My 1976 CB750F does this. My CB1100 did this on the original set of tires after they became worn. When I replaced both tires the problem went away. Will have to see if problem returns when second set of tires gets more mileage on them.
 
The rear wheel does not look perfectly true in tyour video, but it is not out much, and may be within tolerance. Before assuming it is the rear wheel, a few questions I'd ask from my years working in motorcycle shops:

When did it start?
Did it start suddenly, or did it get worse?
Did you change anything, such as tires, handlebars, mirrors?
Did you add any accessories such as fairing or windshield?
 
Thread starter
I felt it about after 1 year of use, and it seems to be progressively worsening. Maybe my hands are more sensible after The use.
 
Back
Top