splice vaccum connection

rhtizzy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm wondering if it's okay to cut the vacuum line on one of the carb inlets to insert a scottolier activator which uses the vacuum when the engine turns on to open a valve and keep it open until the engine switches off:

"Fitting the Scottoiler system first entails finding the vacuum connection. All engines will have a vacuum, and most have a vacuum connection on or near the inlet tracts to balance the fuel injection system. The Scottoiler uses this vacuum to move 3cc of air. It’s used once, when you initially start the engine, lifting a valve inside the oiler. It will not affect the running of the bike if installed correctly as the vacuum side is separated from oil side of oiler by a diaphragm"

I used the scottolier on my previous bike and was well pleased with the result so really hoping to get it working on the Cb1100!
 
I have one on my VFR and love it. I'll be adding mine to the CB very soon, prob one day when the weather is bad so I can install it lol

It didn't hurt anything on my VFR, I'm confident it'll work fine on the CB
 
One thing that I've never quite understood. The recommended flow rate is 1 - 2 drops per minute or I have seen up to 1 drop in 2 - 3 min. Thus means, since the oil has to go somewhere, that 1 or 2 drops of oil is going to fly off the chain each minute that you are riding. What's so great about that? Seems pretty messy to me. And around here the cops would track down your oil slick trail and give you a ticket and a bill for cleaning it up.

oops, changed it to minute.
 
The old cb750,s had auto oil chainers. Very very messy. Old Harley's had them also. If anything take the blow by tube and let it drip on chain. My bike only 670 or so miles both my tubes are bone dry. One drip of oil on a chain at 50 mph want oil the chain but will sling all over the tire, chain guard , swingarm , shocks , and rim that's very old school to me for a nice 2014 new honda non oil leaking bike. :) But again good post, keep this great forum going.
 
Thread starter
Yes, there's lots of good debate in lots of fora on whether the auto oil is better or not than oiling manually or not at all. I've read most of it and that's not the point of my question. What I'd really like to know is if the fuel injection would be effected if I cut the tube running to the airinlet and spliced in an extra tube which would snatch 3cc of air on start. Anybody know anything about the sensitivity of the efi?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
rhtizzy_imp said:
Yes, there's lots of good debate in lots of fora on whether the auto oil is better or not than oiling manually or not at all. I've read most of it and that's not the point of my question. What I'd really like to know is if the fuel injection would be effected if I cut the tube running to the airinlet and spliced in an extra tube which would snatch 3cc of air on start. Anybody know anything about the sensitivity of the efi?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
If the vacuum line,connections and servo unit you fit are leak free then after start up there should be no issues, cannot be any different that a vacuum brake unit in an automotive application.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
One thing that I've never quite understood. The recommended flow rate is 1 - 2 drops per minute or I have seen up to 1 drop in 2 - 3 min. Thus means, since the oil has to go somewhere, that 1 or 2 drops of oil is going to fly off the chain each minute that you are riding. What's so great about that? Seems pretty messy to me. And around here the cops would track down your oil slick trail and give you a ticket and a bill for cleaning it up.

oops, changed it to minute.
With the advent of modern O-ring, X-ring, and similar chains there is just no longer any need for something like a Scottoiler. I would be asking myself why I'd want anything on my bike distributing oil near the rear wheel. In the old days, some bikes had total-loss oil systems that dripped constantly on the chain, and in those same halcyon days of motorcycling, most roads were unpaved so the oil had a beneficial effect on the road surface. Those days are bygone, and good riddance.

Personally I think these devices should not even be legal as they have the potential to create a road hazard.
Ridem32_imp said:
The old cb750,s had auto oil chainers. Very very messy. Old Harley's had them also. If anything take the blow by tube and let it drip on chain. My bike only 670 or so miles both my tubes are bone dry. One drip of oil on a chain at 50 mph want oil the chain but will sling all over the tire, chain guard , swingarm , shocks , and rim that's very old school to me for a nice 2014 new honda non oil leaking bike. :) But again good post, keep this great forum going.
+1
 
Back
Top